Queen as a legacy act

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen as a legacy act

Postby AngelR » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 pm

cmsdrums wrote:The great thing (and also a curse) for Queen is that as well as having their own hardcore fanbase and a big following amongst rock music generally, they also have a wider popularity with the general public that most 'big rock acts' don't have.

It's true! They are admired all over the world by the fans of all ages, races, genders - incredible!

Anyway this Friday 7th October "Mastermind" BBC2 8pm:
Subjects include rock band QUEEN... :D
I'll be watching :geek:

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby QueenVault » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:57 am

Does anyone else find it funny that Queen advertised the huge Soundgarden box set on their website? A box set by another band that has tons of bonus material?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated January 3, 2019

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:54 am

Why did Brian record with Soundgarden at that point in time?! They were completely unheard of. Bizarre.

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:30 am

Many of you claim that Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Ac/Dc, The Who etc have more cred than Queen. Wrong! The truth is that every band on earth would sell their soul to get the position Queen has. No matter what artists say their main aim is to sell. Do you really think Led Zeppelin sat down in band meetings and dropped songs because they were afraid it would sell too much? Don't be ridiculous! Queen is one of the bands who has maintained a lot of respect despite having a ton of hits. They had the genuis to create songs with wide appeal. Queen songs is a part of peoples everyday life.

And why are you people on here so worried that the general public don't know Queen's heavier period? Queen had singles with a lot of musical finesse. It wasnt the heavier stuff, but so what? Noone in their right mind would deny the musical quality in for example Somebody To Love, Bohemian Rhapsody and Under Pressure. Queen has so many colours, and that is why people usually speak about Queen with the deepest respect. Ac/Dc is like a primitive animal who has only one way to kill an animal to get food. It brings food on the table, but omg how boring it is over time.

If you ask random people between 20-30 years old they would struggle to even name a song by The Who. Maybe it is different in England, but in the rest of Europe the regular guy would struggle. Maybe on a good day they could come up with Pinball Wizard and It's my Generation. But I do in fact doubt it. If you ask about Queen they would come up with a long list of songs. You can mean what you want about that, but Queen really succeeded when it came to creating songs with a long life span. And that is something who will always draw new people into their catalogue. How can that be bad?

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby rockfizzy-o » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:53 am

The version of New Damage with Brian May was released in 1994 on a compilation album released by Hollywood Records. He was probably not involved in the original version for Badmotorfinger in 1991.

rockfizzy-o
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Anyway you look at it, Queen covered a lot of bases.

They'd be in a lot of people's top five recording artists of all time.

They'd be in a lot of people's top five live bands of all time.

They'd have an album in a lot of people's top five albums of all time.

And they'd probably have a single in a lot of people's top five singles of all time.

And all this in a time before auto tune, pro-tools, and studio trickery that could turn one vocal track into multiple harmonies at the flick of a switch.

Factually, they hold the record for the most global sales of a single on the Warner-Elektra-Asylum group of labels. A group that contains Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, AC/DC, and Fleetwood Mac, to name but a few. That same single was a number one in the US Pop, Rock, Dance, and MOBO (or whatever it was called then) charts, simultaneously.

They hold the record for the most weeks at Number one in the UK charts, for the same song in the same version, being a UK number one in four different calendar years.

Beat THAT!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby DLCVJazz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Sometimes I see the Greatest Hits affect the last queen new releases, many times, example Night At Odeon and the last Freddie compilation, in the first week, this new release charts good than GH, but in the second week, GH dominates easy, and the new release disappear easy in charts.

The last real impacts of Queen in UK album charts was with Absolute Greatest (I think that this album could be sell now, a shame that exhausted in stores) and Forever (perhaps with 1 NEW TRACK and 2 alternative versions of some tracks that non fans never heard, this release did a impact at christmas 2014, but after, slow down of the charts).

If Absolute Greatest still be sold by Universal today, i think that GH numbers wouldn't be that higher than today.

