Roger Taylor hints at recording new Queen music with Brian M

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Roger Taylor hints at recording new Queen music with Brian M

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:02 pm

"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Roger Taylor hints at recording new Queen music with Bri

Postby AlexKx » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Oh, thank GOD!!!! :D

What's on Roger's hand?! Is that a tattoo or bruise?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Of course Queen music should include Brian, that comes as no surprise to me at all. Maybe it's just me, but is it clear who would write the songs, do vocals from the print interview?
Maybe this is the something new part that was put out there a couple months ago.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby fairydandy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:32 pm

No wonder Brian has depression. :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby AlexKx » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Oh, but he's feeling better baby! He says he's gonna make a comeback in the New Year too! Ow! :onfire:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Spook2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 am

cant blame him though for the comments on the street cleaners

what a waste of money they are

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:37 am

Whatever they wind up doing (if anything), I hope it doesn't put a halt to Brian's solo box set, because that's something I'd dearly like to see.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

^ I don't think it will....it's still going to be awhile away. On QZ iirc greg made mention that that was something that was more something in like backburner kind of progress....like when they aren't doing other things....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Oh,Christ, no...

...not this shit again.

Someone have a word.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby soxtalon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Having listened to the interview - there's nothing new here...interviewer asked if he wanted to do a big archival project like Jimmy Page and Roger implied that Page was a much better curator and he would rather do something new.

It's the same answer he's given for 3-4 years now. He'd like to do something new.

Brian it seems doesn't. Didn't sound like anything has changed from the status quo here....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Oh,Christ, no...

...not this shit again.

Someone have a word.

Word :yu:
:lol: :P
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:36 pm

icy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Oh,Christ, no...

...not this shit again.

Someone have a word.

Word :yu:
:lol: :P

:P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 pm

soxtalon wrote:^ I don't think it will....it's still going to be awhile away. On QZ iirc greg made mention that that was something that was more something in like backburner kind of progress....like when they aren't doing other things....

That sucks. Given that at least some of his catalogue has been recently remastered I was hoping a re-release would be on the way sooner rather than later.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Agreed but better to know than be waiting!

EDIT - I went back to find the exact quote and I must admit I was misremembering a bit. I don't personally feel the real quote offers THAT much more hope but perhaps more than I indicated
It was from this years talk at the Dutch Queen Day that Greg Brooks did. A QZer came back and reported on what was said and Greg came in to clarify a few things:

YV is the QZer who made a reporting of what Greg said. Greg took her initial posting and went bit by bit to clarify on projects in the works as it were:

Dear Queenzoners

Following my recent appearance at the Dutch Queen Day, where I explained a few things the Queen team worked on over the past year or so, and where I took some questions, I would like to make a few things clear. I took great care in what I said, and equal care in what I didn’t say, but inevitably certain details have been slightly misreported and it’s important to get these things right. Otherwise we might be in the situation at some point whereby, again, it’ll be “Greg said blah blah, but he was obviously lying because now we know that blah blah blah.” So, for clarity and in order to avoid any such accusations that I invariably attract, and because I’m a nice chap really, I’ll respond to a few points that YourValentine wrote, as she seems to have mentioned most or all of the things I got into. This is as good a thread to reply to as any…

YV: …it's not Greg Brook's fault what they release and what they don't release.

GB: This is true.

YV: A Queen 3D photography book is planned based on the photos taken by Brian on stage and off stage.

GB: Yes. This book is scheduled for next year and is shaping up extremely well. It has grown enormously from the originally proposed concept and not all photos were taken by Brian (sometimes Brian gave his camera to others, to take snaps, and also fans sometimes took 3-D shots – such as during the ’84 Works tour in Europe). Denis (Pellerin) and I sat with Brian over several days and many hours in which he recalled copious great Queen stories and anecdotes, a lot of which I’d never heard before and were fascinating. We found Brian in wonderful form and reflective mood, with the images prompting all kinds of anecdotes. He went off on all kinds of unexpected tangents - all very interesting. There is some staggeringly good stuff that will surprise you, but nothing will amaze you more than some of the 3-D images of the band at work and play. I described to the fans in Holland how startling it was for me, having spent 35 years looking at flat (2-D) images of Freddie, John, Brian and Roger, to suddenly see them in dramatically ‘real’ three dimensions… with, for example, Freddie’s nose closer to you (as the viewer) than his cheeks, and then his neck further away still, and with his hair, hands, fingers, mouth and eyes coming to life, right at you, with astonishing clarity. It’s hard to explain. I predict you too will be startled by many of the 3-D images. You ’think’ you know these four faces well, extremely well, because your brain has seen a thousand images of each of them… and yet suddenly here are those same four faces looking more real than your brain is accustomed to seeing - familiar but at once strangely UNfamiliar. It’s really hard to relay now, but you’ll get what I mean as soon as you see John Deacon in 3-D casually perusing a toy shop in Zagreb in 1979. Trust me, these images are fantastic!

