Do we think [insert hypothetical product] will get released?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Do we think [insert hypothetical product] will get relea

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:22 pm

I suggested a comprehensive 12" Collection a few years back, and got told "Is there actually a market for it?"

I said "Yeah, I think so!"

Got to be pretty complete though. Just the extended versions that aren't exactly the same as the regular album cuts, ie Bohemian Rhapsody.

So, I'd reckon :-

Back Chat
Staying Power (John Luongo remix)
Radio Ga Ga
I Want To Break Free
It's A Hard Life
Hammer To Fall
Thank God It's Christmas (yes, there's a version with a slightly longer intro!)
Man On The Prowl
Keep Passing The Open Windows
Machines (US Instrumental version)
One Vision
A Kind Of Magic
A Dozen are Roses For My Darling (another one with an extended intro)
Friends Will Be Friends
Pain Is So Close To Pleasure
One Year Of Love
I Want It All (Rocks Hybrid mix)
Breakthru'
The Invisible Man
Scandal
Innuendo (Explosive Version)
You Don't Fool Me (just a couple of the decent mixes, like the "Late" mix by David Richards)
Under Pressure (Club 2000 remix by Roger Taylor).

Have I missed any?

Maybe they could make it a bigger set by also compiling ALL the Hollywood mixes, including the promo only ones.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Think you're spot on there, Kes. And the inclusion of the Hollywood remixes would be nice... iirc, there are several mixes of You Don't Fool Me that have never had a cd issue, though there may be a promo cd I've not heard of with them on?

KNIGHT's suggestion of a singles collection is an interesting one. Queen have been content to package up the Greatest Hits albums for decades now, and understandably so, given how huge they are. But other bands have restructured and repackaged several times over... so many it is time for a Singles set?

The big question with that though would be where the cut-off points would be. Would they only include the UK singles, or every A-side internationally? Would they stop at No One But You, or carry on to the present day? Would they include the b-sides? Sadly their singles collection just isn't 'neat' and tidy. Especially post 2000, when you have all the various Queen+ singles, various remixes and several older tracks getting released and doing very little.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby BitterTears » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:15 pm

I don't think anyone would be complaining if they stopped at the Made in Heaven singles (although would that include IWBTLY or not..?)

The only thing is though...have they not already have an attempt at a singles collection and we ended up with 4 expensive box sets full of CDs with two songs on each.

I think B sides have to go on or what's the point as it would be so close to Greatest Hits (except include a few singles that didn't do soon well) so some B sides would be nice as a few of them aren't available on any format anymore. But then, how many tracks is that? Could end up being a fair old number of discs.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:26 pm

BitterTears wrote:I don't think anyone would be complaining if they stopped at the Made in Heaven singles (although would that include IWBTLY or not..?)

The only thing is though...have they not already have an attempt at a singles collection and we ended up with 4 expensive box sets full of CDs with two songs on each.

I think B sides have to go on or what's the point as it would be so close to Greatest Hits (except include a few singles that didn't do soon well) so some B sides would be nice as a few of them aren't available on any format anymore. But then, how many tracks is that? Could end up being a fair old number of discs.

Again, though, if they do up to the Made In Heaven singles, do they go just for the UK releases, or all singles? Do things like Mustapha get on there, because they were huge in some territories? Do they include Love Of My Life (Live), and if so do they also include We Will Rock You (Live) which was a single from the same album in some countries? How's about the Five Live EP, which was before Made in Heaven?

There's something 'akward' about it however they do it. If they just went for studio tracks up to No One But You, then you've got 3 full discs, and then an extra one with an additional 30 minutes or so for good measure. Maybe they could combine that final disc with the 'proper' B-sides, but that'd leave out any additional B-sides of note like the single version of Lily of the Valley, or the instrumental Machines.

I collated all the singles myself a few years ago, which is how I know how awkward it'd be if they go for everything. My 'workaround' is in the spoiler box, but this isn't how I'd expect them to actually release it.

Spoiler! :
<home made collection only - not a suggested release!>

DISC ONE: A-SIDES 1973-1978
01. Keep Yourself Alive
02. Liar [Single Edit]
03. Seven Seas of Rhye
04. Killer Queen
05. Flick of the Wrist [Single Mix]
06. Now I'm Here
07. Bohemian Rhapsody
08. You're My Best Friend
09. Somebody to Love
10. Tie Your Mother Down [Single Mix]
11. Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together) [Single Mix]
12. Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
13. Long Away
14. We Are the Champions
15. We Will Rock You
16. Spread Your Wings
17. It's Late [Single Edit]
18. Bicycle Race
19. Fat Bottomed Girls [Single Edit]
20. Don't Stop Me Now
21. Jealousy
22. Mustapha

