Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:52 pm

bigV wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Game looks smart, but it would have been nice to hear they had secretly been working for a year on a proper release.

All the stuff (video and audio) was catalogued years ago by Greg. I would imagine that there have been many in house pitches for products. Remember, Queen Forever was teased (on this message board!) almost a decade before the actual release. They have the products, it's all a matter of deciding on a schedule. And that's a waiting game.

I've moved on to other things.

V.

Yup. Agreed.

In all honesty, this would have pissed me off a little a few years back, but I think many of us have given up with regards to hoping for the releases we all really want; as you say, move on to other things. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby TheHero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:45 pm

After the release of Rainbow 74 and the studio collection, I am actually satisfied with the Queen
catalogue as it is today. We have just about everything that is made of proper studio​ recordings. And all
the best live recordings are now released. Every release from now on will be of worse quality than
anything that is already out there, so for me there is no point in new releases.

No matter if you aren't one of those who want to get a hold of the Queen Monopoly,
you have to give them credit for a super design, from the outer cover, gaming board and to the tokens.
Looks very official and genuine, and true to the period 1973-1986. They obviously did their very best to make
this a beautiful game. As a fan, I am thankful for that:

http://brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/pix/ ... 90x683.jpg

Monopoly is probably the most classic board game there is, and I think a Queen version is kind of fun.
Considering the top quality of what we have already seen, I am very curious about the gaming cards and what
is written on them. :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigV » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 am

TheHero wrote:Monopoly is probably the most classic board game there is, and I think a Queen version is kind of fun.
Considering the top quality of what we have already seen, I am very curious about the gaming cards and what
is written on them. :)

First one to find a typo gets a chocolate Easter egg... :lol:

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby TheHero » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Yeah, why not :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Nah, there's still a lot sat in those archives that needs addressing.

The releases we've had since 2011 just proves that.

A designated and comprehensive 12" Collection.

All the promo videos released, all in one place.

The Anthologies. If it was worth doing a Freddie solo set including the studio out takes and alternate versions, it's certainly worth doing it with the Queen stuff.

The Earl's Court, Hyde Park, Houston, and Live Killers tour gigs.

Yeah, there's still stuff to do.

The excuse of having X amount of stuff, and having to stretch it for the next three hundred years, doesn't really work with me. I'm not going to be here in thirty years, let alone three hundred.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Jimi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

Kes wrote:Nah, there's still a lot sat in those archives that needs addressing.

The Anthologies. If it was worth doing a Freddie solo set including the studio out takes and alternate versions, it's certainly worth doing it with the Queen stuff.

The Earl's Court, Hyde Park, Houston, and Live Killers tour gigs.

Yeah, there's still stuff to do.

The excuse of having X amount of stuff, and having to stretch it for the next three hundred years, doesn't really work with me. I'm not going to be here in thirty years, let alone three hundred.

And that's the crux. None of us are getting any younger. Crack on and give the people what they want whilst you still have some artistic control. (i.e. still alive and well) Every year that goes by the market for this stuff is shrinking.I know many people that would have bought this stuff ( earls court etc) ten years ago but now there's not a cat in hells chance they would bother. I don't get the point of waiting.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:05 am

Put too much out in quick succession and you flood the market - people won't buy it all. Release at a steady rate and sales will be higher.

I would have thought that Universal have a huge backlog of data they use when deciding upon marketing strategies and one major product per year, just in time for the Christmas market, is optimum for a band like Queen. It's not in their interests to hold things back unnecessarily if they could be on the shelves earning money.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Jimi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:09 pm

WeeMann wrote:Put too much out in quick succession and you flood the market - people won't buy it all. Release at a steady rate and sales will be higher.

