Queen as a legacy act

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen as a legacy act

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 pm

JLP wrote:
AngelR wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:The great thing (and also a curse) for Queen is that as well as having their own hardcore fanbase and a big following amongst rock music generally, they also have a wider popularity with the general public that most 'big rock acts' don't have.

It's true! They are admired all over the world by the fans of all ages, races, genders - incredible!

Anyway this Friday 7th October "Mastermind" BBC2 8pm:
Subjects include rock band QUEEN... :D
I'll be watching :geek:

Watched it, not a level of knowledge I would have expected

I watched it too, the guy was terrible.........mind you I did get 12 out of 12 :D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 am

Sir Didymus wrote:Look in your local record stores at the records that are heavily promoted from 'legacy artists'. Look on music websites and newspaper polls of great rock bands, classic rock songs, greatest riffs etc etc. Hell, look at the merchandise on sale everywhere from alternative stores to Primark and back again.

AC/DC - Check. Bowie - Check. Rolling Stones, Prince, Nirvana, Beatles, Led Zeppelin - check.

I'm just going to pick up on this part, because it caught my attention.

You're absolutely right - Primark and the likes have lots of merchandise for all of those acts, but no Queen. It may well be a licensing thing, in which case I'm sure QPL have dropped the ball because there's some money to be made. But what Queen t-shirts could Primark sell?

With Rolling Stones it's obvious. With Bowie it's fairly obvious, although I don't really like my Aladdin Sane t-shirt from Primark which I noel bought because it exists, and basically just use it as pyjamas. AC/DC seem to have a very popular logo, so much so that I saw my sister wearing it and asked if she liked AC/DC, and she revealed she didn't even know they're a band.

But what would Queen tat be? Everyone loves Freddie but people don't really want to be walking around wish a gay icon, complete with moustache, on their chest. That's just the way it is, and I don't think I'd even be particularly critical of people who feel that way. The Queen II cover? Hmm, maybe, but I don't think people like faces in general on t-shirts. The only obvious one I think is the 'Flash' t-shirt! And I think I HAVE seen that one in shops.

Elessar

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Returning to the original question, I would like to add some recent news in Queen world that I feel illustrates all that is wrong with this band in recent times.

Greg Brooks basically confirmed that the anthology set is not even a thought anymore (Brian and Roger do not like to even discuss it)...

...but they are hoping to release a Queen-themed Monopoly game. Yep, that's right. Queen Monopoly.

This band is turning into the English Kiss.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Elessar wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:Look in your local record stores at the records that are heavily promoted from 'legacy artists'. Look on music websites and newspaper polls of great rock bands, classic rock songs, greatest riffs etc etc. Hell, look at the merchandise on sale everywhere from alternative stores to Primark and back again.

AC/DC - Check. Bowie - Check. Rolling Stones, Prince, Nirvana, Beatles, Led Zeppelin - check.

I'm just going to pick up on this part, because it caught my attention.

You're absolutely right - Primark and the likes have lots of merchandise for all of those acts, but no Queen. It may well be a licensing thing, in which case I'm sure QPL have dropped the ball because there's some money to be made. But what Queen t-shirts could Primark sell?

With Rolling Stones it's obvious. With Bowie it's fairly obvious, although I don't really like my Aladdin Sane t-shirt from Primark which I noel bought because it exists, and basically just use it as pyjamas. AC/DC seem to have a very popular logo, so much so that I saw my sister wearing it and asked if she liked AC/DC, and she revealed she didn't even know they're a band.

But what would Queen tat be? Everyone loves Freddie but people don't really want to be walking around wish a gay icon, complete with moustache, on their chest. That's just the way it is, and I don't think I'd even be particularly critical of people who feel that way. The Queen II cover? Hmm, maybe, but I don't think people like faces in general on t-shirts. The only obvious one I think is the 'Flash' t-shirt! And I think I HAVE seen that one in shops.

In fairness, Primark did dabble in Queen shirts for about a month, and only in the ladies fashion section. They soon vanished, but my other half snagged a Freddie t-shirt while she could.

But perhaps this is one of the reasons they're not currently being marketed to anyone but 'the dads' in the UK - there's no strong visual hook, and they don't have good designers on board to find one.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Just revitalising this one a little.

I went to see Molotov Jukebox at Ruby Lounge the other night, and the venue has a massive banner for local rock radio station Real XS on the wall.