DISC TWO: A-SIDES 1979-1984
01. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
02. Save Me
03. Play the Game
04. Another One Bites the Dust
05. Need Your Loving Tonight
06. Flash [Single Version]
07. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
08. Body Language
09. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
10. Calling All Girls
11. Staying Power
12. Back Chat [Single Remix]
13. Radio Ga Ga
14. I Want to Break Free [Single Remix]
15. It's a Hard Life
16. Hammer to Fall [Single Edit]
17. Man on the Prowl
18. Thank God It's Christmas

DISC THREE: A-SIDES 1985-1991
01. One Vision [Single Version]
02. A Kind of Magic
03. Princes of the Universe
04. Friends Will Be Friends
05. Pain is So Close to Pleasure [Single Remix]
06. One Year of Love
07. Who Wants to Live Forever [Single Edit]
08. I Want It All [Single Version]
09. Breakthru
10. The Invisible Man
11. Scandal
12. The Miracle
13. Innuendo
14. I'm Going Slightly Mad
15. Headlong
16. These Are the Days of Our Lives
17. The Show Must Go On

DISC FOUR: A-SIDES 1995-2011
01. Heaven for Everyone [Single Version]
02. A Winter's Tale
03. I Was Born to Love You
04. Too Much Love Will Kill You
05. Let Me Live
06. You Don't Fool Me [European Single Edit]
07. No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)
08. We Will Rock You [Radio Edit] - Five + Queen
09. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen + Annie Crummer
10. Solo Por Ti - Queen + Eva Maria
11. Invincible Hope - Queen featuring Treena Morris
12. No-One But You - Queen + Kerry Ellis
13. Say It's Not True - Queen + Paul Rodgers
14. C-lebrity - Queen + Paul Rodgers
15. We Believe [Single Edit] - Queen + Paul Rodgers
16. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen + Muppets
17. Keep Yourself Alive [Long Lost Retake]
18. Stone Cold Crazy
19. Sheer Heart Attack

DISC FIVE: LIVE SINGLES & REMIXES
01. Love of My Life [Live in Frankfurt 1979]
02. We Will Rock You (Fast) [Live Killers Version]
03. Keep Yourself Alive [Live in Montreal 1981]
04. We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions [Live at Wembley 1986]
05. Somebody to Love [Live at Wembley Stadium 1992] - George Michael and Queen
06. These are the Days of Our Lives [Live at Wembley Stadium 1992] - George Michael and Queen with Lisa Stansfield
07. Reaching Out / Tie Your Mother Down [Live in Sheffield 2005] - Queen + Paul Rodgers
08. Fat Bottomed Girls [Live in Sheffield 2005] - Queen + Paul Rodgers
09. We Will Rock You [Rick Rubin "Ruined" Remix]
10. We Are the Champions [Rick Rubin "Ruined" Remix]
11. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen/Wyclef Jean featuring Pras & Free
12. Under Pressure [Rah Mix Radio Edit] - Queen + David Bowie
13. Flash [Vanguard Radio Mix]
14. It's a Beautiful Day [Techno Remix]
15. Another One Bites the Dust [Cedric Gervais & Second Sun Radio Mix]
16. We Will Rock You [Von Lichten Mix]

DISC SIX: B-SIDES
01. Mad the Swine
02. See What a Fool Iv'e Been
03. Lily of the Valley [Single Version]
04. I'm in Love With My Car [Single Version]
05. A Human Body
06. Soul Brother
07. I Go Crazy
08. Machines [Instrumental Single Mix]
09. Blurred Vision
10. A Dozen Red Roses for My Darling
11. Forever
12. Hang On In There
13. Stealin'
14. Hijack My Heart
15. My Life Has Been Saved [Single Version]
16. Lost Opportunity
17. Queen Talks
18. It's a Beautiful Day [Single Version]
19. Stone Cold Crazy [Live at the Rainbow '74]
20. My Melancholy Blues [Live in Houston '77]
21. Rock in Rio Blues [Live in Rio, January 1985]

DISC SEVEN: EXTENDED MIXES
01. Back Chat [Extended Version]
02. Staying Power [John Luongo Remix]
03. Radio Ga Ga [Extended Version]
04. It's a Hard Life [Extended Version]
05. Hammer to Fall [The Headbangers Mix]
06. Man on the Prowl [Extended Version]
07. Keep Passing the Open Windows [Extended Version]
08. One Vision [Extended Version]
09. A Kind of Magic [Extended Version]
10. A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling [Extended Version]

DISC EIGHT: EXTENDED MIXES
11. Friends Will Be Friends [Extended Version]
02. Pain Is So Close to Pleasure [Extended Single Remix]
03. One Year of Love [Extended Version]
04. I Want It All [Queen Rocks Version]
05. Breakthru [Extended Version]
06. The Invisible Man [Extended Version]
07. Scandal [Extended Version]
08. Innuendo [Explosive Version]
09. You Don't Fool Me [David Richards 'Late' Mix]
10. Under Pressure [Club 2000 Remix]
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 am

