Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen - Innuendo: Back to the Tape

Postby sebastian » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Kes wrote:Loads of anecdotes, which I may or may not remember, over the passage of time.

All the more reason to type them here before they fade out, and to the endless gratitude of loads and loads of fans, myself included.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Fred's vocals were recorded in the control room, with him standing in front of two hifi speakers as monitors. These were slightly out of phase to the regular control room monitors, so they would subtract from them. At this point Freddie really didn't want to use headphones, so there aren't any pure vocal takes, and as those vocals were getting laid on top of the backing tracks, there wasn't particularly any requirement to have "pure" vocal takes anyway. The microphone would be in a stand, and as Freddie liked to grip something in his hands to help him hit the notes, he would have a drumstick there to hold on to, and grip.

Oh, apparently, Freddie liked to hear his vocals "processed", ie with reverb, hence the need for his vocals to be channelled in with the backing track through the monitors. Does that make sense?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:08 pm

sebastian wrote:
Kes wrote:Loads of anecdotes, which I may or may not remember, over the passage of time.

All the more reason to type them here before they fade out, and to the endless gratitude of loads and loads of fans, myself included.

Busy weekend, mate.

Thankfully, I'm fairly attentive, and it's all in there somewhere.

Someone asked a while ago about the keyboard sound on TSMGO, saying that they couldn't get their keyboard to replicate it. Apparently, Brian used a Korg M1 (is it?), and an Oberheim OBX, and the keyboard sound is a "balance" of the two, or that's how I understood what Noel said, anyway. I think they were talking about another track at the time, and went back to TSMGO to clear the point. I think it was TSMGO, they played 14 takes on the multis of Brian doing a two or three note sequence, trying to get it the way he wanted it, and none of those takes were used in the master anyway. When it's stripped down it really is an amazingly busy song guitar wise.

Another point was whether or not Freddie's piano is still at Metropolis. Apparently not. According to Noel, the studio had just received two brand new grand pianos, but as they were new, the dampers were very harsh, and in need of a lot of use to get them to sound good. Queen's studio piano was delivered but was moved back out to the area outside Studio A and not used. Brian and Roger apparently played around on the new piano, but none of that stuff was apparently recorded or used on the album. Noel said where the Queen piano went to, but that information isn't coming to hand at the moment.

Edit: I said the info was "in there". Brian's house, is the correct answer to the question.

Anyway, as I say, just the first half of a busy w/end, so enough for now.

PS: we were all issued with a small bottle of Moët on arrival, with a custom "Freddie" label on the bottle, and a goodie bag on the way out, containing a Stormtrooper In Stillettos" T-shirt and poster, haven't opened it yet, so can't tell you what it's a poster of.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Re: Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Postby adatr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Great event... just home from it

Noël Harris and Justin are two gents

Highlights :

3 and half hours of master tape deep dives
Roger version of innuendo
Brian version show must go on
Roger version TATDOOL

Lots of draw dropping different takes of songs

Audience member asked JSS why won't they release these
Diff takes etc as part of anthology. He replied the general public
Won't buy it.

He is communicating a lot with Brian at the minute so suspect something is going down !!

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 am

As requested by Sebastian, random points while they are still fresh in my head but apologies in advance to anyone else for my rambling!

With microphone set-up with Freddie as described above, Noel said for backing vocals Brian and Roger would stand either side of Freddie and then swap sides for the next layer to give balance. Noel never recalled any of them doing any vocal exercises/warm-up before singing.

Justin said for Slightly Mad, Freddie would've asked Dave Richards to set him up on the keys and then he just played his way into the song with no vocals at that point. There was a crazy version of the song played that ended very psychedelicly (it was said that DR went a bit too much to town with the effects!).

There was a fabulous outtake of Freddie shreiking beautifully the only lyrics 'it's me!'' at the end of a tiny bit of music, but I can't remember which song it was related to. It got the biggest laugh all afternoon.

For Innuendo, there was quite a lot of dialogue played with Brian worried if he didn't get the guitar spot on, he would ruin the whole take because of the way they were recording it. After a bit of tooing and froing with Freddie, Brian joked 'I suppose I could just try and get it right!'. John had also pointed out that something was out of tune.

The alternative pieces of music for TSMGO were just incredible and the highlight of the day for me. Justin had spoken to Brian about the track last week and it was said the middle section of the song came from an unrelated song that Roger and John were working on that they agreed Brian could take and use in TSMGO. I'd always mistakenly thought that R&J were working on the track that became TSMGO but that Brian took it over.

TSMGO guide vocal by Brian was played, including falsetto where he couldn't hit the notes.

When Justin was asked that considering the band are very reticent to release the fabulous stuff we were listening to, did they take any convincing to let this event take place, he said they were all aware it was happening and had their blessing.. however, they weren't actually aware of what exactly would be played... but the fact that it wasn't being recorded was the key point. The compere from Metropolis later asked why relatively little unheard stuff was 'out there' compared to other bands... Justin said it would be difficult to find a commercial format to release little snippets that he was playing, but it was pointed out that Beatles and others have found ways...

In terms of general band info, a lot of stuff we already knew was discussed but in the context of these recordings. Both Noel and Justin confirmed that Freddie was usually the peacemaker in disputes and that Brian and Roger had 'brotherly' type disagreements. However, Justin said he didn't recall many arguments at all in these sessions. When asked whether John appeared to displaying signs at this time that he'd had enough of Queen (for want of a better expression), both Noel and Justin strongly said NO, no signs at all. It was again said that John was a man of few words and this meant that when he DID say something, it was very much listened to.