I would have thought that Universal have a huge backlog of data they use when deciding upon marketing strategies and one major product per year, just in time for the Christmas market, is optimum for a band like Queen. It's not in their interests to hold things back unnecessarily if they could be on the shelves earning money.

and what is a steady rate?
I don't think anyone expects a dvd every month but come on
Marketing strategy?? Hardly a scientific approach. 'Oh its Christmas lets put something out' ! Its optimum for everyone to release stuff for the xmas market

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Jimi wrote:I don't think anyone expects a dvd every month but come on

Of course we don't: we have been Queen fans for far too long. :P

But, seriously, QPL do come across as fucking lazy at times.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby TheHero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Back to topic: Does anyone know if the Queen Monopoly will be on several languages,
or a UK version only? :)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I think the disappointing thing for me was the fabled Queen anthology being mentioned in the Freddie boxset as upcoming and Brian around the same time mentioning it in interviews and then just silence. I waited for over 10 years for it before finally admitting that it wasn't actually coming. Such a shame. Concerts and so on are good but the anthology is the one release I would get really excited about and be literally waiting for the postman to arrive.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 pm

BitterTears wrote:I think the disappointing thing for me was the fabled Queen anthology being mentioned in the Freddie boxset as upcoming and Brian around the same time mentioning it in interviews and then just silence. I waited for over 10 years for it before finally admitting that it wasn't actually coming. Such a shame. Concerts and so on are good but the anthology is the one release I would get really excited about and be literally waiting for the postman to arrive.

What about the 2011 Remasters Deluxe 2CD versions of the Queen catalogue ?
That is 15 CDs with bonus material..+ 15 albums!!

If you ask me, that is more than most other bands.. The Beatles Anthology was 3 x 2CDs .. Queen : 15 CDs with bonus ... Still people complain..

In addition we got an amazing 18 LP Box Set with book and a fantastic 4 LP Rainbow set with lots
of stuff in the box. I am more than happy with this.

And we now even got a 6CD Box of the BBC recordings + 3LP set

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 pm

TheHero wrote:What about the 2011 Remasters Deluxe 2CD versions of the Queen catalogue ?
That is 15 CDs with bonus material..+ 15 albums!!

If you ask me, that is more than most other bands.. The Beatles Anthology was 3 x 2CDs .. Queen : 15 CDs with bonus ... Still people complain..

Yeah, not sure if you are saying that tongue in cheek or not but it was the 2011 remasters that made me finally give up hope. So much potential to do something special with the second discs but it wasn't to be. There was a few tantalising treats on there but unfortunately a lot of stuff we already had.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:47 pm

The Beatles Anthologies were 6x 75 minute CDs FULL of stuff that had never before been officially commercially available.

If we take the stuff from the bonus EPs that had never before been commercially available, you'd be lucky to fill one CD from each batch of five albums, in fact I think Hollywood did exactly that as 3x promo CDs in the States.

The other thing you have to take into account is that The Beatles were an active recording unit for eight years, the first three of those years, they didn't tend to keep much in the way of out-takes or demos in that time, as the masters were effectively live studio recordings.

Queen were an active recording unit for twenty years, and technology meant they have a greater ability to make stems or partial remixes of the master tracks, should a demo or out-take not exist, in so giving them better options at making a working Anthology than The Beatles did. I think Greg Brooks once said that they could fairly easily make a nine or ten disc set, with what was there.

They NEED to be a stand alone item, and not tagged onto a further issue of the studio masters. I don't think we could handle a further set of remasters over the last four or five runs of remasters, that audiophiles ALL seem to suggest weren't a patch on the first ones they did in the eighties. Unless of course they were to do a comprehensive surround sound set, and then a lot of us MIGHT go "Fuck it", and buy them.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:33 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_1

I remember buying thls CD when it came out. I thought it was the most boring Beatles album
ever, except from Free As A Bird, which was a complete song. It was actually done in the way Queen did with
Made In Heaven.. adding instruments and effects to the uncomplete song sung by John Lennon.

That said, I would much more prefer if a normal Beatles album came out with a bonus EP, like Queen
did with the 2011 Remasters, because then there would at least be an album with complete studio recorded songs that was pleasant to listen to.

I guess it comes down to a matter of taste and needs.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On