Do we think [insert hypothetical product] will get released?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Do we think [insert hypothetical product] will get released?

Postby QueenVault » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:32 am

Over the past five years, we've seen more archival based products coming out from Queen and it's members (2011 Bonus EP material, Rainbow, Hammersmith, redone Barcelona, The Lot, unreleased songs on 'Forever', and the upcoming 'On Air'). With this in mind, what are your opinions of what will be released in the future? I've listed a few of my thoughts below and why it may or may not be on the cards:

Live At Knebworth ‘86
Arguments For:

- Last Freddie concert
- Multi-tracks exist (were used for Live Magic and for the Under Pressure Rah CD single)
- Should be ready to go… wasn’t it announced to accompany the Q+AL Sonisphere concert?
Arguments Against:
- Magic tour already has 2 DVD and CD releases
- No video
- We will be past the 30th anniversary date

Queen Anthology
Arguments For:

- The ultimate fan-based release
- Archival material has appeared on other releases (2011 Bonus EPs, Live at the Rainbow)
- Smile material and Polar Bear have appeared on various documentaries over the years (Days Of Our Lives, Rags To Rhapsody)
Arguments Against:
- Has the opportunity for this to be a major release passed? Physical sales are negligible.
- May not hold up as a stand-alone release. The Beatles Anthology may be the only example of this format being widely successful
- Releasing a large amount of unreleased material at once will limit bonus content on future releases
- High production cost. Unreleased takes will need mixed/mastered, etc. A lot of cost for “substandard” material.

Brian May Box Set
Arguments For:

- Official Youtube videos have audio remastered by Bob Ludwig. This suggests singles and albums have already been remastered. Surely they wouldn’t use Ludwig just to remaster audio for a Youtube video.
- Since You’ve Been Gone from Brixton has been uploaded officially on youtube with remastered audio and upconverted video
- Gotta keep up with Roger
- Solo material has been out of print for a while
Arguments Against:
- Any collaboration material is probably a rights nightmare.

Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, 79
Arguments For:

- Great setlist
- Potential for video release
- Audio and video has been featured on other releases (Kampuchea, 2011 Bonus videos)
Arguments Against:
- Too close to Live Killers?
- Possible confusion with the Live At The Odeon release.
- Paris could be a possible alternative?
- Multitrack may not exist?

Queen Super Deluxe Album editions (similar to Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Who, Paul McCartney, etc)
Contents: Book, CD album, vinyl album, live CD from that era, live DVD from that era, studio outtakes CD
Arguments For:

- All albums have been remastered and are available in CD and vinyl format already (easy to bundle into a release).
- It follows a model used by other successful bands
- 2011 Bonus EPs show a willingness to release archive material
- Successful release of archival live material like Rainbow and Hammersmith
Arguments Against:
- Unlikely all albums would be done in this format (expect only the most popular albums)
- Potential for a lazy release (example: AKOM CD, AKOM vinyl, Wembley, and Bonus EP)
- Is there widespread interest?
- Is there a willingness to release anything in addition to what was on the Bonus EPs?
- If they really wanted to do this, it would have been done in 2011

Hyde Park
Arguments For:

- Legendary concert
- Multitracks exist
Arguments Against:
- Poor video to accompany audio release?
- 40th Anniversary date has passed
- Already had 2 70s concerts released in the past 2 years
- Only a few new songs that don’t appear on the Hammersmith or Rainbow release (4 total)
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated February 16, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Re: Do we think [insert hypothetical product] will get relea

Postby Kes » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:39 am

I see the potential for a VERY comprehensive Live Killers release.

There's an absolute wealth of live material from 1979.

I also see the potential for a decent live release next year, taking in and possibly combining the Earl's Court and Houston gigs from 40 years ago.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Another_Roger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Kes wrote:I see the potential for a VERY comprehensive Live Killers release.

My mouth is watering.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby MrConnorMcloud » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 pm

A live release next year surely is on the cards with both Houston and Earle Court anniversaries coming up. After the truely embarrasing release of Messenger of the Gods this year I pray for a radical improvement!! However,this is QPL we're talking about so they'll just release whatever they damn well please regardless of what the fans want.

