NOTW anniversary release teased by Abbey Road engineer...

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

NOTW anniversary release teased by Abbey Road engineer...

Postby GalileoFigaro » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Don't know what to make of this post by Sean Magee on Twitter today: https://twitter.com/iiirdsworld/status/ ... 3406344192

"[photo of box containing presumably the original Sarm tapes] Don't get to play with things like this that often. Mike Stone was a genius engineer"

He mentions that it's "not a remaster", but could that mean they're doing a remix à la Sgt. Pepper? Maybe a boxset containing the full Houston '77 gig and "Silver Salmon" outtakes? Or even a deluxe edition with replica tickets, reprinted tour ads and a plaster mold of the robot's penis?
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Re: NOTW anniversary release teased by Abbey Road engineer..

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:19 am

That would be awesome. I honestly didn't think much of it until he someone questioned him and he got cagey...just saying "Not remaster , I won't say more"

Then that makes me think...well I guess there is something more to not say anything about.....

I'd love to see a deluxe NOTW...hopefully with some substance. The Bob Harris Documentary finished? Houston 77? Not going to get too excited...but I admit, I'd like to hear more :)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby GalileoFigaro » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 am

soxtalon wrote:I'd love to see a deluxe NOTW...hopefully with some substance. The Bob Harris Documentary finished? Houston 77? Not going to get too excited...but I admit, I'd like to hear more :)

If any or all of this is true, it would easily be the best release since Rainbow three years ago. :D
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:06 am

GalileoFigaro wrote:
soxtalon wrote:I'd love to see a deluxe NOTW...hopefully with some substance. The Bob Harris Documentary finished? Houston 77? Not going to get too excited...but I admit, I'd like to hear more :)

If any or all of this is true, it would easily be the best release since Rainbow three years ago. :D

Agreed with you both. Please powers that be make it happen! :D
Surely the Q+AL tour isn't the only thing to mark 40 years since NOTW, is it? I hope not.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby AlexKx » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:16 am

I've been thinking something like this might be the case or in the works...no pun intended! :P

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby adatr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

When Brian spoke at the hay festival he came in stage wearing a NOTW t shirt and commented that we would be hearing a lot more about this album in due course

adatr
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 am

Really curious about this..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:17 am

GalileoFigaro wrote:Don't know what to make of this post by Sean Magee on Twitter today: https://twitter.com/iiirdsworld/status/ ... 3406344192

"[photo of box containing presumably the original Sarm tapes] Don't get to play with things like this that often. Mike Stone was a genius engineer"

He mentions that it's "not a remaster", but could that mean they're doing a remix à la Sgt. Pepper? Maybe a boxset containing the full Houston '77 gig and "Silver Salmon" outtakes? Or even a deluxe edition with replica tickets, reprinted tour ads and a plaster mold of the robot's penis?

This has me salivating just a little. There is definitely something in the pipeline, but let's just hope it is a worthy release.

I am putting my money on a small but lavish NOTW box set: we all know the Bob Harris stuff is in the vaults; add that with a re-release of the album and some live material and this could be quite something. Oh, and Frank is going to be in there somewhere, I guarantee it - they are pushing the album iconography hard during this tour (Brian even naming the robot); it wouldn't surprise me if we get some mini Frank replicas.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby WeeMann » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 am

GalileoFigaro wrote:... but could that mean they're doing a remix à la Sgt. Pepper?

Doubtful, as he also confirms the tapes are the stereo mix.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby BitterTears » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 am

Not that I'm complaining but how come the 40th anniversary of NotW seems to be getting so much traction? We've got Frank at the concerts, songs from the album being performed for the first time in decades and what sounds like some kind of anniversary re-issue of the album (an anthology-esque boxset, please!)

But every other anniversary of every other album has always been pretty much ignored (ANATO's 30th anniversary being the only exception, I think)

I wonder, do Brian and Roger see NotW as a much more important release in Queen's history than we might think?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 am

BitterTears wrote:Not that I'm complaining but how come the 40th anniversary of NotW seems to be getting so much traction? We've got Frank at the concerts, songs from the album being performed for the first time in decades and what sounds like some kind of anniversary re-issue of the album (an anthology-esque boxset, please!)

But every other anniversary of every other album has always been pretty much ignored (ANATO's 30th anniversary being the only exception, I think)

I wonder, do Brian and Roger see NotW as a much more important release in Queen's history than we might think?

Exactly. What gives me pause for thought is that suddenly the songs are being performed live for the first time in ages. I hope that means there is more to come, maybe a deluxe edition...I don't know.
Then again we know WWRY is Brian's baby so to speak, and I couldn't imagine a Queen concert without it almost. There has and I dare hope for more regrading NOTW than just some songs from it being played live for the first time in ages. I'd be happy with a deluxe edition if that's possible, maybe a Queen concert from '77 as well? Dare I hope :mrgreen:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:31 pm

It makes sense for NOTW to be focused on as a Deluxe Anniversary Edition, It's their biggest selling studio album in America (The Game is very close) and their 3rd biggest selling worldwide studio album after ANATO and Made in Heaven. Queen, Queen II, SHA and ADATR were all modest hits in comparison, add to this that this era has a wealth of possible bonus material and we could have THE best archive Queen release so far, this really is a chance to exceed all previous releases including 'The Rainbow' box set.

So what could be included in a deluxe edition? I for one don't get excited about reproduction memorabilia in box sets but I think stuff like Tour Programmes, Scarves and a Frank figurine will be included. As far as audio and video content goes this really is the stuff of dreams!

Bob Harris Documentary (2hrs of unseen footage re-editted by Rhys Thomas and BOB)
A Brand New 'Classic Albums' feature along the same lines as the ANATO release
Live in Houston (11-12-1977 at The Summit)
Live at Earls Court (Both Nights)

This really is a chance for Queen Productions Ltd to score a major goal with the fans, please, PLEASE do not waste this massive opportunity to release a truly exceptional retrospective on this Classic Album.

Forgot to add NOTW also gave us TWO of the most popular and recognisable songs of all time in We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions! :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby GalileoFigaro » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:24 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:Bob Harris Documentary (2hrs of unseen footage re-editted by Rhys Thomas and BOB)

This really is a chance for Queen Productions Ltd to score a major goal with the fans, please, PLEASE do not waste this massive opportunity to release a truly exceptional retrospective on this Classic Album.

Agree 100% that most of this could be done and that QPL would score major points from us, but I doubt Earls Court would make it into this box set, as that was from the end of the ADATR tour! :lol:

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 pm

GalileoFigaro wrote:
slightlymad1970 wrote:Bob Harris Documentary (2hrs of unseen footage re-editted by Rhys Thomas and BOB)

Agree 100% that most of this could be done and that QPL would score major points from us, but I doubt Earls Court would make it into this box set, as that was from the end of the ADATR tour! :lol:

Oops :-D I was just trying to put everything we want from 1977 into one release, perhaps we should save Earls Court for a stand alone release then 8-)

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby GalileoFigaro » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:
GalileoFigaro wrote:

Oops :-D I was just trying to put everything we want from 1977 into one release, perhaps we should save Earls Court for a stand alone release then 8-)

QPL, if you're reading this, we wouldn't mind an all-out "Queen in 1977" box set release. :biggrin:

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On