Hernán wrote:Since 2002:

Queen sales in the UK

Albums – 6.2 million (counting Platinum Collection as one sale)
Music videos – 1.25 million
Digital downloads – 4 million (this equals 400,000 albums sales)
Streaming equivalent albums sales – probably close to 400,000

The Beatles in the UK

Albums – 5.5 million
Music videos – 300,000
Digital downloads – 2,5 million (this equals 200,000 albums sales)
Streaming equivalent sales - ? probably not much more than 300,000

Interesting numbers, some things I have to say:

- In both bands, of course the complation was the best seller (Greatest Hits and 1), but Beatles have little advantage for them most important albums (Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road) appears most in UK album charts. I would love to see Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, Day Of The Races, The Game and other albums back to the charts, but the strong numbers of GH damage the Queen studio albums.

- I think it's not that fair compare the music videos, Beatles release them first video compilation last year (1+), and Queen release them first in 1981, and have many releases of video compilations, and incomplete (Innuendo videos).

- For Spotify, in 26 September Facebook post, Beatles go it in that day 1 billion streams, for a band that is not even 1 year in the platform, this numbers are interesting.

I love Queen and Beatles, are really my 2 favorite bands of my life, but I see a little advantage of Beatles, Queen arrive fast and have good numbers, but if the band would have a good sales for the studio albums, it would be better.

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 pm

AG WAS re-released by UMG a couple of years back, on CD and double white vinyl.

Something to do with some partnership with Tchibo coffee in Germany. :lookround:
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby DLCVJazz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:35 am

Kes wrote:AG WAS re-released by UMG a couple of years back, on CD and double white vinyl.

Something to do with some partnership with Tchibo coffee in Germany. :lookround:

True, but why not worldwide? :-|

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:02 am

In my opinion Queen have similar and maybe bigger legacy than many other bands. The Greatest hits albums affect the sales of other album, as a result the public is not aware of their greatest studio works. Moreover for many years the critics were very narrow minded on Queen album, so Queen were regarded as singles radio and tv friendly bands, to be fair some albums were done this way.

For me Queen music is like a great book, which is really worth to read as it opens new horizons. On every album there are songs with clever, pioneer genius chord progressions, harmony orcherstrations and ofcourse feeling and soul.

I do listen Queen for my own happiness not to prove to my friends that Queen is great etc

But since we discuss their legacy, lets not forget that many great artists have been influenced by Queen.
Scorpions, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Blind Gaurdian, Guns n Roses, Nazareth, Muse, SmashingPumpkins, Judas priest etc

i. e.
Parts of brighton rock solo on four horsemen Metallica first album and also on Black album,
Iron maiden's sanctuary has Keep yourself alive riff is more evident on real dead one album. Also guitar harmonies on their Matter of life and death album.
Judas priest sad wings of destiny album is full of Queen influenced.
SmashingPumpkins Adore album has guitar orchestrations similar to All dead All dead.

Many guitar players praise Brian solos, guitar harmonies, they love the unique sound and feeling of Brian.
They like that, Brian knows what the songs need and few times has overplayed. Even his simpliest things like WATC, he shows his genius.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:34 pm

DLCVJazz wrote:
Kes wrote:AG WAS re-released by UMG a couple of years back, on CD and double white vinyl.

Five letter word; Starts with an M, ends with a Y, and Pink Floyd did a song about it;
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby DLCVJazz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Kes wrote:
DLCVJazz wrote:

Five letter word; Starts with an M, ends with a Y, and Pink Floyd did a song about it;

Michael Jackson did a song about this :lol:

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby AlexKx » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:16 pm

"Do good goody good bulls-it."?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:02 pm

That's the kiddie.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:14 pm

AngelR wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:The great thing (and also a curse) for Queen is that as well as having their own hardcore fanbase and a big following amongst rock music generally, they also have a wider popularity with the general public that most 'big rock acts' don't have.

It's true! They are admired all over the world by the fans of all ages, races, genders - incredible!

Anyway this Friday 7th October "Mastermind" BBC2 8pm:
Subjects include rock band QUEEN... :D
I'll be watching :geek:

Watched it, not a level of knowledge I would have expected
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On