Roger Taylor hints at recording new Queen music with Brian M

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Roger Taylor hints at recording new Queen music with Bri

Postby icy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
Tarkus wrote:What next- Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr to record an album with Olly Murs on vocals and calling themselves the Beatles? :roll:

If they called themselves 'The Beatles + Olly Murs' then that would be a better comparison. Roger & Brian have (from memory) only released 'The Invincible Hope' as a pair under the sole name of 'Queen'. They released 'No One But You' as Queen and that was after Freddie died but that didn't seem to cause such a fuss.

NOBY was not even close to anything Queen + did, and besides didn't Queen + come after NOBY?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby AlexKx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Wha-eva, yo! I'm just excited and thrilled at whatever possibilities! I'm so psyched!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:16 pm

icy wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:
Tarkus wrote:What next- Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr to record an album with Olly Murs on vocals and calling themselves the Beatles? :roll:

If they called themselves 'The Beatles + Olly Murs' then that would be a better comparison. Roger & Brian have (from memory) only released 'The Invincible Hope' as a pair under the sole name of 'Queen'. They released 'No One But You' as Queen and that was after Freddie died but that didn't seem to cause such a fuss.

NOBY was not even close to anything Queen + did, and besides didn't Queen + come after NOBY?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if Queen had continued as a three piece after No One But You, and put out an album in 1998, using songs that wound up on Another World and Electric Fire, I don't think anyone would have minded much. It might have even been a hit, given Brian and Roger had both had chart success in the early 90s in their own right.

Imagine it...

01. The Business
02. A Nation of Haircuts
03. China Belle
04. Surrender
05. Wilderness
06. No More Fun
07. Why Don't We Try Again
08. Pressure On
09. Another World
10. Tonight
11. No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)
12. Being On My Own

Tighter than a gnats arse, that one!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby icy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if Queen had continued as a three piece after No One But You, and put out an album in 1998, using songs that wound up on Another World and Electric Fire, I don't think anyone would have minded much. It might have even been a hit, given Brian and Roger had both had chart success in the early 90s in their own right.

Imagine it...

01. The Business
02. A Nation of Haircuts
03. China Belle
04. Surrender
05. Wilderness
06. No More Fun
08. Pressure On
09. Another World
10. Tonight
12. Being On My Own

Indeed, I would not fault it if that happened. Funny thing, I wish it did happen that way instead of all the + stuff.
I love your thoughts and lists. :thumbsup: I would have liked that even more, cause some gems in your list I didn't think about before.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

Sir Didymus wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if Queen had continued as a three piece after No One But You, and put out an album in 1998, using songs that wound up on Another World and Electric Fire, I don't think anyone would have minded much. It might have even been a hit, given Brian and Roger had both had chart success in the early 90s in their own right.

Imagine it...

01. The Business
02. A Nation of Haircuts
03. China Belle
04. Surrender
05. Wilderness
06. No More Fun
08. Pressure On
09. Another World
10. Tonight
12. Being On My Own

That's an interesting idea. I kind of did something like that myself! I called this "The Lost Albums" and expanded it out and just included a lot of songs I like so I don't think this is what *WOULD* have happened but more of what I'd love to have had happened....Of course I started a lot further back than just post MIH.

I started off with The Works - always an idea of what might have been with the amount of solo material and other material known to be worked on and that led to of having to of course jury rig other albums that had stuff cherry picked from it:
Spoiler! :
1984 - The Works
1. Machines (or Back To Humans)
2. Love Kills (Rock Version)
3. Man On Fire
4. Man Made Paradise
5. Let Me In Your Heart Again
6. I Want To Break Free (Single Mix)
7. I Go Crazy
8. Hammer To Fall (Headbanger's Mix)
9. I Cry For You (Love, Hope & Confusion)
10. It's A Hard Life (12" Mix)
11. Radio Ga Ga (12" Mix)
12. Is This The World We Created...?
13. Love Kills (The Ballad)
14. Let Me Live (Banned Version)

Excising some tracks for now which of course lets me use some during the later sessions....Obviously Machines, Is This The World We Created...? and I Go Crazy are straight from The Works (and yes a b-side). Break Free, Hammer To Fall, Hard Life, and Ga Ga use mixes I prefer. We know Love Kills was worked on here and I like the idea of both a rock version and the much later released ballad version - a bit of a cheat but still nice to hear - Man On Fire, Man Made Paradise, Let Me In Your Heart Again, and Let Me Live were all definitively worked on during that time. I Cry For You was one of my favorite tracks from Strange Frontier and I thought it'd be nice that it was included and I liked adding back the idea of having one or two non Freddie sung tracks like the 70s were..

