Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Postby Pingu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 am

This is absolute gold dust, guys and gals. Thanks for reporting back.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am

Kes where were you sitting in the room ?

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby justinshirleysmith » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:44 am

Hello

I just want to clarify one point.

dave4343palace has written above: “Justin said he didn't think any of the songs on the album originated from John”

Did I say that? If I did, it came out wrong and I apologise.

I only saw what happened at Mountain but most of the Innuendo sessions were at Metropolis so how could I know?

What I meant is: I do not remember if any of the songs on the album originated from John.

I think it's highly unlikely that John did not bring song ideas to the sessions as he always did.

Best wishes
Justin

PS Thank you to everybody who came last night. We were amazed people had travelled so far and very gratified by the incredibly positive feedback afterwards. It was an honour to participate in this fundraising event for the Mercury Phoenix Trust and pay tribute to Brian, Freddie, John, Roger and David as I am sure you will all agree.

justinshirleysmith
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 am

I posted this on queenzone and will post here also as I see Justin is online in this forum
Also :

Justin

I attended this event and both yourself and Noël
Were gentlemen and obvious ultimate professionals

Thank you for your time and hope we can do another event on another album !!!

Had to catch a flight home last night so missed
The chance to thank you face to face

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen - Innuendo: Back to the Tape

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:48 am

dave4343palace wrote:As requested by Sebastian, random points while they are still fresh in my head but apologies in advance to anyone else for my rambling!

With microphone set-up with Freddie as described above, Noel said for backing vocals Brian and Roger would stand either side of Freddie and then swap sides for the next layer to give balance. Noel never recalled any of them doing any vocal exercises/warm-up before singing.

Justin said for Slightly Mad, Freddie would've asked Dave Richards to set him up on the keys and then he just played his way into the song with no vocals at that point. There was a crazy version of the song played that ended very psychedelicly (it was said that DR went a bit too much to town with the effects!).

There was a fabulous outtake of Freddie shreiking beautifully the only lyrics 'it's me!'' at the end of a tiny bit of music, but I can't remember which song it was related to. It got the biggest laugh all afternoon.

For Innuendo, there was quite a lot of dialogue played with Brian worried if he didn't get the guitar spot on, he would ruin the whole take because of the way they were recording it. After a bit of tooing and froing with Freddie, Brian joked 'I suppose I could just try and get it right!'. John had also pointed out that something was out of tune.

The alternative pieces of music for TSMGO were just incredible and the highlight of the day for me. Justin had spoken to Brian about the track last week and it was said the middle section of the song came from an unrelated song that Roger and John were working on that they agreed Brian could take and use in TSMGO. I'd always mistakenly thought that R&J were working on the track that became TSMGO but that Brian took it over.

TSMGO guide vocal by Brian was played, including falsetto where he couldn't hit the notes.

When Justin was asked that considering the band are very reticent to release the fabulous stuff we were listening to, did they take any convincing to let this event take place, he said they were all aware it was happening and had their blessing.. however, they weren't actually aware of what exactly would be played... but the fact that it wasn't being recorded was the key point. The compere from Metropolis later asked why relatively little unheard stuff was 'out there' compared to other bands... Justin said it would be difficult to find a commercial format to release little snippets that he was playing, but it was pointed out that Beatles and others have found ways...

In terms of general band info, a lot of stuff we already knew was discussed but in the context of these recordings. Both Noel and Justin confirmed that Freddie was usually the peacemaker in disputes and that Brian and Roger had 'brotherly' type disagreements. However, Justin said he didn't recall many arguments at all in these sessions. When asked whether John appeared to displaying signs at this time that he'd had enough of Queen (for want of a better expression), both Noel and Justin strongly said NO, no signs at all. It was again said that John was a man of few words and this meant that when he DID say something, it was very much listened to.

A great random story by Noel but sorry, I can't remember a crucial bit: Freddie was adamant he wanted to get two words into Delilah - it was something Goose (maybe someone else can remember what the something was?), but the others weren't keen. For fear of saying the wrong thing, Noel initially abstained when asked his opinion if it should go in... but after he returned from fleeing the room to make coffee, Freddie forced him into an answer as his vote would swing it either way. With a nod from Dave Richards to answer Freddie, Noel asked Freddie if he'd ever actually called Delilah the cat 'something Goose'. When Freddie said no, Noel said don't include it in the song then. Freddie replied 'Fuck off, you're fired!'. He apologised later...