YV: the long awaited Brian Queen memorabilia book is in the 10th year of the making and by now it will probably be 2 books, so it will take another 1-5 years to make.

GB: Not quite correct. It is the Queen Live book that would, or could, be released in two volumes, NOT the Queen memorabilia book. The ‘I Want It All! book has been assembled by me, not Brian (though he is closely involved), but it is largely based around Brian’s personal collection of Queen memorabilia. The book has indeed been on and off for a decade now, but it will definitely happen, I hope in 2017 or 18 latest. It’s so very close now. Each year it got put back, was of course a pain, because it's an amazing looking project and I want it to be out there asap, but the delay always had the benefit that we could show/feature the memorabilia for each new project; all the boxed sets, promos, flyers, posters etc for the 2014 Rainbow products, the 2015 Hammersmith box, Queen On Air, etc, all the Universal CDs, promo boxes and Japanese discs. It’s great that all these things will feature too – which would not have happened, obviously, if we’d put the book out in 2010.

The Queen Live book (a VASTLY dramatically updated version of my original book of 1995) will I’m sure happen at some point because all the work is more or less done now. It’s grown from a 35,000 word book to something closer to 200,000, and thus it’ll probably make sense to issue it in two volumes; Queen Live In The 1970s and Queen Live In The 1980s. I’m in conversation right now about how best to offer the book, and when, and if it could be an interactive product too – in which you can read text about any given Queen concert (with Freddie), but also watch the footage, or rehearsal, hear the audio of the show (or the sound check, if it exists), listen to the related interviews, look at the relevant merch, read the press reviews, as well as accounts from fans who were there (and see the photos they took) etc. I’d like there to be stand-alone physical books, but an interactive sister-product too. Time will tell. Sooner than later.

YV: A Queen monopoly game is in said pipeline (meaning we don't know when it will come out) based on Queen tours. So you can buy a Wembley Stadium etc. We will get this because Brian is such a big monopoly fan.

GB: Yes, Brian mentioned this first, quite some time ago. He is indeed a fan of Monopoly, as is Roger, and both have contributed ideas for this. This too is coming along very nicely. It looks fab, plays well, and is great fun. Lots of attention to detail, as you might expect. Not sure when it will happen yet. Look out for rather nice little metal Queenified icons (the pieces you move around the board).

YV: -By the end of the year they want to release a Queen radio edition based on the BBC recordings. There will be a 2CD and 6 CD edition. The 6 CDs contain the BBC sessions interviews and live material that somehow is connected to the radio theme. No video material is in this package.

GB: True. The BBC Sessions / Queen On Air press release goes out soon, with full details. This is an extremely long overdue product. All six BBC sessions together for the first time, and some other surprises too along the way.

YV: - In November we can look forward to the Greatest Hits vinyl release… …The funny thing was that GB did not want to "confirm this" but reluctantly did when he was told that the item is already on amazon.

GB: True. I didn’t know if the details were public knowledge yet. Someone in the audience told me it was, and proved it, and thus I was happy to confirm.

YV: No more 70s concert DVDs will be released although they are "looking" at the material (Houston, EC, HP etc) and maybe some day there will be a compilation - or not.

GB: True-ish. But this old news. We’ve been looking at what we have for a long time, to see what could be featured on products, or not. We’ve looked at everything, and yes that would naturally include Earls Court, Houston, Hyde Park, etc. That is NOT to say that these are our next product. They are not. I did not say that, though some audience members took that inference. Whether any of those shows will ever be released, is not known to me, not my decision, and thus my guess is as good as yours. Still !!! All I can do is be part of the studio-based Queen Team (Justin, Kris, Richard, GB) that investigates these things for the band. I cannot say more because I don’t know more. Our next live DVD could be anything; we've not got into yet. Too many other things happening at the moment.

YV: we can also forget about the anthology or any outtakes/demos…

GB: True. This has not been mentioned for many years and thus it’s not likely to happen any time soon.

YV: - also in the famous pipelines: the Brian May solo box.

GB: Brian has been interested in a BM solo product for ages. This too is not new news. He said as far back as the Freddie ‘Solo’ box of 2000 that he’d like to consider a BM collectors set

If you want to read more including some responses from QZers and again from Greg it's HERE

SO all that for the one little blip at the end...but again to me that doesn't sound imminent...Brian's been talking about it since 2000. So take it for what it's worth...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Wild/Wind » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:05 pm

It reminds me this way back in 1999 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/313504.stm

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On