The station is targeted at younger listeners (18-35) iirc. And the banner had the station's logo and slogan, surrounded by tons and tons of big name rock bands and singers, to illustrate all the 'cool' stuff they play.

Bowie was there. Pink Floyd. Sabbath. Zeppelin. So were newer acts like Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Green Day and Muse. And so were some lesser known names, like Bad Company, John Mellencamp and Inspiral Carpets.

But Queen were conspicuously absent... which again ties in to my belief that they're huge with older audiences, but here in the UK at least, younger generations don't really seem to be 'getting' it.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby action » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Last edited by action on Sat May 27, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:20 pm

action wrote:Elessar is into something.

Are Queen cool?

i consider myself a massive Queen fan, but i wouldn't want to be caught with a Queen t shirt. people may mistaken me for being gay.

Freddie decided to call his band "Queen" which is synonymous to "homo", so coolness is out of the window right out of the bat.

The US dropped Queen with the IWTBF video. their loss, but it is what it is.

Freddie has a brilliant voice, they have great songs. but there is nothing "cool" about them.

brian looks like a cross between an poodle and the witch from the wizard of Oz, and john and roger aren't exactly "cool" either.

freddie is cool when he is on stage, he is better than any of them. it's marketable on a DVD cover, but not on a T shirt.

that said, i'm not sure if bowie is considered "cool" though. i sure don't like bowie, never did. it's a thing of musical snobs who also listen to muse, coldplay and radiohead. i'm more interested in good blues oriented hard rock. AC/DC, aerosmith, guns n roses,... now those bands will make you cool and get you the chicks. Queen will only get you mistaken for a nancy boy (not that theres anything wrong with that, if that floats your boat ;-)

Sorry, but you are wrong! Last year when I was winding through the security line at an airport, a cool looking guy bellowed out to me, "hey, that's the coolest shirt in this airport!" It was the black shirt with big red QUEEN letters I had bought at the QAL opening night in Chicago! He stunned me but it was fun that he called attention to it for everyone else around us! So Queen IS cool-- even QAL!!!!!
Last edited by CNB on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:25 pm

CNB wrote:Sorry, but you are wrong! Last year when I was winding through the security line at an airport, a cool looking guy bellowed out to me, "hey, that's the coolest shirt in this airport!" It was the black shirt with big red QUEEN letters I had bought at the QAL opening night in Chicago! He stunned me but it was fun that he called attention to it by everyone else around us! So Queen IS cool-- even QAL!!!!!

what is cool about QAL? (serious question)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:32 pm

action wrote:
CNB wrote:Sorry, but you are wrong! Last year when I was winding through the security line at an airport, a cool looking guy bellowed out to me, "hey, that's the coolest shirt in this airport!" It was the black shirt with big red QUEEN letters I had bought at the QAL opening night in Chicago! He stunned me but it was fun that he called attention to it for everyone else around us! So Queen IS cool-- even QAL!!!!!

Everything!!!!!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 pm

In the echo chamber I'm in (we're all in one, regardless), "Queen" performing with Adam Lambert is definitely NOT considered remotely cool.
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby action » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:56 pm

CNB wrote:
action wrote:
CNB wrote:Sorry, but you are wrong! Last year when I was winding through the security line at an airport, a cool looking guy bellowed out to me, "hey, that's the coolest shirt in this airport!" It was the black shirt with big red QUEEN letters I had bought at the QAL opening night in Chicago! He stunned me but it was fun that he called attention to it for everyone else around us! So Queen IS cool-- even QAL!!!!!

Everything!!!!!

ok then

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AngelR » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Is anyone watching Queen special evening on Sky arts? Hungarian Rhapsody is on at the moment. :)

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:In the echo chamber I'm in (we're all in one, regardless), "Queen" performing with Adam Lambert is definitely NOT considered remotely cool.

Yea, many ways to describe it, but cool isn't one.

I wouldn't even think some things Queen did were cool. I love that they were so different than anything else at the time, not cool, but oh so groundbreaking :D .
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby fairydandy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:26 pm

AngelR wrote:Is anyone watching Queen special evening on Sky arts? Hungarian Rhapsody is on at the moment. :)

I had it on, but I was in the other room. It didn't sound too good to me, to be honest.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:14 am

IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On