Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaboration.

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby AlexKx » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:19 am

ACTUALLY he WAS the janitor...and no I am not joking...
 
AlexKx
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:14 pm

sebastian wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I would love to have been a fly on the studio wall when Bowie and Freddie were trying to outdo each other during the UP sessions.


Jon Bon Jovi was there, as the studio where they finished it belonged to his cousin or something like that. He was a caretaker at the time, so he was probably unclogging the loo while the fab ones were mixing, but still...


Are you being serious here? I never knew that little fact.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby AlexKx » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Now...run around in your birthday suit and tell everyone all about it! When you've done that come back here and we will tell you what to do next.... ;) :P :lol:
 
AlexKx
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:42 pm

David Bowie was notoriously defensive of his archives. It took a lot of persuading for him to release a few bonus tracks on the Rykodisc reissues in 1990 and comparatively little new has come out since. The man was a perfectionist and if he wasn't happy with it, it wasn't released: I certainly don't see why that should change now, and as much as I'd love to hear streams of tapes of him and Queen working out ideas, if he didn't want it out there, they should respect his wishes. Because I guarantee if he was alive he'd be putting a stop to it.

It's telling that when he was seriously ill, he plotted out the reissue of his entire back catalogue over the next few years (we're only two boxsets in) and there's so little rare or unreleased stuff in those. He might surprise us with a big box of demos at the end, but I doubt it.

Leave it be.

The Milkman wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Hmmm...I suspect there is more than just the Bowie version of Cool Cat (dreadful fucking song). We shall see.

Talking about Bowie, although I love the man and respect what he added to the music world (and was devastated when he passed), I do think he is somewhat over-rated - I find his lyrics average at best and his vocals lacking any real emotion or raw power. Still love the man and acknowledge what he has given the rest of the world but just do not think he is as great as many believe.


I like a lot of his lyrics but for the most part I agree with you.


And I disagree with you entirely. In fact, as time goes by and I get older and (I hope) wiser, I'm finding more and more depth and intelligence to what David Bowie did in his lifetime. I've been a fan for 27 years, a diehard fan for 22, and it's really only in the last decade or so that I've been realising just how important he is to my life.

The man doesn't get enough praise imho. Especially his later works - the stuff between Outside and Reality is mostly brilliant, but pretty much forgotten about.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2374
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
And I disagree with you entirely. In fact, as time goes by and I get older and (I hope) wiser, I'm finding more and more depth and intelligence to what David Bowie did in his lifetime. I've been a fan for 27 years, a diehard fan for 22, and it's really only in the last decade or so that I've been realising just how important he is to my life.

The man doesn't get enough praise imho. Especially his later works - the stuff between Outside and Reality is mostly brilliant, but pretty much forgotten about.


For me, he was vocally overrated. There is no denying his legendary status or his influence on music and musicians, but his voice simply does not move me in any way whatsoever.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby AlexKx » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Sometimes it is NOT the voice! Lol. Altogether now...BOB DYLAN! Lol. Horrible singer but great songs and I would say performer as well. Bowie is amongst the best for me! All the different styles of music (and fashion) blow my mind to smithereens! But not just that he did a great job at them all as well unlike some. Mainly because they were part of projects and not totally sporadic all of the time. So is the version of "Cool Cat" crap because of the quality of the recording or is it that you don't like the song and recording that was released of "Cool Cat" at all? Because I love "Cool Cat"! I really do! :D
 
AlexKx
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 am

AlexKx wrote:Sometimes it is NOT the voice! Lol. Altogether now...BOB DYLAN! Lol. Horrible singer but great songs and I would say performer as well. Bowie is amongst the best for me! All the different styles of music (and fashion) blow my mind to smithereens! But not just that he did a great job at them all as well unlike some. Mainly because they were part of projects and not totally sporadic all of the time. So is the version of "Cool Cat" crap because of the quality of the recording or is it that you don't like the song and recording that was released of "Cool Cat" at all? Because I love "Cool Cat"! I really do! :D


But for me it is about the voice - of course it's not the same for everyone. Dylan is a good example: I cannot fault him as a lyricist, but as a vocalist - and as a performer - he is simply horrendous...bordering on shit.

Bowie was a genius. No argument there. But vocally? Average at best. As for Cool Cat? It is just a crap song, sang in a crap way (definitely the lowest point in Queen's career for me).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby AlexKx » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Well, that's different. You think the song sucks but maybe the unreleased version with Bowie is of quality in terms of production and sound?
 
AlexKx
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby Broooklyn » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 pm

For me, Cool Cat, is one of the highlights of the 'Hot Space' album. I have heard the version with the Bowie backing vocal shit. I am glad that he wanted it scrapped. So, now that I have spoken, and all that I speak is correct, this discussion is over.

Next case....*GAVEL*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image---Image
 
Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

QOL'er in Black

      
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby Sir Didymus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:
And I disagree with you entirely. In fact, as time goes by and I get older and (I hope) wiser, I'm finding more and more depth and intelligence to what David Bowie did in his lifetime. I've been a fan for 27 years, a diehard fan for 22, and it's really only in the last decade or so that I've been realising just how important he is to my life.

The man doesn't get enough praise imho. Especially his later works - the stuff between Outside and Reality is mostly brilliant, but pretty much forgotten about.


For me, he was vocally overrated. There is no denying his legendary status or his influence on music and musicians, but his voice simply does not move me in any way whatsoever.


For you. That's the sincher.

Personal opinion is not fact. I imagine if you named your 30 favourite singers I'd feel the same way about a lot of them as you do about Bowie.

Especially in later life, I think his vocal delivery was phenomenal. His version of Nature Boy for example is my favourite by a country mile...
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2374
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby sebastian » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Ken Scott confirmed, long before David's death, that a lot of his vocals were first takes. Talk about a consummate professional.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 am

sebastian wrote:Ken Scott confirmed, long before David's death, that a lot of his vocals were first takes. Talk about a consummate professional.


If he could nail em, why not? Keeps the result raw, focused and energised.

Let's remember some of the most vital recordings in history were not subject to multiple takes... John Lennon ripping the shit out of Twist and Shout, anyone?
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2374
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby Ian R » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 am

I predicted this back in 2013:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1350143 ... yrics.aspx

It seems that Brian is talking about 'I Don't Want To Be A Rolling Stone', the early version of 'I Go Crazy' that Bowie decided to take in a different direction.
 
Ian R
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby sebastian » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 am

Sir Didymus wrote:If he could nail em, why not?


Exactly. He knew his pieces so well that he could anticipate what they needed and do it without any delay. Again, he was a consummate professional. So deeply missed.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Ahhh. So there IS more to the Queen + Bowie collaborat

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:08 am

Sir Didymus wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
For me, he was vocally overrated. There is no denying his legendary status or his influence on music and musicians, but his voice simply does not move me in any way whatsoever.


For you. That's the sincher.

Personal opinion is not fact. I imagine if you named your 30 favourite singers I'd feel the same way about a lot of them as you do about Bowie.

Especially in later life, I think his vocal delivery was phenomenal. His version of Nature Boy for example is my favourite by a country mile...


Of course it is merely my personal opinion - that's why I stated 'for me'. This is all personal opinion - surely we don't need to remind each other of that, do we?

No doubt you would not agree with some of my favourite vocalists, but I don't give a shit who else likes or dislikes who I like: it is irrelevant. Same with you and your love of Bowie: no one is going to convince you otherwise.

A legend, for sure. A great vocalist? No fucking way. Incredibly dull vocalist with zero feeling...IN MY OPINION.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests