Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Innuendo. Back to the Tapes

Postby cmsdrums » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 pm

adatr wrote:
Audience member asked JSS why won't they release these
Diff takes etc as part of anthology. He replied the general public
Won't buy it.

And there we have in a nutshell why Queen will forever in the future be known as a ‘greatest hits band’.....their fortunes are already made, yet everything from studio output (or lack of it) to dropping the NOTW tracks from the NOTW anniversary tour ALL still seems to be about what ‘the general public’ might say about not knowing a couple of songs in a 25 track setlist, and whether they can help bump up their bank balance, rather than enhancing their musical legacy and standing.

Enough to make me weep.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm

One of the lighter moments for me was when noel was asked did
Roger storm out of studio when he heard Fred wanted a song about
His cat to go on innuendo. Noel smiles and said where did you hear that?
He said categorically not true.

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Kes wrote:
adatr wrote:Kes is Emma working for QPL ?

Now that one I'm not sure of. MPT or Metropolis, I think. It was her who originally came up with the idea. The boss at Metropolis OK'd it, then that boss changed, and she had to try and renegotiate the whole thing.

Just googled !!! Emma Donoghue mercury phoneix trust .

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 pm

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Kes wrote:Somebody asked about the Genesis of All God's People, and it met with glances between Noel and Justin, some eyes rolling towards the ceiling, and a comment of something like "Aaaah. OK, I think we'll move on with the next track".

They may have not witnessed that one, since it was (either chiefly or entirely) tracked at The Town House long before the 'Innuendo' sessions.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Administrator » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 am

adatr wrote:
Kes wrote:
adatr wrote:Kes is Emma working for QPL ?

Now that one I'm not sure of. MPT or Metropolis, I think. It was her who originally came up with the idea. The boss at Metropolis OK'd it, then that boss changed, and she had to try and renegotiate the whole thing.

Just googled !!! Emma Donoghue mercury phoneix trust .

Just for clarity, Emma works for QPL and works across the board for the band, she also oversees MPT events.

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 am

adatr wrote:Innuendo alone was over 90 mins given the complexities and layers that had tonne peeled back.

We had to hand our phones in. No devices in the room. Justin mentioned that's why Brian gave him
Free reign to play what he wanted. nick from QOL
Was recording with one of those fancy journalist digital recorders . Suspect this was a copy for QPL to
Listen to shouldnthey need to.

Just to be clear, I only recorded the opening interview with Matt and Noel and Justin which was about 30mins long, the recorder was switched off as soon as any music was about to be played. Nothing else was recorded from that point on and rightly so.

It was such a great day, thanks to all who joined us.

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 am

Kes wrote:Not sure whether I should mention this, but I got the impression that the News Of The World boxset is going to test the water, as to whether the idea of expanded editions of the albums is a feasible way of getting these sorts of tracks out there. Read that how you want, but all these people who want more stuff but don't want to buy boxsets to get it, there's a message there. Basically, if we want this stuff, then "enough people" have to buy it, or they (the band) might resist their investment in the product.

Even more of a shame then that the good new stuff on that set has been lumped in with so much that we already have/don't really want just to bump up the price to the point where I've no doubt many people (myself included) simply can't afford/justify the purchase.

If it really is a "testing the waters" exercise, the fact they haven't done at least a couple of editions with different levels of content (you know, like every other f*cking artist with a box set has done this year), to ascertain what people might actually want to buy, is even more confusing/frustrating.

As for the topic at hand, fantastic hearing about all this. Gutted I couldn't go but thanks for sharing what went on!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
Kes wrote:Not sure whether I should mention this, but I got the impression that the News Of The World boxset is going to test the water, as to whether the idea of expanded editions of the albums is a feasible way of getting these sorts of tracks out there. Read that how you want, but all these people who want more stuff but don't want to buy boxsets to get it, there's a message there. Basically, if we want this stuff, then "enough people" have to buy it, or they (the band) might resist their investment in the product.

