Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby bigV » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 am

TheHero wrote:Amazing! Never thought I would see that again.. even the clickable links are working! :D


I seem to recall that the site won an award for best website dedicated to a music artist.

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

TheHero wrote:What about the 2011 Remasters Deluxe 2CD versions of the Queen catalogue ?
That is 15 CDs with bonus material..+ 15 albums!!

If you ask me, that is more than most other bands.. The Beatles Anthology was 3 x 2CDs .. Queen : 15 CDs with bonus ... Still people complain..

The 2011 bonus EPs had more empty space on them than music. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure if you added them all up it'd probably come to less than 4 full CDs worth of audio, and that's before you factor in quite how many of the bonus tracks were pointless new instrumental/a-capella mixes or live takes simply lifted off of existing live albums.

So no, it wasn't even nearly as much as the Beatles anthologies included.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury
 
Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby bigV » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

Leigh Burne wrote:The 2011 bonus EPs had more empty space on them than music. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure if you added them all up it'd probably come to less than 4 full CDs worth of audio, and that's before you factor in quite how many of the bonus tracks were pointless new instrumental/a-capella mixes or live takes simply lifted off of existing live albums.

So no, it wasn't even nearly as much as the Beatles anthologies included.


I made a personal experiment - I created a playlist in WinAmp with the album and the EP to that album. With the exception of Made In Heaven (the 22-minute Track 13), every album could fit on a CD with all the bonus tracks from the second CD. The bonus CDs were a waste of plastic.

But I disagree - I liked the bonus tracks (even though I'd heard 90% of them before). I just wish they had filled the bonus CD with more than 6-7 tracks.

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 am

bigV wrote:I made a personal experiment - I created a playlist in WinAmp with the album and the EP to that album. With the exception of Made In Heaven (the 22-minute Track 13), every album could fit on a CD with all the bonus tracks from the second CD. The bonus CDs were a waste of plastic.


V.


I wonder what Brian the environmentalist and Earth lover thinks of that?!!!
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby nickguy1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Let's create what an ideal EP for each album should be
 
nickguy1
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Disappointed

      
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:24 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby bigV » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:58 pm

cmsdrums wrote:I wonder what Brian the environmentalist and Earth lover thinks of that?!!!


It's not his decision. He owns the rights to the songs, but how they are marketed is up to the record company (this particular record company paid $40 million - or was it pounds? - to get said rights).

A few years ago, Brian made a "reverse birthday present" on his birthday - he published the backing track of Last Horizon on his website, for guitar-playing fans to use. I later found out that he had to get all sorts of clearances from the record company, which took him months. That's when I realised that the music business is much more complicated that I had imagined.

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:23 pm

bigV wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:I wonder what Brian the environmentalist and Earth lover thinks of that?!!!


It's not his decision. He owns the rights to the songs, but how they are marketed is up to the record company (this particular record company paid $40 million - or was it pounds? - to get said rights).

A few years ago, Brian made a "reverse birthday present" on his birthday - he published the backing track of Last Horizon on his website, for guitar-playing fans to use. I later found out that he had to get all sorts of clearances from the record company, which took him months. That's when I realised that the music business is much more complicated that I had imagined.

V.


It was actually a good friend of mine that asked for the Last Horizon backing tracks, and he was, and is, very grateful for that!

On the subject of publishing rights, a few years back my band wanted to record a cover of Crazy Little Thing...but wanted to actually cover the cover version in the style of Josh Kelley's version that is on the overseas 'Killer Queen' tribute album. Bearing in mind we were very much a pub cover that might sell/give away a very small number of copies of our CD, we could easily have just recorded the tracks anyway as most bands would, but wanted to do the right thing, and so along with three other tracks (including a Prince track) we went about it the right way and approached all copyright holders to ask permission to record the tracks; EMI Publishing were the only ones to say 'No', stating that the right to change the arrangement to CLTCL existed in Australia/NZ only and they'd basically 'have us' if we tried to record that version.

