Time to boycott Queen releases?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Time to boycott Queen releases?

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:35 am

Leigh Burne wrote:Boycott Queen releases?

If a new product is something I like the look of, I buy it. If not, I don't.

Isn't that what everyone does...? Apparently not, or else this thread wouldn't exist.

Crazy isn't it? A few have bought the Kerry / Brian, expecting it to be crap and in some cases left the fucking thing in the wrapper. What's that all about? It's never going to be worth anything, sealed or not. If you're not going to play it, what's the point? I don't have enough time to listen to all the stuff I want to as it is, let alone buying shit that's staying in the box.
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 am

Collections, could be the one word answer.

No point having 999 out of a complete set of works, and not getting the missing one while it's still affordable, just out of principle.

I wonder how extensive Brian's new deal with Sony is, seems like not many people have been talking about that.

I seem to remember, that the first inkling any of us had that Queen had gone to EMI-Capitol worldwide, was a Brian solo release, Star Fleet.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 am

BitterTears wrote:Yeah, I don't think the album covers have been amazing from Queen Rocks onwards but I kind of get the feeling it's a horse designed by committee. I wonder, are Brian and Roger involved with the design of the cover (which I assume they once were) or do they just come in and go 'yeah, that one's fine'?

Richard Gray covers, pretty much all the way since AKOM. I think he designs two or three variants, and the band picks the one they like the best.

In the "really" old days, the band were a lot more proactive with sleeve design, Brian coming up with the primary idea for the first album, Freddie for the next four, and then Roger having the original basic ideas for NOTW and Jazz. After that, I don't really know, until Richard came along and developed the AKOM sleeve out of Roger Chiasson's cartoon drawings. Being fair, he did bring a lot to the sleeve designs, the quantel paintbox merged faces for The Miracle, and the resurrection of the Granville drawings for Innuendo.

We talk a lot about QPL, and AFAIK he is pretty much an equal member of the product team.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:45 pm

BitterTears wrote:Yeah, I don't think the album covers have been amazing from Queen Rocks onwards

what!? if you had said since queen rocks i'd agree - but the queen rocks artwork was great. clearly some thought went into it and actually involved some level of design and skill. every queen release since has been bootleg quality at best, and the idea that anyone takes (a no doubt huge) payment for any of it is simply hilarious. the rainbow release was an exception - but that was only because there was some existing vintage design to reproduce.

qpl seems to revel in just giving work to people they know, whether they know what they're doing or not. are they so distrustful of people, that they aren't willing to work with professionals who are up to snuff? the way a 30 year old live recording can end up with production credits for 3 (!!) people who mixed it. these people have done nothing of note outside of queen related release in decades - this is not a coincidence. how did the drummer out of the cross end up working "In house" as a "producer"? even greg brooks has received production credits - bare in mind he is an "archivist" and has not played a part in "producing" anything. this stuff is unheard of outside of queen productions.

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Kes wrote:Collections, could be the one word answer.
No point having 999 out of a complete set of works, and not getting the missing one while it's still affordable, just out of principle.

What if a new studio album was released by Queen + Adam Lambert?
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby action » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 am

Last edited by action on Sun May 07, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
the greatest among you will be your servant

action
Don't Stop Me Now

woe to you, teachers of the law, you hypocrites!

Postby Kes » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I'd have to think about that, but yeah, I'd probably buy it.

Just don't think I'd rush out and get every bloody format.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby hotspace1966 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Don't think i would ever go as far to 'boycott' a release, am i still a collector...no, do i still buy everything in all formats...no, do i rush out on day of release...no, would i purchase a new release by Queen, Queen + or solo...yes i would.
Probably would give every new release a chance so i could at least know if in my own opinion thought it was good or not. Purchased Golden Days and did not listen to it until 5 days after ( years ago that would have been unheard of ) i liked it better than Anthems, although lost interest from Amazing Grace onward, tracks prior to that would probably listen to again if they shuffled onto my i.pod without skipping over.
Have not been a great fan of most of the recent artwork ( a little lazy in my opinion ) and don't agree with Freddie being the only band member being depicted in some cases either.
Loving all the older live show releases including 'On Air' ( thought the artwork for that was great by the way simple , effective and correct font for Queen )
Followed the band since 78 and will continue to do so. As i have got older there are more important things to worry about than what Queen do or do not release or what artwork Roger and Brian agree suits each release. These are things we will never have any control over and just have to roll with it.
Some of the discussions on the site make for interesting reading though ...lol

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Deacon Fro » Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Welshqueenfan wrote:Is it time to boycott new Queen releases? Us fans are just being ripped off with second rate goods which have been released before. The new Queen on air being a prime example. Not to mention the multiple copies of queen live at wembley dvd. When are the fans going to get stuff like "Im guess we're falling out" demos or the outtakes of bohemian rhapsody? Or the parts of hyde park concert and houston that have been filmed? Also, I bet this gets deleted becasue I dared to criticise queen.

Buy what you want and don't buy want you dislike. Simple as that. There are plenty of fans that enjoy the current releases, and that's fine. It's also fine if you don't like them. That's the beauty of being a fan--you can pick and choose what you like, and you've got plenty of options.

Deacon Fro
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Thu May 18, 2017 11:06 am

Queen and lambert is something I boycott. Never have, and never will, spend a penny on it. Hated it from the start. Tried to warm up to it. Hate it still, but now for several more reasons than I initially had.

Good old Freddie Mercury era Queen; if there's something I think is a waste of money, I don't buy it. Those cd singles box sets spring to mind. Lots of great products have been released the last years though, which imo make up for the ones they don't get quite right.

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 am

eiricd wrote:Queen and lambert is something I boycott. Never have, and never will, spend a penny on it. Hated it from the start. Tried to warm up to it. Hate it still, but now for several more reasons than I initially had.

Good old Freddie Mercury era Queen; if there's something I think is a waste of money, I don't buy it. Those cd singles box sets spring to mind. Lots of great products have been released the last years though, which imo make up for the ones they don't get quite right.

When all said and done, I am more pleased I recent years​ more often than not. For example, I never expected Rainbow to be released. That remains one of my most played Queen release in years. I can't help but hope for more Queen​ from the 70s for future releases, if not QOA is more than good. I wish I could've​ purchased the whole set is my only quibble there.
Queen at their prime, it can still give me goosebumps​.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby TheHero » Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 pm

icy wrote:When all said and done, I am more pleased I recent years​ more often than not. For example, I never expected Rainbow to be released. That remains one of my most played Queen release in years. I can't help but hope for more Queen​ from the 70s for future releases, if not QOA is more than good. I wish I could've​ purchased the whole set is my only quibble there.
Queen at their prime, it can still give me goosebumps​.

Well spoken! Spot on. Exactly how I feel too. :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Tue May 23, 2017 1:28 pm

eiricd wrote: Those cd singles box sets spring to mind. Lots of great products have been released the last years though, which imo make up for the ones they don't get quite right.

Why do you think those CD boxes were a bad idea? It did bring a few songs that were only on Vinyl onto CD - 'A Human Body' & 'A Dozen Red Roses' come to mind. Plus it allowed us to get pristine single artwork in our hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see vinyl version of these in the future. BUT they would have to recreate the proper single label rather than a generic one.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue May 23, 2017 3:05 pm

By "proper" single label, from 73-82, do you mean the EMI one, or the Elektra one?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Guru » Fri May 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Kes wrote:By "proper" single label, from 73-82, do you mean the EMI one, or the Elektra one?

For a UK band, the UK packaging is definitive, IMO

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On