They both said Freddie was in good spirits during the sessions, and that although they obviously knew he was seriously ill, they didn't consider that this could be the last album... but Justin speculated that the band would have been thinking about this, especially considering the lyrics to TSMGO.

As there was a section of Roger singing Innuendo with some lyrics that did and didn't make the cut, it was asked if Rog was doing this singing to help out Freddie, but Justin assumed that no, he'd recorded these lyrics to put forward to the band (by memory, most of them were used too). Greg was unable to confirm who mainly wrote the song.

After reminding himself by looking down the track listing, Justin said he didn't think any of the songs on the album originated from John, but Noel interjected straight away that John was in the thick of all of them.

Both Noel and Justin were consistently very quick to pay tribute to the genius of Dave Richards and that it should have been him sitting here talking us through this stuff.

Noel made references to being involved in the MIH sessions but later clarified in the room above the studio (where the shelves are that the band were photographed lying on) that his involvement was all after Freddie died and that new tracks worked on by Freddie had all been done in Montreux. Noel's later role was to go through the archives and make suggestions to Brian, Roger and John as to songs that could be worked on. There always seemed to be a good reason he said as to why they couldn't/wouldn't work on pieces he found. When asked if it was during this process that Let Me Live was identified, he said 'could be'.

I am sure others can elaborate much more coherently on all the above but at least I got it down in writing before forgetting!

Great write-up.

I still cannot believe that QPL have no desire to release any of this sort of stuff because it is not commercial enough. Come on, Queen are a legendary band with a very commercial back catalogue (surely the most commercial back catalogue in musical history, bar The Beatles...and maybe ABBA...), can we not just simply focus on releasing material to show what wonderful musicians they were/are? OK, so it might not sell to the average man in the street, but all true music lovers would be more than happy to hear a band as big as Queen in the recording studio, with all those outtakes, band dialogue and song versions. They don't have to be a Greatest Hits band forever.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 pm

To answer Dave's point, I was back row, to the left of the control room.

Not sure whether I should mention this, but I got the impression that the News Of The World boxset is going to test the water, as to whether the idea of expanded editions of the albums is a feasible way of getting these sorts of tracks out there. Read that how you want, but all these people who want more stuff but don't want to buy boxsets to get it, there's a message there. Basically, if we want this stuff, then "enough people" have to buy it, or they (the band) might resist their investment in the product.

As regards what Justin said about John, the way I read what he said, was that John didn't appear to come in with any preconceived ideas for songs, like Brian came in with a large portion of things that became TSMGO or Headlong, John's involvement was like helping to come up with things like bridges that turned halves of songs into complete ones, mainly "In" the studio.

Once again, special thanks to Justin, Noel, Nick, Emma, the boss at Metropolis, and the radio six DJ (think his name was Matt), you all helped to turn something special into something magical.

PS. Really glad I wasn't the only person from here who went. Our collective input into this thread, is much more wholesome than just one perspective. Thanks to anyone else who went who chips in. :-)

Re: The point about Justin thinking there maybe isn't a market for this stuff. My reply was that "it worked for The Beatles". Justin seemed to infer that in the case of the Queen archive, it's more in bits and pieces than the stuff on The Beatles Anthologies. I'm sure we don't care, as the bits and pieces are as interesting as fully complete alternate versions are. If there isn't enough stuff on a particular track, then as the person next to me said, flesh it out with stems, or versions of the tracks before/minus the overdubs, that's what The Beatles did on their's. The point is, that from "most" fans POV, an Anthologies release is, and has been the most eagerly anticipated product that Queen could possibly release since Made In Heaven.

I for one, will never stop asking about this stuff until it IS out there. To me, it's a product in waiting. Shouldn't be a case of "if" but more like "when". Hopefully, it will be while I'm still alive.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm

I completely agree Kes about the anthologies. If they could put out some of the jamming stuff, I think a lot of us would go for it. Just to hear them messing around and not really being bothered about if it is note perfect would be magnificent.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 pm

justinshirleysmith wrote:Hello

I just want to clarify one point.

dave4343palace has written above: “Justin said he didn't think any of the songs on the album originated from John”

Did I say that? If I did, it came out wrong and I apologise.

I only saw what happened at Mountain but most of the Innuendo sessions were at Metropolis so how could I know?

What I meant is: I do not remember if any of the songs on the album originated from John.