Feeling slightly put out, I messaged Brian via his Soapbox to explain the situation - not to beg a change of mind but just let him know how we felt, and to let him know that actually EMI Publishing were doing a grand job of protecting his rights(!). He was a true gent, and basically said, 'great to hear you're a fan, it's terrible to hear what's happened, and to leave this with me and I'll speak to Jim Beach'.......a week later a letter arrived from EMI Publishing saying that they'd had a "change of heart/mind" on the rights issue, and would allow us to record the track in the same style as the 'Josh Kelley version. So in summary - that man is/was an absolute hero to me anyway before all that, but just went even higher in my estimation after that....I believe my band are still the only act authorized in the UK to re-record that track as per that version!! :-)
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
On the subject of publishing rights, a few years back my band wanted to record a cover of Crazy Little Thing...but wanted to actually cover the cover version in the style of Josh Kelley's version that is on the overseas 'Killer Queen' tribute album. Bearing in mind we were very much a pub cover that might sell/give away a very small number of copies of our CD, we could easily have just recorded the tracks anyway as most bands would, but wanted to do the right thing, and so along with three other tracks (including a Prince track) we went about it the right way and approached all copyright holders to ask permission to record the tracks; EMI Publishing were the only ones to say 'No', stating that the right to change the arrangement to CLTCL existed in Australia/NZ only and they'd basically 'have us' if we tried to record that version.

Feeling slightly put out, I messaged Brian via his Soapbox to explain the situation - not to beg a change of mind but just let him know how we felt, and to let him know that actually EMI Publishing were doing a grand job of protecting his rights(!). He was a true gent, and basically said, 'great to hear you're a fan, it's terrible to hear what's happened, and to leave this with me and I'll speak to Jim Beach'.......a week later a letter arrived from EMI Publishing saying that they'd had a "change of heart/mind" on the rights issue, and would allow us to record the track in the same style as the 'Josh Kelley version. So in summary - that man is/was an absolute hero to me anyway before all that, but just went even higher in my estimation after that....I believe my band are still the only act authorized in the UK to re-record that track as per that version!! :-)


I have always thought Brian was a genuine soul, a decent fellow; your post just reaffirms my belief.

I wrote to the man in the late 90s (around the time he released Another World...'97-ish?); I never expected a reply, so was absolutely delighted to receive a full letter and signed photo some months later. And then I met him at the Queen Ballet in London and found him to be such a warm, courteous, lovely man. I will always defend Brian until the day I die (I many not agree with him on everything, but will always stand by my opinion of him as a good man).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2790
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby TheHero » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm

That's true, Brian is an incredibly kind and sensitive person. Not many artists are that involved
with fans, and commenting letters.

When it comes to the 2011 Remasters Deluxe 2CD, I think the concept
is brilliant. You get a clean studioalbum, and the other stuff on a separate disc.
I would not want other stuff on the actual studioalbum. Keep it original.
Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby TheHero » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 am

I have been fortunate to have met Brian on a few occasions in the past and must say have found him to be the most genuine and polite person possible. One of the first times was backstage at the Sheffield show on the 'Back to the Light' tour ...all very last minute and not expected at all. My wife and i had taken time off to see every date on the UK tour and a chance presented itself when we were invited to go backstage by a good friend of ours who moved in these type of circles. We waited backstage after the show with about half a dozen other people and it was obvious they were good friends or family of Brian's and time was getting on as Brian proceeded to spend a lot of time with these other people. We were respectful and mindful of his time and was just about to leave without speaking to him and as he saw us get up to make a move he sent Julie Glover over to have a word to offer his apologies for keeping us waiting and urged us not to leave as he would be over for a chat in a few minutes.
True to his word he made the time late in the evening to spend time with 2 people he had never met before, we spoke for about 10/15 minutes and he was happy to have a couple of quick photos taken. We were very appreciative of his time, but all Brian could think about was the fact he felt bad that he could not spend more time chatting to us and mentioned that we would catch up further during one of the next dates if we spoke to Julie about further passes.
We were at the time more than happy with the time we had spent with Brian and did not like to take him up on his kind offer as we continued our travels watching the tour, although we were always met with a smile by the crew and his staff and were invited backstage a few other times.
A great thoughtful guy, who whilst i do not always agree with his views politically or on some release's cannot be faulted as a person.
Incidentally, although i have heard mixed views about Roger , we have also found him to be a true gent on the times we have met him, very friendly and also very funny and considerate.
 
hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 am

hotspace1966 wrote:...
A great thoughtful guy, who whilst i do not always agree with his views politically or on some release's cannot be faulted as a person.
Incidentally, although i have heard mixed views about Roger , we have also found him to be a true gent on the times we have met him, very friendly and also very funny and considerate.


I totally agree: I also do not agree with all of his political views (although I love his stance on animal welfare and some of his other beliefs), as a decent soul he cannot be faulted. I always sensed he was a genuine and good man from his interviews and the things I had read about him, but actually meeting him confirmed my opinion and also increased my love and respect for the man.

As for Roger? I am afraid I am one of those who found him to be cold and - in my opinion anyway - quite arrogant. But, saying that, when I look back to that meeting I do now realise that my approach may have had something to do with his behaviour; whereas with Brian I had told him about my love and respect for the band, etc., with roger I just asked for an autograph and offered a pen (I don't know why I did not say anything to him - although I think I was uncomfortable in the situation at the time) - so maybe it was me who came across as cold and arrogant!
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2790
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby TheHero » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Every home should have a game of Monopoly. If there is going to be one of those in my home,
it is definately going to be the Queen game. :cool: That is for sure.
Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby hotspace1966 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 pm

As for Roger? I am afraid I am one of those who found him to be cold and - in my opinion anyway - quite arrogant. But, saying that, when I look back to that meeting I do now realise that my approach may have had something to do with his behaviour; whereas with Brian I had told him about my love and respect for the band, etc., with roger I just asked for an autograph and offered a pen (I don't know why I did not say anything to him - although I think I was uncomfortable in the situation at the time) - so maybe it was me who came across as cold and arrogant!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We met Roger backstage at a Cross concert in Frankfurt and think he was so overwhelmed that we had traveled that far to support him gave us a good start with him. ( Probably thought we were all idiots ...lol ) But i felt he was genuine in his appreciation as were all the band who were very pleasant in giving up their time apart from Clayton Moss who sat in a corner playing the star not speaking to anyone ! A night to remember. Happy days of a bye gone time......
 
hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Queen Monopoly Revealed?

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:44 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:We met Roger backstage at a Cross concert in Frankfurt and think he was so overwhelmed that we had traveled that far to support him gave us a good start with him. ( Probably thought we were all idiots ...lol ) But i felt he was genuine in his appreciation as were all the band who were very pleasant in giving up their time apart from Clayton Moss who sat in a corner playing the star not speaking to anyone ! A night to remember. Happy days of a bye gone time......


I went on that trip with Jackie and the fan club in 1990. I remember a guy at the front of the coach playing a golf game on some small device. Quite a funny character. Basically moaning about how bad The Cross were [this was on the way, before the gig] and how Roger's solo work was getting worse by the album. We watched the Live Aid performance on the coach and I brought a couple of Queen boots [audience recordings] that the driver played. I remember the hotel in Rüdesheim was crawling with fucking midges. There was a good looking blonde chick that went with her parents. She presented Roger with some sort of diary/tribute to him, backstage after the show. Some pissed northern twat was only interested in scrounging Camel cigarettes from Josh. Good gig actually, even if the venue was less than half full. Some German bird went loopy during In Charge Of My Heart intro, ripped her bra off and threw it on stage. Her saggy tits banging against my lugholes whilst she tried to piggy on my back.
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 76 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron