Queen On Air

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen On Air

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:22 pm

I haven't seen a TV ad for any artist the last 5 years or so. Just face it. Times are changing and they are changing fast. I am glad vinyl is back though. :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby QueenFan19 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:10 am

TheHero wrote:I haven't seen a TV ad for any artist the last 5 years or so. Just face it. Times are changing and they are changing fast. I am glad vinyl is back though. :)

I can't believe that -- they are on telly a lot, I see about 6 a day at LEAST, some of those to have adverts at the moment Kate Bush, Craig David, Robbie Williams, etc.
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby LifeisReal » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:00 am

In the 1989 interview with Mike Read Freddie says they recorded 30 songs for the 'Miracle' Album and they had to get it to 10. How many of those not used made it onto Innuendo and Made n Heaven do we think, and how many are stored away for hopefully a future release ??
It's all so beautiful, Like a landscape painting in the sky

LifeisReal
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 am

^

Well, Let's break it down. Freddie says they had 30...

The Miracle

1. Party
2. Khashoggi's Ship
3. The Miracle
4. I Want It All
5. The Invisible Man
6.(and 11*) Breakthru
7. Rain Must Fall
8. Scandal
9. My Baby Does Me
10. Was It All Worth It.

That's 11 songs leaving 19 more to find if you figure that Breakthru was a combo of two songs - Roger's Breakthru and Freddie's A New Life is Born demo. So now we're down to 19 to account for.

The CD features:
12. Hang On In There
13. Chinese Torture

Down to 17 to account for.

B-Sides from the session:

14. Hijack My Heart
15. Stealin'
16. My Life Has Been Saved

Down to 14.

Complete songs we know about from a few bits...

17. Too Much Love Will Kill You (slated for the album and basically used almost as is for Made In Heaven)
18. Dog With A Bone (Fan Club song)

Down to 12.

Incomplete Demos that have leaked from theses sessions:

19. Face It Alone
20. I Guess We're Falling Out
21. River of Words (Convention leak only)

Down to 9.

Now let's venture to Innuendo and Made In Heaven to look at possibly tracks originating from the Miracle sessions would appear although it is unlikely as in the same Mike Read interview the band stated that most often they started fresh rather than dip into the old although with MIH that was the only choice. NOW MIH is easier to look at and settle things so let's go there;

Beautiful Day originated during The Game sessions, Made In Heaven and I Was Born To Love You from Mr. Bad Guy, Heaven For Everyone from the Cross, Too Much Love and My Life Has Been Saved are from The Miracle but already accounted for. I would say Mother Love and A Winter's Tale are definitely out as they were amongst Freddie's last recordings so it is doubtful they started during the Miracle. Let Me Live is murky but definitely began with Rod Stewart and it is thought to have been from The Works era (with some saying it may have started as early back as A Day At The Races -- although personally I wonder if people are confusing Let Me Live with Brian's Let Me Out from Starfleet that would make sense to have started a bit back). THAT leaves You Don't Fool Me. No one seems to know when it was recorded. It was mistakenly assumed to have been a Hot Space outtake when liner notes said it hearkened back to that era (not understanding that hearkened back didn't mean actually came from) So I guess that's a MAYBE though I would doubt it.

Heading backwards now through Innuendo;

THIS one is tough to say when they started and if there was any overlap. One thing we DO know is that All God's People initially was demoed during Barcelona and then again by Queen during The Miracle sessions as it was on a 13 track cassette preview the band gave Capitol Records and has since leaked on line...so yes definitively:

22. All God's People (Miracle Sessions Demo)

Everything else? Tough to say. If we were to guess: We know Brian started working on his solo album around 1988 (taking some material from 1980), SO it's possible that tracks like Headlong and I Can't Live With You were initially tried out during the Miracle but going by interviews it seemed that these were the first things tried for Innuendo.

The rest of the album shows no indication of beginning life BEFORE the Innuendo sessions but that certainly isn't definitive.

Lost Opportunity was definitely written/recorded after Innuendo for being a B-Side

Which leaves the demos which have been attributed to being Innuendo sessions:

Assassin (if it even exists which appears to be more and more doubtful so I won't count it)
Robbery
Self Made Man
My Secret Fantasy

These I don't know about so they could have started out during the Miracle.

The last two: Affairs and Grand Dame- played by Dave Richards and most likely after the Miracle but again it's not proven.

So we have 22 KNOWN tracks. And let's say *MAYBE* 4 possibles from post Miracle sessions leaving approximately 5-6 unaccounted for.

That would be exciting indeed...BUT:

30 sounds to me like a rounded number (So 5-6 could be 1-2...yes it could go up to 7-8 but usually you would round up)

The band also said in the same interview that they worked on tracks for a bit and then concentrated on what ones to finish for the album....and then they had some they could complete which they released as CD bonus and b-sides - So it's quite possible they have NOTHING more in the vault that aren't incomplete snippets or just some jam sessions...nothing really releasable without a lot of work...I would guess nothing that's even as close as Let Me In Your Heat Again for example....

