The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby Oret » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm

kurgan wrote:Yes, I received an email to say they were sending me a replacement this week.
I received it by 1st class post the next day.

I didn't receive any message from them, but the replacement was sent within a few days.

Oret
Spread Your Wings

Postby KNIGHT » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 pm

A good promotion for this set:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/deal/ ... e-edition/

I bought one for me...... ;-)

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 pm

As difficult as it was, I specifically saved the Raw Sessions CD to listen to for the first time today, undisturbed and as loud as I wanted on a planned 10 hour drive on my own from Paris to Barcelona.

Wow, just wow... If ever I needed reminding of why I love Queen so much, and just how bloody talented they were.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 pm

dave4343palace wrote:As difficult as it was, I specifically saved the Raw Sessions CD to listen to for the first time today, undisturbed and as loud as I wanted on a planned 10 hour drive on my own from Paris to Barcelona.

Wow, just wow... If ever I needed reminding of why I love Queen so much, and just how bloody talented they were.

That's some patience you have there! Yes, I love that cd too. I've listened to it countless times. I can't leave it alone. Freddie was amazing. The way he could improvise and use his voice. So talented. I often shake my head as I think how did he do that? Of course they were (are) all very talented, but it's Freddie that I, and always will, admire the most, and for so many reasons.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 pm

DANAIR737 wrote:
dave4343palace wrote:As difficult as it was, I specifically saved the Raw Sessions CD to listen to for the first time today, undisturbed and as loud as I wanted on a planned 10 hour drive on my own from Paris to Barcelona.

That's some patience you have there! Yes, I love that cd too. I've listened to it countless times. I can't leave it alone. Freddie was amazing. The way he could improvise and use his voice. So talented. I often shake my head as I think how did he do that? Of course they were (are) all very talented, but it's Freddie that I, and always will, admire the most, and for so many reasons.

Absolutely, I just love the Raw CD, especially Its Late and Spread Your Wings (I had already fallen in love with the hybrid All Dead version online). I think I might even prefer Get Down Make Love to the finished original...

Agree with every word you wrote about Freddie, but the musicianship on show from all the band is just bloody brilliant. As well as the individual talent, these sessions really give us a glimpse of the band's chemistry as well.

Just imagine if the bonus discs on 40th anniversary CDs had all been in the concept of the NOTW Raw disc... maybe the 50th anniversary reissues. One can dream! ;)

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I like the Raw CD, but I also love the overall design of the boxset; black with red/green fonts and classic Queen logo. I am one of those that think the artwork is almost as important as the content. It follows in the tradition of great designs lately, like the "faithful to the 70s look" Rainbow boxset and the classy looking Studio Collection LP box. Queen On Air was great too, with the reel-to-reel tapes on the inside, and on the CDs.

Some people are missing the Houston concert, and there have been disagreements about the cost. But even so, I can't give them credit enough for doing a fantastic job with the artwork, the vinyl and the awesome posters! The press kit, and the high quality, glossy black/white press photos are stunning. I am very satisfied, and proud to have this box in my Queen collection, and I thank you all! :-)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am

I'd be considerably more satisfied if they hadn't so obviously f*cked up the newspaper print out and then completely ignored my numerous requests for a corrected replacement.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dave76 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm

There have been a lot of talk on this boxset. Gary Taylor who previously worked for the band reviewed the set on the Queen Collecting YT page and he noticed some errors in the set, especially the book with the wrong tourdates, double pictures of Roger and pictures from the Jazz tour instead NOTW. And there's this poster announcing Queen at the Forum in Houston. Why put that in there if you decide not to include the show on blu-ray? Yes, there are some good things. Everybody loves the Raw Sessions, myself included. The American Dream documentary is also good although too short. I know and i have seen proof that there is soo much more Harris footage being shot that they could use.
Long extended interviews with John who tells us one of his favourite bands is Fleetwood Mac or Brian who talks to Bob about the sound and the stage concept. At the Q&A in Montreux somebody asked about this and the answer was that there wasn't much left on the cutting room floor. That's bull.
Coming to the boxset, forget the extra tracks discs, although the We Will Rock You instrumental is great hahaha.
One track on that disc which i like is the US single version for It's Late.
The box looks nice and glossy and eh, if you look behind the paper on the back you see some nice artwork there.
For now i will save my money to the already started Vinyl Collection boxset from Italy which will include 25 vinyl albums including Rainbow, On Air, Montreal, The Bowl, Wembley, Live Killers and the 3 Greatest Hits albums as well.

dave76
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm

dave76 wrote:The box looks nice and glossy and eh, if you look behind the paper on the back you see some nice artwork there.

Wow! Thanks for that one. The artwork behind the paper was a big surprise! :-) Looks nice indeed!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby KNIGHT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:30 pm

TheHero wrote:
dave76 wrote:The box looks nice and glossy and eh, if you look behind the paper on the back you see some nice artwork there.

Wow! Thanks for that one. The artwork behind the paper was a big surprise! :-) Looks nice indeed!

Here it is:

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm

A nice little easter egg, I never realised that was there.

I wonder if there's similar artwork on the other box sets?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby DANAIR737 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Oh yeah. Thanks for that x 2. That's pretty sweet.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby KNIGHT » Fri May 11, 2018 12:38 pm

KNIGHT wrote:A good promotion for this set:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/deal/ ... e-edition/

I bought one for me...... ;-)

This is the main reason why I never buy the box sets when they are released. Nowdays we can buy it by half the original price:

https://www.amazon.es/News-World-Anniversario-Súper-Deluxe/dp/B0758ZN38H/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1526041848&sr=8-16&keywords=QUEEN

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Well I finally got around to buying this set.
As has been said the price was too high. I managed to pick it up for £77
I have to be honest. I still think that's too much . The content is less than I expected. The book , although there is some half decent shots there is a lot of filler. Maybe i've been around too long and have seen too much but there should have been more.
Feelings is great and the raw disc is epic.
Other than that i'm struggling to see the point of a lot of it.
Nicely packaged yes but thats a basic requirement.
The dvd was shown on the BBC before release I think which I found a bizarre decision
The other cuts are mostly rehashes from other releases.
I have 4 vinyl different copies now..... my 1977 original is still the benchmark

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:14 am

Well colour me shocked, I finally received my replacement newspaper in the post the other day. A big surprise because I'd emailed them four or five times and never got any response, so I'd pretty much given up hope of ever receiving a corrected copy.

On the subject of big album box sets - Guns n' Roses are doing an Appetite for Destruction set (actually several), due out at the end of the month. Much like Queen, the physical sets are overpriced (disgracefully so in Gn'R's case) and padded out with a ton of completely pointless tat...

But they're making all of the new and unreleased music available separately for digital download at a very reasonable price. So Queen still firmly at the back of the box set train when it comes to offering value for money.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On