I think it's highly unlikely that John did not bring song ideas to the sessions as he always did.

Best wishes
Justin

PS Thank you to everybody who came last night. We were amazed people had travelled so far and very gratified by the incredibly positive feedback afterwards. It was an honour to participate in this fundraising event for the Mercury Phoenix Trust and pay tribute to Brian, Freddie, John, Roger and David as I am sure you will all agree.

Hi Justin, apologies if I misunderstood the John info, glad it's clarified. Thanks again for a great day and please pass on thanks to Noel too. Really pleased that you were both made well aware of the overwhelmingly positive feedback that was evident from all attendees. See you at the Made in Heaven - Back To The Tapes next year?! ;)

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Just a bit of background we were told about of the studios.

78% of all albums in the UK top 75 last year, were either recorded, mastered or both, at Metropolis. And I think the stats for the last five years is about 50%. A statistic that's amazing considering how the processes had seemed to move away from professional set ups.

Classic albums recorded at Metropolis include both of Amy Winehouse's albums released while she was alive, Listen Without Predujice by George Michael, and a Stone Roses album that the CEO joked still keeps them in beers 25 years after it was recorded. All the revenue they make as a studio is done by getting artists through the door and making a successful product. They don't do T-shirts, postcards or other memorabilia based on their success.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Artists who've extensively used Metropolis include :-

50 Cent, Adele, Akon, Ahlam All Saints, Amr Diab, Amy Winehouse, Ashley Roberts, Avril Lavigne, Babyshambles, Beyoncé, Björk, The Black Eyed Peas, Black Kids, Blue, Bon Jovi, Brian Wilson Bruce Dickinson, Celine Dion, DJ Shadow, Duran Duran, Elton John, Erykah Badu, Estelle, Faithless, Garbage, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, George Michael, Goldie, Green Day, Groove Armada, I Am Kloot, Iron Maiden, James Morrison, Jamiroquai, Jay-Z, Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, John Legend, Justin Timberlake, Katherine Jenkins, Keith Urban, Kelly Rowland, KT Tunstall, Kylie Minogue, Ladyhawke, Lauryn Hill, Led Zeppelin, Lemon Jelly, Lily Allen, Madonna, Mark Ronson, Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger, Mis-Teeq, Moloko, Nas, Nazareth, New Order, Nick Cave, Paolo Nutini, Paul McCartney, Paul Wassif, Paul Weller, Placebo, Pulp, Queen, Richard Ashcroft, Robbie Williams, Roisin Murphy, Scissor Sisters, Scott Walker, Simply Red, Slipknot, Snow Patrol, Starsailor, Stereophonics, Sting, The Clash, The Cure, The Game, The Kills, The Libertines, The Moody Blues, The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, The Verve, The White Stripes, The Who, Timbaland, Tina Dico, Tom Jones, Tricky, U.N.K.L.E, U2, Underworld, Usher, Van Morrison, Vanessa Mae, will.i.am, Yusuf Islam.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Kes is Emma working for QPL ?

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Regarding the anthologies I think the Roger version of TATDOOL sums up the dilemma

As fans yesterday to hear Roger put the genesis of that track down to tape with different
Lyrics, melody and tempo versus the final master was fascinating. Very raw and emotional
To hear as a fan. Imagine if they let JSS and Noël loose to bring to life a hybrid mix of all
The various takes... we heard three different guitar solos yesterday !!!!!!

From a QPL perspective that track is rough and lacks polish and I would suspect Roger would veto
same as it doesnt represent him in the manner he requires. Call that ego, professionalism, perfectionism

On queenzone it's usually a gripe that QPL are greedy etc. I honestly don't think it's purely about
Money . I believe it's more not releasing music that falls below a certain standard.

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Then again, they released 'Hot Space'. A demo of 'Breakthru' with Roger puking all the way through would still be better than that.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm

adatr wrote:Kes is Emma working for QPL ?

Now that one I'm not sure of. MPT or Metropolis, I think. It was her who originally came up with the idea. The boss at Metropolis OK'd it, then that boss changed, and she had to try and renegotiate the whole thing.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 pm

There was another pertinent or telling question on the night.

Somebody asked about the Genesis of All God's People, and it met with glances between Noel and Justin, some eyes rolling towards the ceiling, and a comment of something like "Aaaah. OK, I think we'll move on with the next track".
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On