1986 - The Highlander Soundtrack
1. Prologue (From the film)
2. Princes Of The Universe
3. Highlander Theme (Kamen)
4. One Year Of Love
5. Heather Dies/Who Wants To Live Forever (Kamen)
6. Who Wants To Live Forever (Film Version - full Freddie)
7. Hammer To Fall (Works Version)
8. Don't Lose Your Head
9. Theme From New York, New York
10. Gimme The Prize (Kurgan's Theme)
11. Battle Scene (Film Version)
12. Under The Garden/The Prize (Kamen)
13. The Prize Revealed/Epilogue (Kamen)
14. Forever
15. A Kind Of Magic (Highlander Version)

A mix of the Queen tracks, especially the film versions that aren't just straight edits and the Kamen score.

1987 - One Vision

1. One Vision
2. The Great Pretender
3. Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Single Mix)
4. She Blows Hot And Cold (Alternative Mix)
5. I Can't Dance/Keep Smiilin'
6. Keep Passing The Open Windows
7. Killing Time
8. Heaven For Everyone (Freddie-Roger Hybrid)
9. Man On The Prowl
10. New York At Last
11. Friends Will Be Friends
12. In My Defence (Ron Nevison Mix)
13. Who Wants To Live Forever (Non-Film Version)
14. A Kind Of Magic (AKOM Version)

A bit tougher to pull together a full album but I gave it a whirl. so basically it was all the AKOM stuff that wasn't on the Highlander soundtrack to use (One Vision, Pain Is So Close with the better mix Friends Will Be Friends), and pulling the non-film versions of WWTLF and AKOM off. To go beyond that since it's 1987 Great Pretender made sense - I know someone on QZ added a Brian like guitar at one point and it sounded awesome...,and I also added a few Freddie demos, etc that were not on Mr. Bad Guy (She Blows with Brian already, I Cant' Dance/Smiling). I figured I could add NY at Last as an interesting curiousity. And I figured a NON-Time Versions of In My Defence would be cool. I could have added Time I guess but thought Defence was a better fit. Then I pulled the Works tracks forward that wasn't on the album (Prowl and Open Windows). Finally two Roger tracks which had Freddie on it already so part of the way there but if I could use the Queen version with Roger also adding vocals.

Now here was generally a period that was more or less still complete - Miracle/Innuendo before looking beyond to see how post Freddie's death was handled...BUT since I was fooling around with track listings, etc. I decided to see what I could do about changing things up a bit...well more for the Miracle but:

1989 - The Miracle

1. Breakthru
2. I Want It All
3. The Miracle
4. In Charge Of My Heart (Single Version)
5. Khashoggi's Ship (Standalone Version)
6. The Invisible Man
7. My Life Has Been Saved (B-Side Version)
8. Too Much Love Will Kill You
9. Scandal
10. My Baby Does Me
11. Hijack My Heart (Demo/B-Side Hybrid Mix)
12. Hang On In There
13. Was It All Worth It

So I excised Party, Rain Must Fall (and Chinese Torture) freeing them up as unused. I changed the track listing around using Breakthru as a much better opening. I really enjoyed In Charge Of My Heart - so much that I considered using the extended version as the opening track - but I don't see a Roger vocal track opening the album unfortunately seeing as I really enjoy the extended version. The Single version makes much more sense in the middle of the album. I added My Life Has Been Saved and Hijack My Heart (I love the piano on the demo so thus the hybrid I made - not well mind you :P) I also added Too Much Love as it obviously was worked on then.

Now Innuendo I barely changed anything - I like the album too much as is...just a few different mixes.

1991 Innuendo

1. Innuendo
2. I'm Going Slightly Mad (Mad Mix)
3. Headlong
4. I Can't Live With You (Rocks Re-Take)
5. Don't Try So Hard
6. Ride The Wild Wind (Freddie-Roger hybrid)
7. All God's People
8. These Are The Days Of Our Lives
9. Delilah
10. The Hitman
11. Bijou
12. The Show Must Go On.

NOW Freddie passes and since I used up Let Me Live, Heaven For Everyone, and Too Much Love already, and didn't want to use IWBTLY and MIH (which may seem ironic but in this experiment Mr. Bad Guy was released as is and I wasn't Queenifying released solo songs. Techincally due to this I should go back and finish the experiment by rejigging Strange Frontier and The Cross albums - maybe someday I will). In this alternate history/experimentI decided that Brian and Roger never went solo and just bonded and stayed together with John...So with no Made In Heaven I had to have a new title.