In fact if you look at I Guess We're Falling Out, Face It Alone, and River of Words (not to mention possibilities like Grand Dame or Affairs) they are far from releasable at all and it wouldn't surprise me if those were the best of the bunch.) Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to hear these in high quality and as a full studio archive release - absolutely but I'd just caution anyone thinking they are holding some #1 type gem. I think Let Me In Your Heart was a true abberation - though I hope I'm wrong!

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:30 pm

The song The Miracle could also account for another, as the end section is quite noticeably different to the main part of the song.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Kes wrote:The song The Miracle could also account for another, as the end section is quite noticeably different to the main part of the song.

In fact, there are two separate, unrelated sections at the end.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Yeah, but you've got to feel like the last bit has the makings of it's own song's chorus...

"That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends"

There's a little chord pattern in Soul Brother that's too good to waste in a place like that, just before, and then carrying on behind the solo.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:41 pm

That time will come.... a bit like Friends Will Be Friends.. only better.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:00 am

WeeMann wrote:
Kes wrote:The song The Miracle could also account for another, as the end section is quite noticeably different to the main part of the song.

In fact, there are two separate, unrelated sections at the end.

Good points both. I think it would be likely that The Miracle was at least two tracks!

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:55 am

The intro of The Miracle: Reminds me of Killer Queen.

Then when vocals come in, it sounds like My Fairy King:

"In the land where horses born with eagle wings and honey bees have lost their stings...

"Every drop of rain that falls in Sahara Desert says it all. It's a miracle..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:11 am

Well I finally got around to getting the triple lp of Air last week.

Fine product we know. Soundstage is excellent. Drum sound superb particularly on Session 6. Love the production of the vocals on the fast version of WWRY

Negatives. Surprisingly I think the sleeve is a let down and I don't mean the front cover. I think that's the best part. The sleeve material is such that it will mark very easily as it has no film on it. Very retro but not very practical in my experience
The inners are similar and a little disappointing as there is no booklet etc which seems stingy bearing in mind the eye watering £50 retail price for what is effectively a double album stretched to a triple
Maybe its just my copy but the inners are incredibly tight in the sleeve to the point of almost damaging them to remove them. Cant say i've ever had that problem before but it is very awkward.

I'll score it 9/10 for the music 6/10 for presentation

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 am

LifeisReal wrote:In the 1989 interview with Mike Read Freddie says they recorded 30 songs for the 'Miracle' Album and they had to get it to 10. How many of those not used made it onto Innuendo and Made n Heaven do we think, and how many are stored away for hopefully a future release ??

They made a similar claim for The Game.

In both cases, there's a real possibility that the number was a PR exaggeration - "look at how creative we are"

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby LifeisReal » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Comprehensive reply Soxtalon. How we would all love to really have Greg Brooks job and really know.
It's all so beautiful, Like a landscape painting in the sky

LifeisReal
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Guru wrote:
LifeisReal wrote:In the 1989 interview with Mike Read Freddie says they recorded 30 songs for the 'Miracle' Album and they had to get it to 10. How many of those not used made it onto Innuendo and Made n Heaven do we think, and how many are stored away for hopefully a future release ??

In both cases, there's a real possibility that the number was a PR exaggeration - "look at how creative we are"

And famously it has been claimed by some that The Game was originally slated to be a double album. Not seen any proof to back this up mind, but the claim has been made!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:33 am

Guru wrote:

I have heard this too. When you think about it the only extra we have heard from "The Game" sessions is embryo version of the "It's A Beautiful Day" which amounts to little in its raw state. Even the spruced up version used on "Made In Heaven" isn't that brilliant in terms of content. It could be that they had 25 pieces in a similar state. I'd say its a matter of Quality over Quantity.

If there was that much in the bank then we would have had more tracks as B-sides etc. These would of been used as a pull to make you buy the singles.

'The Works' era is a good example of a lack of quality tracks not used - all of the album tracks were used up as the B-sides of the singles:

1. "Radio Ga Ga" [Single Release]
2. "Tear It Up" [b-side to 'Hammer To Fall']
3. "It's a Hard Life" [Single Release]
4. "Man on the Prowl" [b-side to 'Thank God It's Christmas']

5. "Machines (Or 'Back to Humans')" [b-side to 'Break Free']
6. "I Want to Break Free" [Single Release]
7. "Keep Passing the Open Windows" [b-side to 'Thank God It's Christmas']
8. "Hammer to Fall" [Single Release]
9. "Is This the World We Created...?" [b-side to 'Hard Life']

Nothing like making your fans buy the same thing twice. Although i will make the exception that we do have 'Let Me In Your Heart Again' now and we know that 'Man On Fire' is on a master tape somewhere.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On