Queen as a legacy act

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen as a legacy act

Postby Jimi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 am

JLP wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:
TheHero wrote:The best Queen music is from 1973-1980, most people agree with that.

I certainly wouldn't.

They may undoubtedly have been more consistent in their early days, but their best stuff from their later years is easily the equal of their best stuff from earlier on.

Really? Other than Innuendo, their later stuff is not a patch on the first 5 albums.

I do wonder what goes on in peoples heads that don't get that the 1973-1980 period is the best by some distance.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Oret » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Jimi wrote:
I do wonder what goes on in peoples heads that don't get that the 1973-1980 period is the best by some distance.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Personal preferences?

Oret
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:02 pm

tone deaf?
lack of musical awareness?
Short attention span?

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Jimi wrote:tone deaf?
lack of musical awareness?
Short attention span?

But it is all merely subjective stuff though: one man's Sheer Heart Attack is another man's Hot Space, etc.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Jimi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:45 pm

very true.
But 'better' is not the same as preferable
Queen was better in the 70's
You may prefer the 80's but they weren't 'better'
I have never read a ( balanced) review that has ever said anything other.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I think the same can be said about most bands of the era, take a look at Genesis.... their 1982 album 'Abacab' is miles apart from their 1970 album Trespass. If they continued as they were in the 1970s they wouldn't be around in the 1980s. Bands had to change to to attract new audiences.

Could Queen have really written a song in 1986 about Fairies and Goblins? don't think so..... Whether it's a track off QII or AKOM to me it's still Queen and that's why I love them. I often wonder what musical direction they would have taken in the 1990s if tragedy hadn't struck in 1991.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Jimi wrote:very true.

I know what you are saying, but I still maintain even stating something is better is still a subjective thing; I mean, how does one define what 'better' actually is with regards to a band's output over the years? 'Better' to you and I could be 'not too great' to someone else.

As for the reviews? Balanced or not (normally not with Queen, let's be honest) they are still the mere opinions of so-called music experts: I have never had any faith or trust in any review of anything, unless it truly is an impartial, unbiased review - which is very rare (especially regarding Queen).

Saying all that, I, personally, prefer much of the 70's output too - although there are moments from Innuendo (namely, Innuendo, Slightly Mad and The Show Must Go On) which I feel are as strong and original as anything they did in the earlier days.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm

stagnation wrote:... I often wonder what musical direction they would have taken in the 1990s if tragedy hadn't struck in 1991.

It's a thought I have often had. Part of me likes to think they would still hold the power to surprise us all here and there, but then I also think that they may have become very lazy and formulaic. I believe Freddie's illness definitely brought back the magic they seemed to have lost in the 80's, but take that illness away and I don't even know if they would have found any kind of closeness in the studio again, let alone any kind of original creativity.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:31 pm

stagnation wrote:I think the same can be said about most bands of the era, take a look at Genesis.... their 1982 album 'Abacab' is miles apart from their 1970 album Trespass. If they continued as they were in the 1970s they wouldn't be around in the 1980s. Bands had to change to to attract new audiences.

Could Queen have really written a song in 1986 about Fairies and Goblins? don't think so..... Whether it's a track off QII or AKOM to me it's still Queen and that's why I love them. I often wonder what musical direction they would have taken in the 1990s if tragedy hadn't struck in 1991.

It is staggering to think that it was only 8 years in time (but chasms apart in terms of musicality, songwriting style, approach, and attitude) between Queen II and Hot Space.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:57 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
stagnation wrote:I think the same can be said about most bands of the era, take a look at Genesis.... their 1982 album 'Abacab' is miles apart from their 1970 album Trespass. If they continued as they were in the 1970s they wouldn't be around in the 1980s. Bands had to change to to attract new audiences.

It is staggering to think that it was only 8 years in time (but chasms apart in terms of musicality, songwriting style, approach, and attitude) between Queen II and Hot Space.

Staggering indeed.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 pm

I agree with you to a point although the goblins angle is a presume slightly tongue in cheek. I think the very best of that style ( namely Queen and Genesis would have carried on with great success as they were huge by 1978) . The Genesis analogy is a good one as I think their timeline for change was pretty similar to that of Queen. If you take A Trick of the Tail as their ANATO it was followed by Wind and Wuthering ( almost a slightly less appreciated or revered album such as ADATR) They simplified and stripped things down with Then there were Three which comes across as their Jazz album.
The abacab angle is interesting but clearly is a mixture of Phil Collins solo tracks that were or were not ready.
I think a more ipertinent example would be Duke which precedes Abacab, that shows signs of conforming to a more modern approach to song writing whilst maintaining some of the signature Genesis sounds and layers. ( e.g. behind the lines) I believe Queen captured this on AKOM to some extent.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:10 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Jimi wrote:very true.

I know what you are saying, but I still maintain even stating something is better is still a subjective thing; I mean, how does one define what 'better' actually is with regards to a band's output over the years? 'Better' to you and I could be 'not too great' to someone else.

As for the reviews? Balanced or not (normally not with Queen, let's be honest) they are still the mere opinions of so-called music experts: I have never had any faith or trust in any review of anything, unless it truly is an impartial, unbiased review - which is very rare (especially regarding Queen).

Saying all that, I, personally, prefer much of the 70's output too - although there are moments from Innuendo (namely, Innuendo, Slightly Mad and The Show Must Go On) which I feel are as strong and original as anything they did in the earlier days.

And of course you are entirely correct. There is no absolute right answer.
I think the most telling thing however is that Innuendo always comes across as an album that MOST Queen fans are very very happy with and that suggests that there is a signature sound to it that represents the gut feeling of what a Queen album is. I think they got pretty close to it with Innuendo and it does give more than a nod and a wink to the heyday of the mid 70's. If that is any sort of conclusion I'm happy with it

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 am

I just found out about this book and want to order it from Amazon:

http://brianmay.com/queen/queennews/que ... 7b.html#20
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

Hmmm, scroll down that page a bit, and watch the "Atomic Blonde" trailer. Interesting snippets of Killer Queen in the soundtrack to that, someone's been playing with the multi-tracks a bit there. :-)

Hope they put out a decent representation of that on whatever soundtrack album accompanies the movie. I'd buy it, as long as they don't do their usual trick and stick the standard "master" version on instead.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am

JLP wrote:Really? Other than Innuendo, their later stuff is not a patch on the first 5 albums.

Yeah. I definitely think they did good individual songs later in their career rather than good complete albums, but I don't see the best tracks as being any weaker than those from early in their career.

Jimi wrote:You may prefer the 80's but they weren't 'better'

I never said they were. I just said I think their peaks in the 80s were as good as their peaks in the 70s, even if there were fewer of them.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On