Freddie Mercury Mr Bad Guy Is it time for reissue?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Freddie Mercury Mr Bad Guy Is it time for reissue?

Postby WiseMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 am

Hi everyone.
What do you think about Freddie Mercury Mr Bad Guy solo album?
Is it time for reissue?
Any thoughts!

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Re: Freddie Mercury Mr Bad Guy Is it time for reissue?

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 am

No

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

hotspace1966 wrote:No

Why would so pessimism ?

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm

WiseMan wrote:Hi everyone.
Is it time for reissue?
Any thoughts!

Well, considering the same question has been on asked on the Freddie Facebook profile I am guessing it is pretty imminent.

I would love a reissue; but, it needs to be done properly and it needs some decent promotion! I would have no objection to a single remastered release as well as a double album version in which they get some contemporary singers to duet with Freddie on some songs. I wouldn't mind if they scrapped the original backing tracks (apart from Fred's piano) and re-recorded the music too.

Thing is, I think there are some very classy and timeless songs on this album - and it deserves to be heard more by a wider audience.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

NO.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm

no
there are no classy and timeless tunes on it. You need to get out more !

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Jimi wrote:no

I refer the gentleman to my previous posts in the other thread: it is all subjective my friend. All subjective. I think some of the songs on this album are wonderful; do I think they were recorded in the best way? Er, no. Do I think some of them seem a little rushed? Er, yes. But do I think some of them had class? Yes. Definitely.

I think you can split many Queen fans straight down the line with regards to Fred's solo output: Half of them have no time for it and half of them do. I believe that all comes down to what attracted us to Queen in the first place: for some, it was more Brian's guitar and the rocking side of the band, for others - like myself - it was more Freddie's output; I can truly say, hand on heart, that if Freddie had not been in Queen, I would not have even paid any attention to them in the first place.

Mr Bad Guy deserves a re-release. It doesn't hurt those like you who don't take to it, does it? You simply do not buy it - it surely makes no difference to you at all; but it does make a difference to those of us who happen to like it.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 am

I like many of the songs. But I would not be interested in a reissue unless the backing tracks were re-recorded and remixed by Brian and Roger. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Echoplex » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Is it time for reissue?
Any thoughts!

Well, considering the same question has been on asked on the Freddie Facebook profile I am guessing it is pretty imminent.

I would love a reissue; but, it needs to be done properly and it needs some decent promotion! I would have no objection to a single remastered release as well as a double album version in which they get some contemporary singers to duet with Freddie on some songs. I wouldn't mind if they scrapped the original backing tracks (apart from Fred's piano) and re-recorded the music too.

Thing is, I think there are some very classy and timeless songs on this album - and it deserves to be heard more by a wider audience.

So you advocate yourself as a major Queen fan, you've stated that he is the reason you became a Queen fan but you want or wouldn't mind if they scrapped the original backing tracks of Mr Guy. So chuck out the work Freddie put into how the music was played, recorded and produced, and chuck in a duets version of songs that were never written or recorded as duets. Priceless! I'm not a big fan of the album, I would be even less so if it had less to do with Freddie!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Is it time for reissue?
Any thoughts!

Many thoughts, none complimentary.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:27 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:... version in which they get some contemporary singers to duet with Freddie on some songs.

What the ACTUAL fuck?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Jimi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
Jimi wrote:no

I refer the gentleman to my previous posts in the other thread: it is all subjective my friend. All subjective. I think some of the songs on this album are wonderful; do I think they were recorded in the best way? Er, no. Do I think some of them seem a little rushed? Er, yes. But do I think some of them had class? Yes. Definitely.

I think you can split many Queen fans straight down the line with regards to Fred's solo output: Half of them have no time for it and half of them do. I believe that all comes down to what attracted us to Queen in the first place: for some, it was more Brian's guitar and the rocking side of the band, for others - like myself - it was more Freddie's output; I can truly say, hand on heart, that if Freddie had not been in Queen, I would not have even paid any attention to them in the first place.

Mr Bad Guy deserves a re-release. It doesn't hurt those like you who don't take to it, does it? You simply do not buy it - it surely makes no difference to you at all; but it does make a difference to those of us who happen to like it.

Its not necessary to say its subjective or 'its only my opinion' of course it is !
Quite simply its a poor album that doesn't need or require a reissue. Just play the bloody one you've got if you must ! Believe me its much more than half of Queen fans that don't have any time for it

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Jimi wrote:Quite simply its a poor album that doesn't need or require a reissue. Just play the bloody one you've got if you must !

To me, it's poor largely because of how it was recorded. The redone tracks on Made in Heaven prove there is great potential in the songs themselves that could possibly be explored in a tweaked/redone version à la the special edition of Barcelona.

Like I said elsewhere, much of Hot Space sounded great live, when they rocked it up a bit. I f*cking loathe "Back Chat" on the album, but the live cut from Queen on Fire simply smokes. No reason the same kind of thing couldn't be done with Mr. Bad Guy.

Should they? I don't know, but I'd be very interested to hear it if they did.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:49 pm

true.
I actually thought the Hot Space tour was superior to The Works and Magic tour. For the record I went to all of them. The Hot Space tracks were excellent. Such a shame they didn't record them in that way. I think they would have had a very good album on their hands.
I suppose anything is possible but I cant see them tampering with the original album.
I'd rather they did a rework of Hot Space!

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Echoplex wrote:
So you advocate yourself as a major Queen fan, you've stated that he is the reason you became a Queen fan but you want or wouldn't mind if they scrapped the original backing tracks of Mr Guy. So chuck out the work Freddie put into how the music was played, recorded and produced, and chuck in a duets version of songs that were never written or recorded as duets. Priceless! I'm not a big fan of the album, I would be even less so if it had less to do with Freddie!

Priceless? Not really, fella. Made In Heaven (the album) was adored by many real Queen fans and that included Freddie solo tracks which were reworked by the band. I suggest you think again about your words.

A second disc of his music done as duets might bring this little-known album to a wider audience - and I am sure Freddie would not be too sad about that.

I always hear alarm bells when someone barges on in with a post starting along the lines of 'you advocate you are a major Queen fan' etc. :roll:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On