Yeah, that's a fair old set. But I do like the idea of getting all the B sides and 12" mixes out there again somehow. I get the feeling this isn't much of a priority for QPL at the moment but a singles collection would be as good a way as any. On their own, a set of B sides and 12" mixes probably isn't much of a seller but combined with single A sides and it becomes much more Greatest Hits-esque and presumably a much more commercial proposition

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:38 pm

BitterTears wrote:Yeah, that's a fair old set. But I do like the idea of getting all the B sides and 12" mixes out there again somehow. I get the feeling this isn't much of a priority for QPL at the moment but a singles collection would be as good a way as any. On their own, a set of B sides and 12" mixes probably isn't much of a seller but combined with single A sides and it becomes much more Greatest Hits-esque and presumably a much more commercial proposition

Except, this was muted for release several years ago and watered down to several pointless CD single boxsets that offered little that hadn't already been released on CD (CD debut of A Human Body was the sole exciting inclusion I believe - but even that is something that should have been released year and years earlier on a digital format?). Assuming Greg Brooks speaks honestly, he put forward an amazing boxset with all sorts of b-sides and stray mixes etc - and QPL decided they didn't want to release it.

Most release ideas that start to seem interesting for fans, Roger and/or Brian put the kibosh on it. QPL own all their studio recordings and have the ability to release pretty much anything they'd like to, even if it wouldn't sell well - Universal aren't going to turn round and reject or water down interesting Queen releases. QPL just don't like putting fresh/unreleased content out into the world - simple as that.

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Yeah, I did mention the Singles Collection getting watered down earlier.

I understand they don't seem keen at all to put out unreleased stuff but the thing about the B sides and 12 inches etc is that none of that is actually unreleased. It's all already out there. It would be nice to get it all in one package though. But I agree it's not going to happen

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 pm

BitterTears wrote:but the thing about the B sides and 12 inches etc is that none of that is actually unreleased. It's all already out there.

Sure, but there's stuff that has never come out digitally - and QPL would see that as an upgrade (and therefore "new") and therefore balk at the idea. Studio material wise, they're not keen on releasing anything outside of the album tracks and anything else that has come out in recent-ish years has been teased out of them, with the final version far from what was first envisaged or hoped for.

QPL could release expanded deluxe editions of every studio album to massive financial and critical success - but instead they'll release vinyl re-issues of greatest hits albums or "vanilla" Hammersmith '75 DVDs. Hammersmith should not have been a standalone release - it is so unspectacular nad should have been a bonus on the Rainbow set or put out in the BBC package.

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenVault » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:52 am

Concerning Kes' point about an extended collection.. I think the ship has kind of sailed for it being a mainstream release. I think one thing Queen could do is utilize the Record Store Day and Record Store Black Friday events. I think that would be the perfect avenue for releasing some of these long out of print extended versions. They could do a colored red/green Thank God It's Christmas 12" with the two extended songs. Maybe add a download code so it could be available digitally. Or maybe do a CD single format (like Hollywood did with Queen's First EP). So many other artists really take advantage of Record Store Day. Queen have done a few nice releases, but so much more could be done. Thoughts?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated November 5, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:39 am

QueenVault wrote:Concerning Kes' point about an extended collection.. I think the ship has kind of sailed for it being a mainstream release. I think one thing Queen could do is utilize the Record Store Day and Record Store Black Friday events. I think that would be the perfect avenue for releasing some of these long out of print extended versions. They could do a colored red/green Thank God It's Christmas 12" with the two extended songs. Maybe add a download code so it could be available digitally. Or maybe do a CD single format (like Hollywood did with Queen's First EP). So many other artists really take advantage of Record Store Day. Queen have done a few nice releases, but so much more could be done. Thoughts?

To be fair i wouldn't be surprised if we see a 7" vinyl version of the "Single Collection" boxes in the future. They did it with the Freddie stuff. The Who have just finished their version (across 4 boxes) and it proved quite popular. This time however they would have to do it properly. The correct b-sides, as some replacements were used on the EMI/Parlophone CD-boxes. They could if they want also issue a separate box of the 12" singles.

I'm not a big fan of the RSD analogy it's become. A lot of the product released usually ends up on eBay at vastly inflated prices which takes out the meaning of what RSD is about. The idea is to get people back into independent stores and take a look around (and spend money). Not go in buy the product rush home and stick it on ebay and hope to make profit.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

I agree that Record Store Day has turned into just another opporutnity for the big record companies, stores and bands to sell a few more units. The whole point was to get people buying stuff in person in the independent record stores.....yet all the stuff is now orderable online well in advance; WTF?!!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On