Freddie Mercury ITV Docudrama - The Great Pretender

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Freddie Mercury ITV Docudrama - The Great Pretender

Postby soxtalon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:54 am

musicalprostitute wrote:Brian has stated on his soapbox that they were aware of this shitty documentary for six months now and politely asked Channel 5 to 'bin it'. Why have Queenonline (the official site of Queen) been advertising it all this time then? Just seems odd.

Have they been? I haven't seen them advertise it at all. There's a thread here about it in the forums but that's hardly advertisement....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby julymorning » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:44 am

I just watched it.

Had wanted to have Queen concerts playing from the DVD player while my daughter and her husband were here for Thanksgiving. My way of showing my thanks to Freddie and his spirit, what he gave to music on this anniversary.

My friend who was supposed to set it up never did. So I watched this Who Wants To Live Forever TV docudrama alone as Thursday turned into Friday, much sobered about this part of his life, and his death. It somehow feels more fitting anyway, this way.

If I could, I would tell him how very sorry for the pain and suffering he endured, both physically and mentally.

In the end death robs us of everything. Except peace.

I did not watch it in an artistic way at all. It's impossible not to notice the ridiculous attempt to characterize the other 3 Queen members, and for a fraction of a second in the early part I wondered if they had gotten Howard Stern to play Brian....and I found Roger's character annoying. Those wigs!! :roll: From there I just ignored everything but the information and Fred. Or rather the character of Fred.

As badly as this was put together, I think it is an important portrayal of that time in the HIV/AIDS community, and in particular how it related to what Freddie went through.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:57 pm

JLP wrote:Was it advertised on the main site? Or just in this thread?

It wasn't even this site! My bad. It was actually Brian's website now I come to think of it (which still makes no sense). Ignore my original nonsense. :)
Last edited by musicalprostitute on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:03 pm

In the end I did not bother with it. Watched At the Rainbow instead.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:12 pm

JLP wrote:In the end I did not bother with it. Watched At the Rainbow instead.

Right choice. It truly was a crock of shite. Deaky had a ginger permed wig on from what I remember, Roger acted like an excitable puppy and looked like a cunt and Brian may looked like a hybrid of Alan Davies and Fagin.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby eiricd » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:06 pm

the other band members feature in just a few scenes, and there are hardly any lines delivered. Yes, the acting and the wigs are awful, but all in all, they are ALMOST not in the film at all.

The guy playing Freddie though, he really impressed me. So much of the mannerisms were right on the money. Not to mention that he looks ALOT like Freddie. Add the fact that he has no acting experience?
Impressive imo

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:36 pm

JLP wrote:In the end I did not bother with it. Watched At the Rainbow instead.

You made the right choice!

eiricd wrote:the other band members feature in just a few scenes, and there are hardly any lines delivered. Yes, the acting and the wigs are awful, but all in all, they are ALMOST not in the film at all.

The guy playing Freddie though, he really impressed me. So much of the mannerisms were right on the money. Not to mention that he looks ALOT like Freddie. Add the fact that he has no acting experience?
Impressive imo

I'm wondering if I should go back and watch it again. I don't think I could. John Blunt is the guy who portrayed Freddie, who is in a Queen cover band.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:31 pm

eiricd wrote:the other band members feature in just a few scenes, and there are hardly any lines delivered. Yes, the acting and the wigs are awful, but all in all, they are ALMOST not in the film at all.

Impressive imo

They don't feature heavily, no; but where they do feature they look absolutely fucking ridiculous. And the lines that are delivered are beyond forced and wooden - worst lines of unrealistic dialogue I have ever heard.

The fella playing Freddie did the best of a bad job. He did get the overbite mannerism right and some of Freddie's movements; I was also impressed by how much he sounded like him at some moments (considering he is an aussie, I think he nailed the accent pretty well for much of the time - although there were a couple of slip ups that were overlooked).