1994 - A Winter's Tale or A Beautiful Day

1. It's A Beautiful Day
2. New Dark Ages
3. You Don't Fool Me
4. Driven By You
5. Freedom Train
6. Feelings Feelings (Take 10)
7. Dog With A Bone
8. Rain Must Fall
9. Last Horizon
10. Final Destination (Yoshiki Version)
11. A Winter's Tale
12. Mother Love
13. It's A Beautiful Day (Reprise)
14. Yeah
15. Untitled (Track 13...er 15)

So basically - the "new" tracks from MIH (IABD and the reprise, You Don't Fool Me, A Winter's Tale, Mother Love, and the bonus track). New Dark Ages was rumored to have been worked on during the Innuendo sessions so it worked. Freedom Train was also reportedly demoed by Queen so it fit. Driven By You was something Freddie heard and liked - so it worked enough. After that - Feelings Feelings and Dog With A Bone worked as rock tracks to make sure things didn't get too low and had Freddie on it so those were nice. To flesh it out Rain Must Fall was a track I didn't hate so it worked to flesh out the album. Last Horizon fit really well for the mood and let's face it has been performed with Queen much more than he ever did solo now so it fit enough. Final Destination was a b-side I really loved from RT and thought it sounded very Queen. I know that there are a ton of tracks from BTTL and Happiness? unused but I wanted to pull those more for a non-Freddie Queen album.

1998 - No-One But You

1. The Dark
2. Back To The Light
3. No More Fun
4. Why Don't We Try Again
5. Is It Me? (Original Acetate Mix)
6. What Are We Made Of
7. Touch The Sky
8. Resurrection
9. Everybody Hurts Sometime
10. Where Are We Now?
11. Business (Rock On Cozy Mix)
12. Foreign Sand
13. Nothin' But Blue
14. Old Friends
15. No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)

I thought it a nice touch with 13-15 being the three main Freddie tributes.

Then after that I guess there was a break but I decided they resurfaced in 2010 with a new B/R album as best as I could make - obviously couldn't use Paul generally. I did semi-cheat and used Kerry on one track as a reference to the time in the musical and to fill it out a bit and Paul on three tracks which seemed okay...as long as primarily it was a B/R album...

2010 - Say It's Not True

1. Be My Gal (My Brightest Spark)
2. Invincible Hope (One Year On Mix)
3. Sunny Day
4. Dangerland (w/Kerry Ellis)
5. Up
6. Some Things That Glitter (w/Paul Rodgers)
7. The Call (Full Studio Version)
8. Whole House Rockin' (Roger demo version)
9. I Don't Care
10. We Believe (w/Paul Rodgers)
11. Dream Of Thee
12. Say It's Not True (Hybrid Version)
13. Smile
14. Surf's Up...School's Out (w/Paul Rodgers)
15. Small (Roger hybrid version)

OK So I opened with Be My Gal for the connection with Surf's up. Dangerland was one of the most Queen tracks Brian has written in years so I figured I'd use it. The Call which I know is hated for the most part is something I'm more amused by then anything so fill it out a bit)The hybrid versions do their best to eliminate Paul vocals.

Nowhere near perfect but a fun way to listen to albums I've listened to a thousand times before :)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AngelR » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:30 am

Might be related to this topic!
While presenting BBC awards tonight, Adam was asked about collaboration with Queen several times...

Here is a part from Adam's interview by bbc.co.uk:

'What are your plans for next year?
I have so much going on. I’m writing and recording here in London, and I’ll be doing some more in LA when I get home. I have a couple of big announcements to make that I can’t really talk about!'

More information here:

http://www.contactmusic.net/adam-lamber ... ts_5506889

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:58 pm

icy wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:

Imagine it...

01. The Business
02. A Nation of Haircuts
03. China Belle
04. Surrender
05. Wilderness
06. No More Fun
08. Pressure On
09. Another World
10. Tonight
12. Being On My Own

Indeed, I would not fault it if that happened. Funny thing, I wish it did happen that way instead of all the + stuff.
I love your thoughts and lists. :thumbsup: I would have liked that even more, cause some gems in your list I didn't think about before.

And imagine if they both worked on all songs. Roger could have done with Brians guitar. And their backing vocals together are great. I am sure it would have lifted the songs to another level.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:04 pm

Yep, if the 3 of them had continued as a unit things would have worked out very different. There would certainly have been a lot more goodwill towards them that their adventues with Paul Rodgers and the kid they're touring with now.

They could have continued as a creative unit for a bit longer, but instead Brian and Roger focused on the musical and then returned to Queen as a purely nostalgic vehicle. Critics will says that Brian and Roger aren't great singers - but as mentioned earlier they had fairly successful solo careers through the 90's and DID take lead vocals on Queen material. It could have been huge.

Shame things went sour between John and Brian/Roger between NOBU and the Queen+ stuff.

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
icy wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:

Imagine it...

01. The Business
02. A Nation of Haircuts
03. China Belle
04. Surrender
05. Wilderness
06. No More Fun
08. Pressure On
09. Another World
10. Tonight
12. Being On My Own

And imagine if they both worked on all songs. Roger could have done with Brians guitar. And their backing vocals together are great. I am sure it would have lifted the songs to another level.