Even more of a shame then that the good new stuff on that set has been lumped in with so much that we already have/don't really want just to bump up the price to the point where I've no doubt many people (myself included) simply can't afford/justify the purchase.

If it really is a "testing the waters" exercise, the fact they haven't done at least a couple of editions with different levels of content (you know, like every other f*cking artist with a box set has done this year), to ascertain what people might actually want to buy, is even more confusing/frustrating.

As for the topic at hand, fantastic hearing about all this. Gutted I couldn't go but thanks for sharing what went on!

Yep, spot on; if Queen are seriously considering releasing more products like the NOTW one then they should wake the fuck up and start thinking about the real fans and not just lining their bulging pockets. I am sure they will be quite happy releasing box sets of each album - with a cd or two of filler for a hundred pounds a pop: thanks guys! You really know how to look after your fans. :roll:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby hotspace1966 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:35 am

I am fortunate to be in the position of being able to choose if i purchase a deluxe box set if that is possibly the direction they are moving in given some comments on another thread and would be happy to pay box set prices just as long as the content warrant's such a price. This for my own opinion would have to include rare items, outtakes and live shows from the same era. Replicated merchandise and photo books are the added bit of bonus thrown in, no tracks that have been issued on any prior released CD ( other than any re-mastered original album ) should ever find there way again on an issue of this kind.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:I am fortunate to be in the position of being able to choose if i purchase a deluxe box set if that is possibly the direction they are moving in given some comments on another thread and would be happy to pay box set prices just as long as the content warrant's such a price. This for my own opinion would have to include rare items, outtakes and live shows from the same era. Replicated merchandise and photo books are the added bit of bonus thrown in, no tracks that have been issued on any prior released CD ( other than any re-mastered original album ) should ever find there way again on an issue of this kind.

I am in the same position: I can afford such a box set - unlike back in the day when as a younger man I would have to scrimp and save to buy any tat with the word 'Queen' on it; but, for me - and I suspect others who are feeling rightly negative about this release - it is not the price of the thing that is the issue, more the filler included to justify such a price. This is not about a product being under par for me, more about the fact that the money-making side of things has now clearly taken over the music-making side of things. Shame.

For me, it is about respect. Respect works both ways. I have defended this band many, many times...but this move is blatantly greedy and needless: sure release a box set and charge a hundred for it - no problem...just don't add a cd full of stuff we already have in order to make more money out of your dedicated fans...

...yep, my respect is waning for this band of mine. Not that they would care one iota, but it's us - the true fans - who have spent all our money over the years, defended their legacy and remained loyal and passionate - that should matter. And before anyone says 'you shouldn't get so worked up about these things' etc. that is easier said than done when you have spent the majority of your life living, breathing, loving and respecting a band such as this - it is because we care so fucking much that we feel this way.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Jimi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm

sebastian wrote:Then again, they released 'Hot Space'. A demo of 'Breakthru' with Roger puking all the way through would still be better than that.

Nice :lol:

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby adatr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 pm

It's only now my attendance at this event is sinking in

It's all a bit surreal looking back. Hearing for example
Roger and Brian sing the backing track to the chorus of days of our life's was very emotional. It was like they were in the studio as we listened.

It's like hopping into a time machine . 27 years old some of those tracks were.

The key takeaway for me is that when you remove all the layers and production polish
From the tracks you realise what incredible musicians they were/are.

Roger drumming on TSMGO and Brian's guitar work on the same track astonishing !!!!!!

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm

adatr wrote:Hearing for example Roger and Brian sing the backing track to the chorus of days of our life's was very emotional.

Did that make it to the final cut?
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby adatr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 pm

I think so Seb

I listened to the album
Cut last nite and I think it's there alright. Others at the event might confirm. The track was labelled "BVs Roger and brian"

I always thought it was just Freddie like I always assumed the coda of under pressure was just Bowie whereas it's a duet of roger and Bowie.

adatr
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On