The trouble with the whole thing was the cheapness of it, the shit dialogue, the other 'actors' apart from the one playing Freddie and the odd factual mistakes. The lowest point for me was definitely when 'Freddie' said 'How big's your cock?' in that salacious and pervy way - made Fred look like a dirty old man instead of a red-blooded man who loved sex and had a sense of humour.

Awful production. And now we know that QPL AND Freddie's family politely asked them to not show it and Channel five basically told them to fuck themselves we can also come to the conclusion that the whole lump of shit was produced without a single ounce of respect. Twats.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:43 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

Impressive imo

They don't feature heavily, no; but where they do feature they look absolutely fucking ridiculous. And the lines that are delivered are beyond forced and wooden - worst lines of unrealistic dialogue I have ever heard.

The fella playing Freddie did the best of a bad job. He did get the overbite mannerism right and some of Freddie's movements; I was also impressed by how much he sounded like him at some moments (considering he is an aussie, I think he nailed the accent pretty well for much of the time - although there were a couple of slip ups that were overlooked).

The trouble with the whole thing was the cheapness of it, the shit dialogue, the other 'actors' apart from the one playing Freddie and the odd factual mistakes. The lowest point for me was definitely when 'Freddie' said 'How big's your cock?' in that salacious and pervy way - made Fred look like a dirty old man instead of a red-blooded man who loved sex and had a sense of humour.

Awful production. And now we know that QPL AND Freddie's family politely asked them to not show it and Channel five basically told them to fuck themselves we can also come to the conclusion that the whole lump of shit was produced without a single ounce of respect. Twats.

I didn't realise Freddie's family asked for it not to be shown...big shame on channel 5 for showing it.
A question...does Channel 5 show such low budget programming such as this? I'm in Canada so I really don't know the answer. Anyways, I wasn't expecting to be able to watch it, it would've been better if I didn't. Lesley Ann Jones...I can't get over her gall. I can forgive bad wigs, bad costumes...but not just parts of it that seemed taken from crappy tabloids.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby soxtalon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:10 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
JLP wrote:Was it advertised on the main site? Or just in this thread?

It wasn't even this site! My bad. It was actually Brian's website now I come to think of it (which still makes no sense). Ignore my original nonsense. :)

That makes more sense. The person who runs Brian's site just puts anything that's in the news regarding Queen, etc. on as news bits. Not really promoting it. Just a catchall of news.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby julymorning » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:50 am

It's on in full on youtube and no one has pulled it yet. That's where I watched it.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby MelodyNelson » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:24 pm

I did notice a couple of comments on social media from people with first-hand experience of HIV/AIDS, and they generally seemed to see it as a very realistic take on the era and the disease.

So it may not have done Freddie much of a service (though he's suffered worse - Freddie's Loves, for example, which was also Channel 5 if I remember correctly), but if it educates people on a hideous disease that is STILL misunderstood, then its existence is a positive thing.

On another note - I remember in Channel 5's infancy they actually screened a "Queen Day" which was full of interesting Queen-related programming I'd never seen before or since, including a Queen-themed episode of the old quiz show 100%. Anyone else remember this?

MelodyNelson
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm

I watched it again! I'm quite fond of it's naff-ness to be honest. It's rather like Flash Gordon, in that it's trash, but infectious.

I literally cried on seeing 'Brian' again, it's fucking hilarious. :lol: :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:50 pm

For me, everything before the testing for HIV was pure throw away filler. After that, it was a worthy watch; even if it was sad to witness some of what he went through.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:52 pm

soxtalon wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:It wasn't even this site! My bad. It was actually Brian's website now I come to think of it (which still makes no sense). Ignore my original nonsense. :)

That makes more sense. The person who runs Brian's site just puts anything that's in the news regarding Queen, etc. on as news bits. Not really promoting it. Just a catchall of news.

Yes, I see what you mean: I know site admin put up all sorts of stuff on there and so I guess it wouldn't be classed as promoting it in that sense - I just thought I had seen it on this site...but had obviously had a fucktard moment.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On