Sometimes I think 'what if' or 'if only'.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:19 pm

dearmrmurdoch wrote:Yep, if the 3 of them had continued as a unit things would have worked out very different. There would certainly have been a lot more goodwill towards them that their adventues with Paul Rodgers and the kid they're touring with now.

They could have continued as a creative unit for a bit longer, but instead Brian and Roger focused on the musical and then returned to Queen as a purely nostalgic vehicle. Critics will says that Brian and Roger aren't great singers - but as mentioned earlier they had fairly successful solo careers through the 90's and DID take lead vocals on Queen material. It could have been huge.

Shame things went sour between John and Brian/Roger between NOBU and the Queen+ stuff.

True that Brian and Roger aren't great singers...but very few people are 'great' singers. For example Coming Soon and Sail Away Sweet Sister' are ( IMO ) very good Queen songs, with just good vocals, but to have Brian and Roger perform those live would be pretty cool, even without great vocals, I'd be happy with that.
Yea, it's a shame. I still think some Q+ things are piss poor. The Pepsi advert, I think sold themselves short.
I was pretty much happy with Q+PR, I look back at that time fondly.
I hope that Brian and Roger one day will focus on Queen with Freddie, John and hopeful, future releases in that realm.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:01 am

I'm always somewhat baffled when I hear people say that Roger is not that great as a vocalist - if a vocal like 'Im In Love With My Car' had been delivered by the likes of Steve Perry, Steven Tyler et al, it would receive all sorts of praise - it's an incredible vocal.

Yes, Brian is very much a backing vocalist who signs a certain softer style well ('39, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Sail Away Sweet Sister) and he ain't a rock singer at all, but Roger would very easily be considered a lead vocalist if he could be heard 'untainted' by his Queen drum stool association. Live (with The Cross is the best example of full shows on a touring scale) he was always consistently good - far more reliable than a lot of front line vocalists.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:44 pm

cmsdrums wrote:I'm always somewhat baffled when I hear people say that Roger is not that great as a vocalist - if a vocal like 'Im In Love With My Car' had been delivered by the likes of Steve Perry, Steven Tyler et al, it would receive all sorts of praise - it's an incredible vocal.

Yes, Brian is very much a backing vocalist who signs a certain softer style well ('39, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Sail Away Sweet Sister) and he ain't a rock singer at all, but Roger would very easily be considered a lead vocalist if he could be heard 'untainted' by his Queen drum stool association. Live (with The Cross is the best example of full shows on a touring scale) he was always consistently good - far more reliable than a lot of front line vocalists.

He is good. I don't know if it is a help or hinder that he can sound like Rod Stewart. Roger has proved, to my ears anyways, he can sing very quietly, and loudly, depending on the song of course. Brian's voice to me comes across as very 'folksy' at times, and from me, that's a compliment.
Just one thing out of many I wish happened in the back Queen catalogue...that Brian's and Roger's voices took the lead together.My favorite vocal from Roger ( and somehow I almost hate to say it) is DOOL when its live.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby ultrasoundz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Roger certainly has the vocal chops as a lead singer. He just ain't a great frontman — for all his natural charm in conversation he regularly looks quite awkward out front, and I always prefer him behind a drumkit which is his natural home.

In the studio I find Brian's voice is really nice and warm but isn't strong enough to sing lead live, except in acoustic songs.

Over the years (and several solo tours) I think both Brian and Roger have realised their shortcomings as frontmen and hence have brought in guest singers, firstly Paul and then Adam. Whatever everyone's views on the rights or wrongs of 'Queen +' recording and releasing new material with other singers I think they made the decision to tour with both Paul and Adam for the right reasons ...and, from first hand personal experience, the live shows have been great as a result.
http://www.colvex.co.uk ...the baddest things happen in threes

ultrasoundz
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:17 pm

icy wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:I'm always somewhat baffled when I hear people say that Roger is not that great as a vocalist - if a vocal like 'Im In Love With My Car' had been delivered by the likes of Steve Perry, Steven Tyler et al, it would receive all sorts of praise - it's an incredible vocal.

He is good. I don't know if it is a help or hinder that he can sound like Rod Stewart. Roger has proved, to my ears anyways, he can sing very quietly, and loudly, depending on the song of course. Brian's voice to me comes across as very 'folksy' at times, and from me, that's a compliment.
Just one thing out of many I wish happened in the back Queen catalogue...that Brian's and Roger's voices took the lead together.My favorite vocal from Roger ( and somehow I almost hate to say it) is DOOL when its live.

The closest we got was Let Me Live and No One But You I guess. But Freddie also sang on Le Me Live of course.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 am

I love Brian and Roger's voice together in harmony on the album version of 'Say It's Not True' (before PR come wailing in)

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On