Queen- in 3-D!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen- in 3-D!

Postby BitterTears » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:26 pm

May 25th Brian's site is saying

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby agkelly » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:49 pm

I am looking forward to getting this, especially given 'G's extra notes about it. Makes it more intriguing to know there's more to it than just a heap of photos that can be viewed in replica 3D using the Owl device.

I do have to agree with the sentiments already posted here. As a former graphic designer myself (well, only an occasional one these days), that cover just looks very amateur. It looks like something that someone's done in Microsoft Publisher (even down to the archway-shape of the title). I remember those days as a late-teen nearly 20yrs ago. I've always enjoyed doing things that looked good. I used to make birthday cards for my family, and would make any typed document more visually impressive by adding colour and curved text-art headings and I used clipart and the like. I thought at the time they looked great because I didn't really know what I was doing properly. I look at some of those things now, and wow. They. Were. Bad. I know Brian is a wonderfully creative person, musically and lyrically in particular, and I can see he has visual ideas that aren't bad, however I feel that he doesn't quite know how to convert those ideas into a final image a lot of the time. It's quite a common thing for people who've not had proper training or studied in this type of field.

I say all that hoping it was indeed Brian who designed the cover and not Richard Gray or another graphic designer. If it was, then they really should hand back their certificates or diplomas. Even if they were under the close watch and instruction of someone such as Brian, there are things they could have done that kept the essence of the design yet improved it ten-fold.

The other point that people have made that I also tend to agree with is the overused common theme of the past 10-15 years of having a Queen product solely having Freddie on the front cover. Yes, he is the greatest front-man of all time, and yes, when people think of Queen, they think of Freddie Mercury, henceforth he is the more recognisable member of the band. However, as others have said, the Queen that people associate with the name 'Queen' with are four members. Four equal members who brought their own special magic to make the band the most wonderful band that they are / were (I'm not getting into the Queen+_____ debate here!). Particularly for a product named 'Queen In 3D', I'm sure there would have to be some decent photos of the band in action that could be used for the cover art.

I look forward to having a look through the book once I have a copy, and finding some photos inside that would have made for a much more visually-appealing front cover. I have no doubt there will be.

I haven't been in these forums much of late, so I don't know if there has been announced the Queen items that are planned for release this coming year, but whatever does make their way into the public domain, I sure hope we get something other than just Freddie on the cover (unless, of course, it's purely a Freddie Mercury item ... but surely that's been done to death (pardon the saying) and there can't be anything new in the vault now?).

One can only hope! Fingers crossed..!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenFan19 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:05 am

This is the original cover they had two years. Similar to this one, but I would say better.

http://static.queenonline.com.s3.amazon ... 20_360.jpg
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby agkelly » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:17 pm

See? It's the font that's dragging it down!! Gah!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 pm

As long as it covers and acknowledges QUEEN +!!! :!:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby agkelly » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm thinking it won't. I'd imagine it'd be pretty much 1970's-1980's only.

Happy to be wrong though.

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:04 pm

If Brian took a 3D camera on the QPR and QAL tours, I'm thinking they will be in there. Albeit just a few pages. I'm sure the majority of the book will be 'real' Queen though.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Action This Day » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Good to see Brian still using fonts from Windows 95.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:37 am

+1 for looking forward to the book, but seeing immediately that the cover is all sorts of awful.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Um, I like the cover...

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 pm

The picture is indeed a great shot...however i am in agreement with the vast majority whereby i feel a 'Queen ' product should feature a shot of the whole band and feel in my opinion Brian could have chosen a more suitable picture from his collection. Not a lover of the font either but i guess Brian will also have some 3-d reason for using this.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

I think Brian wanted a retro look ... As the photos are from the 70s and 80s..

In that perspective, I understand. But I would prefer the cover of the Live Killers album, with all members.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Hutchence » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Just read on bm.com that it will cost 50 pounds...

Hutchence
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 am

TheHero wrote:I think Brian wanted a retro look ... As the photos are from the 70s and 80s..

In that perspective, I understand. But I would prefer the cover of the Live Killers album, with all members.

I also agree with the comment that, there is a reasons why choose this font.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Even though i think Brian could have chosen a more suitable picture of the whole band that would have looked just as good in a lenticular format for the front cover and also have a dislike of the font being used, looking at some of the press being released recently the book does look very high quality and hope it will be a decent addition and worth the outlay.
I still really enjoy the 'Gluttons for punishment' release all those years back and really surprised there were never anymore tour books that perhaps expanded on what that tried to achieve.
Could have been some really good photo tour books of 84 and 86 outings in my opinion that fans would maybe have appreciated.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On