A great random story by Noel but sorry, I can't remember a crucial bit: Freddie was adamant he wanted to get two words into Delilah - it was something Goose (maybe someone else can remember what the something was?), but the others weren't keen. For fear of saying the wrong thing, Noel initially abstained when asked his opinion if it should go in... but after he returned from fleeing the room to make coffee, Freddie forced him into an answer as his vote would swing it either way. With a nod from Dave Richards to answer Freddie, Noel asked Freddie if he'd ever actually called Delilah the cat 'something Goose'. When Freddie said no, Noel said don't include it in the song then. Freddie replied 'Fuck off, you're fired!'. He apologised later...

They both said Freddie was in good spirits during the sessions, and that although they obviously knew he was seriously ill, they didn't consider that this could be the last album... but Justin speculated that the band would have been thinking about this, especially considering the lyrics to TSMGO.

As there was a section of Roger singing Innuendo with some lyrics that did and didn't make the cut, it was asked if Rog was doing this singing to help out Freddie, but Justin assumed that no, he'd recorded these lyrics to put forward to the band (by memory, most of them were used too). Greg was unable to confirm who mainly wrote the song.

After reminding himself by looking down the track listing, Justin said he didn't think any of the songs on the album originated from John, but Noel interjected straight away that John was in the thick of all of them.

Both Noel and Justin were consistently very quick to pay tribute to the genius of Dave Richards and that it should have been him sitting here talking us through this stuff.

Noel made references to being involved in the MIH sessions but later clarified in the room above the studio (where the shelves are that the band were photographed lying on) that his involvement was all after Freddie died and that new tracks worked on by Freddie had all been done in Montreux. Noel's later role was to go through the archives and make suggestions to Brian, Roger and John as to songs that could be worked on. There always seemed to be a good reason he said as to why they couldn't/wouldn't work on pieces he found. When asked if it was during this process that Let Me Live was identified, he said 'could be'.

I am sure others can elaborate much more coherently on all the above but at least I got it down in writing before forgetting!

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 am

Another quickie: the beauty of the set-up at Metropolis was that Terry could drive Freddie into the covered car park and walk him down straight through the back door and into the studio without going through reception etc. In fact, no one apart from those actually in Studio A would see Freddie at all or even know if he was in there. Considering his health, Noel confirmed this was all very important in the protection process.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:55 am

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Garibaldi_bcn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:00 am

Brian version of "The show must go on"???...
I want to hear it!!... arggg

Garibaldi_bcn
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 am

This is great great stuff! Thanks for putting these out here. I hope you come up with more.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:32 am

They gave us the opportunity to ask for what we would like to hear

I asked for the drum only track from the show must go on at loud volume

The jaws of the room dropped including Justin and Noël when this was played. Then when finished Noël said no click tracknfor roger. Astonishing

In a funny way another request for the bass line from days of our lifes stole the show. So subtle. What musicians they were / are

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 am

The bit about "What a silly goose", was to do with Slightly Mad, and Delilah. Freddie wanted to use it in Delilah, and asked Noel what he thought. Noel said to Freddie, "Have you EVER called your cat a silly goose?" that was the remark that made Freddie give the "You're fired!" retort. Knowing what we know about Freddie, it's a toss up as to whether he was being serious, or just being Freddie winding up the "new boy".

As many will know, the silly goose phrase found it's way into the Mad Mix of Slightly Mad, that surfaced on the Innuendo bonus EP. This mix was basically the final one they played us from that song. I don't think it was identical, but MANY of the ideas on that, were in that version. As Dave said above, it was a case of David Richards seeing how far he could go with the track, and then reining it back in for the master mix.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=84 Threads need merging so we can keep all this great stuff together!

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 am

Innuendo alone was over 90 mins given the complexities and layers that had tonne peeled back.

We had to hand our phones in. No devices in the room. Justin mentioned that's why Brian gave him
Free reign to play what he wanted. nick from QOL
Was recording with one of those fancy journalist digital recorders . Suspect this was a copy for QPL to
Listen to shouldnthey need to.

As I mentioned the tech questions were becoming dominant. Justin was great saying tell me what you
Want to hear and I'll play it for you.

There was one guy in the room who was seb like in his knowledge . Intriguing though is that mid question
To Justin from this guy, the organiser said to Justin " you know who this is ". I'm wondering was he working on some kind of official project.

They played a lot of the conversations in the takes also. Great moment when they had the backing track
Of innuendo nailed and Brian was nervous to do another take in case he made a mistake. Freddie and John said let's do a another !!!!

They played a 8 second guitar motif for TSMGO that brian had done 16 takes for . It never made the final mix.noel used it as an example of what a workaholic brian was.

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

BBC Dj who was the Mc for the event turned around to the organiser during the roger version of TATDOOL ( can't remember this ladies. Name) and was blown away by what he was hearing . He said we should do this for every album. She replied I must ask Justin !!!!

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am

there was a lot of technical questions surrounding plating the drums , microphones used,
Reverb, off shoots, mixing techniques etc.

This is the stuff that would have appealed to you I suspect .

However one of the fans insisted the technical stuff was
Beginning to swallow the discussions at the expense
Of listening to the precious music.

adatr
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On