MrConnorMcloud
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenVault » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:41 pm

There's not really much more you can do with Freddie's stuff. I think the point was to capitalize on the vinyl trend and get his music back on catalogue for download and streaming. At least it wraps up some loose ends from the Solo Collection.
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated February 16, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 pm

I agree on the Freddie product. Barring anything we *DON'T* know about, I think the only thing from Freddie solo that I'd like to see end up somewhere would be his Dominion performance. But that's still owned by Dave Clark AFAIK.

As far as the original post's suggestions:

Knebworth - It's practically done I believe - just waiting. It was announced in the original Sonisphere press release but then never heard again and then Sonisphere was cancelled and it was left in the doldrums. I would eventually want it - BUT there is serious market saturation with the Magic Tour. So it potentially will be released at some point but I'd bet not for a long long time unless they do some kind of very large live release set like a Big box set with a gig from each tour (which I'd love myself -- but it probably wouldn't be cost effective).

Queen Anthology/Super Deluxe - I've come to terms with the fact that I don't believe we will see a project like this until we see either Brian or Roger join Freddie (to be nice). I just feel like more and more they don't want this project out there until Queen is no longer active and not to start any argument - in THEIR eyes Queen is still an active band. I also agree that it is not a cost effective project at this point. I also know there are those on the inside still trying to find a way to push for something like this....but I kind of feel we're much more likely to get drips and drabs on releases. I'm kind of hoping that when Queen is no longer active we'll get something like the new Pink Floyd set that's coming....Super Deluxes could happen but I agree it would probably only be the big albums - ANATO, NOTW, The Game, Innuendo. But I'd love to see something like this for sure.

Hammersmith 1979 - QV said it all. it's there. I'd love it. I kind of wish they had done A Night at the Odeon Super Deluxe set and included both Hammersmith gigs. Hopefully we can get this with the Live Killers type set Kes is talking about (and which I also believe is being worked on - There's too much smoke there - too many mentions about something from that time that SOMETHING will be released. I just hope it's as extensive as possible...

Brian Box - Possible. I do think there will be some way that Brian's stuff is put back in print/streamable. Just not sure how it's going to go. It could simply be just a barebones reissue though. Somehow I'd at least like to get Royal Albert Hall in there. I'm betting something pretty minimal if anything though.

Hyde Park - For some reason I don't think so. I think we may get drabs from it - but (speculation) I don't think they are happy with what they have (and see the next entry as well)....I'd love to be proven wrong

Earls Court/Houston - Again I'm hoping so...but I worry that the BAND will think they are starting to oversaturate the 70s with Rainbow, Hammersmith, etc. If they have those two and then there are ideas for Hyde Park and a Live Killers box, AND Earls Court/Houston. I'd be fine with it but they may not be.

Some other ideas or possibilities:

Rio 1985 - They obviously already have it and it would just need a tune up - and perhaps at some point they'll want to go back to the 80s after a few 70s gigs.

QAL - Like it or not - I think at some point they'll commemorate the collaboration with some type of live release at least and maybe they would test the waters with a non-album single.

My own wish....

An official Roger Taylor live album (not Cyberbarn) - Something from the Happiness Tour....but I'd take one from the Electric Fire tour as well.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AlexKx » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:16 pm

1) Re-release of "The Lot" that includes the "short promotional film" for the song, "I Wanna Testify". Mmmm, though Taylor should probably do like # 4 below...a new "The Lot" could be a best of on some level of the # 4 suggestions as well of course on blu-ray so hours of content can be included...
2) QUEEN audio only live concerts. Why do they always have to be ONLY the ones that were filmed? Didn't these guys play some interesting and good music somewhere along the way?
3) QUEEN + Adam Lambert studio l.p.
4) Hopefully after # 3 they will start to re-record different versions of all of their songs for a number of years (and with different recordings artists) and then do massive extended compilation box sets of each studio l.p.!!! They could be released with all of that plus demos, outtakes, instrumentals, remixes, re-recordings (and with different artists as well since QUEEN + can be flexible), documentary on the project (recording, making of, rare and unreleased photos, new artwork genuinely pertaining to the project being covered, behind the scenes on the "short promotional films) the "short promotional films" that pertain to each studio l.p. and maybe unreleased alternative versions, 5.1, and hopefully on blu-ray!!!
5) New Brian May studio l.p.s
6) New Roger Tayler studio l.p.s
7) A basic five c.d. set anthologizing what could be a "best of" in the expanded box sets in the future.
8/ Vinyl picture discs. Maybe these could be included in some sort of extended individual box sets for each studio l.p. before the gigantica ones could be done that could include a smaller selection of contents from # 4.
9) MORE colored discs. Because hello, they kick arse AND "Studio Collection" is limited edition and at some point will be out of print anyway. (They could make the discs marble colored and tie died looking! :D) Of course that all does not need to happen for many years, eh. Any future box sets like this could be more appropriated containing what could be future studio l.p. releases as QUEEN + but in smaller sets such as maybe three sets spreading out how many are in each box AFTER four more new studio l.p.s are done by QUEEN + in the future.
10) Have each studio l.p. released as 45 RPM speed vinyls like Metallica did THOUGH those probably would be best served in # 4 type of box sets. Those box sets would probably have to be two or three sets each though. Each could have exciting new artwork on the covers that pertain to the original artwork.
11) Same thing for the solo l.p.s done as # 4! (And on blu-ray of course.)
12) A comprehensive compilation of tracks that were singles everywhere in all formats on something like fifteen c.d.s AFTER again QUEEN + start recording again and do another new studio l.p. or two.
13) Have recording artists re-record Freddie's solo stuff to be included in # 4 type of releases!
There is nothing saying that they were unwilling to do massive woopty dopey box sets just because of the way things unfolded in 2011. If anything it was probably the lawyers who told them to hold back on things. As it is the Led Zeppelin box sets seemed to have been waaaay held back on content that probably is in their vaults that they are lying about in terms of what else maybe unreleased. I would not be adverse to QUEEN doing a bare bones box set series of their studio l.p.s like Zeppelin but maybe that is where each studio l.p. could be in the 45 RPM speed like Metallica did...including the bonus material...and of course including c.d.s in them as well covering all of the music as well.

There will also need to be re-relases of the live l.p.s that have had shit covers and artwork this past decade.

...and a teddy bear. I need a teddy bear....real bad. :lol: Right up the... Oh, and stickers!!! Fo' real yo'!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

All you're given
Is what you've been given a thousand times before
And the streets don't change, but baby the names...

action
Don't Stop Me Now

don't you fucking pity me

Postby eiricd » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:21 am

* the albums in 5.1
* keep going with what appears to be a chronological live release schedule - I am all for Hyde Park 76, whatever they have available!
* live albums where no video footage is available !
* I keep hoping for the QPR tours on blu ray - throw in Hyde park 2005 and South America 2008 as a bonus
* the box set of unreleased stuff

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby bluerhap » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Think next release will be Earls Court and perhaps Houston but the one I am looking forward to is the live killers release with both Hammersmith or Paris a possibility. Great set list and band at their live peak.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am

Kes wrote:I see the potential for a VERY comprehensive Live Killers release.

As soxtalon says, this simply keeps being mentioned far too often for it not to be in the pipeline as a potential release. I'd love to see an expanded Live Killers.

Also, would be great to see Brian's stuff back out there. A Lot-style collection would be excellent, but to be honest I'd settle for some decent remasters, especially of Back to the Light, I think that album could benefit a lot from it.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby DREAMASTER » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:59 am

Brian may stuff and Queen Hyde park that may surprise some people.
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:11 pm

DREAMASTER wrote:Brian may stuff and Queen Hyde park that may surprise some people.

In the pipeline ?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby leon albert » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:24 pm

MrConnorMcloud wrote:A live release next year surely is on the cards with both Houston and Earle Court anniversaries coming up. After the truely embarrasing release of Messenger of the Gods this year I pray for a radical improvement!! However,this is QPL we're talking about so they'll just release whatever they damn well please regardless of what the fans want.

I don't swing that way!

InfantigoTragusRx

leon albert
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:44 am

In 96, Let Me Live included B-sides from the 'upcoming' Live at the BBC release. So that's taken 20 years to happen.

So I guess that means the 'upcoming' Queen Anthology mentioned in the Freddie boxset in 2000 should be released in about 4 years time

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On