Queen On Air

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen On Air

Postby stagnation » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm

testyquesty wrote:Given the ad hoc nature of the live CD I still can't understand why we did not get the TOTP tracks that they recorded and even released in 2011 as bonus filler.

As to the chart placing, I've seen no advertising for the product, nor have I seen it in Tesco, Sainsbury's etc so it's no surprise it bombed much like the original "At the Beeb". Mostly only diehard fans are aware of it. Universal really does not seem to like spending money on promoting legacy artists.

On a side note, I read an interview with Neil Finn (Crowded House's main singer/song writer), who are also signed to Universal and rereleased all their studio and compilations on vinyl and CD with decent bonus materials on the same day as "On Air" and he said their that all artists are now required to have bonus material on their releases. None of their six albums charted in the UK, likely due to Universal stuffing up their releases via third party retailers such as HMV and Amazon the week they were due out.

With this knowledge in hand, we can safely assume if Queen Productions had their way there would have been no 2011 bonus discs, "Let Me in Your Heart Again" and that mess of a live album on "On Air".

The Crowded House rereleases show Queen how to do things properly, all albums are beautifully packaged and have briliant bonus material and have not be remastered the "brickwalling" way. Go have a look!

Roger did appear on the Steve Wright Show on BBC R2 on the week of release, so there was "some" publicity.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby DREAMASTER » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Even now with the Queen On Air, again I saw NO advertising for the product here in Portugal, rien, niet, nada, nothing! Even worse, I can't find the 6 disc deluxe edition anywhere nor the Lp version. So doesn't suprise that this release will be a flop since Universal don't give a shit promoting Queen, in a country where Queen was one of the biggest foreign bands best selling records, with all most every record, vhs or dvd in top 10 or top 20 charts.
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby testyquesty » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:14 am

That's only going to be heard by a very small number of listeners. Over the last few days I've seen ads on UK TV for Floyd, Zep and Phil Collins amongst others pushing new compilations of previously released material but nothing about brand new, interesting material from Queen.

I do wonder, as stated earlier, whether Universal does not like spending money on promoting legacy artists and just wants to milk its artist's hardcore fan bases.
Whats the story? Morning Glory?

testyquesty
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:14 pm

It only shows that Queen is so popular that they don't need to promote them as much as Zeppelin.

Just look at the new GH1 and 2 LPs.. The No.1 selling album in the UK, and GH2 is also one of the all time favourite albums .. No promotion at all, because it doesn't need it.

Even if they don't top the charts, it still sells, but over a longer period.
Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DREAMASTER » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:48 pm

So how about OGRE BATTLE? Is the intro in the deluxe edition included in the 2CD edition?
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby DLCVJazz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:17 pm

TheHero wrote:It only shows that Queen is so popular that they don't need to promote them as much as Zeppelin.

Just look at the new GH1 and 2 LPs.. The No.1 selling album in the UK, and GH2 is also one of the all time favourite albums .. No promotion at all, because it doesn't need it.

The DON'T NEED promote the GH, the rest needs much promotion. Zero marketing makes On Air really floping.

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 pm

DLCVJazz wrote:
TheHero wrote:It only shows that Queen is so popular that they don't need to promote them as much as Zeppelin.

The DON'T NEED promote the GH, the rest needs much promotion. Zero marketing makes On Air really floping.

Exactly! They DID make a video advert for it as well .... as seen on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, QOL.. etc. No one makes TV ads anymore. It is on social media you reach people today.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:27 pm

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:31 pm

phpBB [video]

I also reckon this is a kind of advert . Seen 1.6 million times!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm

phpBB [video]

And this.. also shared on social media.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:44 pm

In addition 5 videos of interviews from On Air has been shared on every official Queen channel!

Roger has also been interviewed on radio for this release.

I really don't think you can' t complain on this.
Even their studio albums did not have that many video adverts back in the day.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby vinylman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 am

DREAMASTER wrote:So how about OGRE BATTLE? Is the intro in the deluxe edition included in the 2CD edition?

Yes.

vinylman
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 am

I'm not at all surprised they havent done any tv ads. This is a niche product at best and really wouldn't drag many folk in however hard you push it.
Also what constitutes a flop? I would be very surprised if it didn't sell in line with expectations
-especially with all these muppets buying all 3 versions. :sleepy:

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:19 am

For those that complain about missing booklet in the vinyl set:

First of all: The 2CD and 3LP set have the same audio content.

What you find in the booklet that comes with the 2CD set, is only track listing and photos.
You find no booklet in the 3LP set, but instead the same content is spread over 6 sides of the inner sleeves covering the 3 LPs. So no reason to complain that there is less content in the vinyl set, because it is not. Actually you get more, because you get the download card as well.

The LP set costs more, but hey; you get 3 massive 12" vinyls inside a gatefold cover with big photos and 3 inner sleeves + downloads .. Of course it should be more expensive. It weighs more than both CD sets.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby testyquesty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 am

TheHero wrote:
DLCVJazz wrote:

Exactly! They DID make a video advert for it as well .... as seen on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, QOL.. etc. No one makes TV ads anymore. It is on social media you reach people today.

Is it though? Yes that might be true for under 40s and I'm only in my early 30s but the target market will be more closely aligned to TV and radio then facetubetweet. It's a product that will be consumed by the 50+ Age market mostly.

Someone mentioned very few tv ads back in the day, well that was easy when they were a going concern, all over MTV and radio when those two platforms mattered.
Whats the story? Morning Glory?

testyquesty
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On