Queen- in 3-D!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen- in 3-D!

Postby Kes » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 am

It's not like Queen have ever had bad press before, is it? Or done deals with a rag owned by Murdoch? Personally, I think when you're able to control your own press releases, and have had bad experiences of using the wider media, then like Mr Trump, you should be a bit more selective who you do deals with.

I guess when it goes well for them, like the We Will Rock You CD in the Sun, then it's OK.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 am

Kes wrote:
I guess when it goes well for them, like the We Will Rock You CD in the Sun, then it's OK.

Got that one. Until Queen On Air came out, the only physical release of WWRY fast version.

I wonder, did The Beatles receive the same amount of criticism in the press over the years? And what about Pink Floyd or The Rolling Stones? Was it only Queen that was resent by the UK press, a band they loved to hate? I never understood why the press did not hail them as one of the best bands ever from the UK? And if you look at the album reviews over the years, they are so badly written, that you would think they were making a joke, because they are so wrong and full of crap and you wonder if you should laugh or cry.

I got the feeling Queen was so hard to put in a category, that the press got confused and annoyed by it ?
Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Thu May 25, 2017 9:06 am

Kes wrote:It's not like Queen have ever had bad press before, is it? Or done deals with a rag owned by Murdoch? Personally, I think when you're able to control your own press releases, and have had bad experiences of using the wider media, then like Mr Trump, you should be a bit more selective who you do deals with.

exactly

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 am

TheHero wrote:
Kes wrote:

Got that one. Until Queen On Air came out, the only physical release of WWRY fast version.

I wonder, did The Beatles receive the same amount of criticism in the press over the years? And what about Pink Floyd or The Rolling Stones? Was it only Queen that was resent by the UK press, a band they loved to hate? I never understood why the press did not hail them as one of the best bands ever from the UK? And if you look at the album reviews over the years, they are so badly written, that you would think they were making a joke, because they are so wrong and full of crap and you wonder if you should laugh or cry.

I got the feeling Queen was so hard to put in a category, that the press got confused and annoyed by it ?

Back in the early seventies, the way a band "made it", was to endlessly gig round London and gradually build themselves up a following. Queen were different in that respect. They didn't really do the pub circuit, however they rehearsed a lot more than the average band. They did their demos at Wembley, and then hawked them round the record companies. Although it took about eighteen months to get a deal with Trident, it only took about six months from having their first album released, to then having a top flight single in the charts, and embarking on a UK headlining tour. As far as the press were concerned, this band had made it without needing them, and that automatically made them resent the band. As far as they were concerned Queen had been manufactured by Trident and EMI, to exploit the pop market.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Jimi » Thu May 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Kes wrote:
TheHero wrote:
Kes wrote:

Back in the early seventies, the way a band "made it", was to endlessly gig round London and gradually build themselves up a following. Queen were different in that respect. They didn't really do the pub circuit, however they rehearsed a lot more than the average band. They did their demos at Wembley, and then hawked them round the record companies. Although it took about eighteen months to get a deal with Trident, it only took about six months from having their first album released, to then having a top flight single in the charts, and embarking on a UK headlining tour. As far as the press were concerned, this band had made it without needing them, and that automatically made them resent the band. As far as they were concerned Queen had been manufactured by Trident and EMI, to exploit the pop market.

I think the timing didn't help either. They were seen as being on the coat tails of the glam rock era and therefore a bit passé.
Glam was never particularly cool ,with the exception of Bowie, so they were easy targets. I don't think they were seen as a 'serious' rock band by a lot of Journos.
Odd really but there you go.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Faellie » Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Brian May interview about Queen in 3D with Samira Ahmed for BBC radio 4 here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qxfrx

Back to why Queen were never appreciated, one of the problems was I think that the music critics didn't have the skills to write about one of the big reasons for their success: that they had so many great melodies in their songs. Music critics write about instrumentation, and tempo, and dynamics, and lyrics, and song structure, but they rarely have the knowledge to write informatively about melody. Which tends to mean that they don't recognise one of the band's big strengths and reasons for their popularity. Which then means that they don't understand that popularity and come to resent it.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby KNIGHT » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Just bought it.....and with a discount of 35%. I've paid just £32.42.
It's cheaper than buying it in my own country....even with the cost of the dispatch!?!?! Awesome.... :-D

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Photos are from this article on the Queen in 3D-book. Daily Mail, 24 May 2017:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... Queen.html

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 pm

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Fri May 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Mine arrived at work today but saving the opening until I get home (and don't want to deal with the questions once the OWL gets cracked open)

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby cmsdrums » Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Just received mine - first proof reading error spotted is the incorrect spelling of Max von Sydow (in the book as Max von Sidow)!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 pm

cmsdrums wrote:Just received mine - first proof reading error spotted is the incorrect spelling of Max von Sydow (in the book as Max von Sidow)!

Did Brian take a stereo photo of Max von Sydow during the Flash Gordon period ? :-)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Sadly not, but there is a section on Flash Gordon and a few pics of the premiere

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri May 26, 2017 9:31 pm

That's nice! :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 pm

phpBB [video]

As Brian says in this video, the book is also fine for simply flipping through the pages and looking at pictures without the owl, because there are normal, big format photos and stories in addition to the stereo photos made for viewing in 3D.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On