The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby tote_alkor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm

I hope Houston concert will come with this special release. It is complete and is one of the best Queen gigs, in my humble opinion! :)
Keep your chin up when you're feelin' lonely, don't let them get you down...

tote_alkor
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 am

dearmrmurdoch wrote:no way this will open up the archives. i'm guessing no new audio content and a dvd of live footage and a documentary. they may give us one new recording, which will put on some vinyl 12" single in a rip off boxset. i have no doubt they could easily fill up an 80 minute cd with amazing outtakes and alt mixes, but i simply don't see it happening. and why would that happen with a seemingly random album anniversary?

I Agree that long-awaited box-set with previously unreleased materials could be open but this is QPL and Universal.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:53 am

tote_alkor wrote:I hope Houston concert will come with this special release. It is complete and is one of the best Queen gigs, in my humble opinion! :)

On this concert Freddie was crowned if I am not mistaken.No, no, I do not mean that he went out in Royal robes and crown.
Last edited by WiseMan on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenFan19 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:44 am

I think the release could have the potential into being similar to The Beatles anniversary of Sgt Peppers this year:
Disc 1 - New Stereo Mix Of Original Album CD
Disc 2 - Outtakes + Early Takes + Demos CD
Disc 3 - Outtakes + Early Takes + Demos CD
Disc 4 - Mono Mix (with Bonus Tracks?) CD
Disc 5 - Houston 1977 + Bob Harris Documentary "Champions" + Promo Videos DVD
Disc 6 - Houston 1977 + Bob Harris Documentary "Champions" + Promo Videos Blu-ray

As much as I would like Earls Court in this release, it seems doubtful for the obvious reason that it was part of the A Day At The Races tour not the News Of The World tour. But we might hear some gems that we have never heard before or even knew they existed if they were to do a release like this. I think if they were to do a Stereo Mix of the album which seems plausible because an engineer who works at Abbey Road Studios took a photo of Mike Stone's notes on technical information on the master mixes (I don't know how to describe it! LOL!) it would be amazing!!
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am

QueenFan19 wrote:I think the release could have the potential into being similar to The Beatles anniversary of Sgt Peppers this year:
Disc 1 - New Stereo Mix Of Original Album CD
Disc 2 - Outtakes + Early Takes + Demos CD
Disc 3 - Outtakes + Early Takes + Demos CD
Disc 4 - Mono Mix (with Bonus Tracks?) CD
Disc 5 - Houston 1977 + Bob Harris Documentary "Champions" + Promo Videos DVD
Disc 6 - Houston 1977 + Bob Harris Documentary "Champions" + Promo Videos Blu-ray

As much as I would like Earls Court in this release, it seems doubtful for the obvious reason that it was part of the A Day At The Races tour not the News Of The World tour. But we might hear some gems that we have never heard before or even knew they existed if they were to do a release like this. I think if they were to do a Stereo Mix of the album which seems plausible because an engineer who works at Abbey Road Studios took a photo of Mike Stone's notes on technical information on the master mixes (I don't know how to describe it! LOL!) it would be amazing!!

6 CD's I doubt really. Knowing QPL all we can get it's Second CD with extra live tracks. But your idea is cool I say this in all seriousness The only thing you need to remove one CD need repeats.

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 am

Earl's Court concert was part of ADATR tour 1977, while the Houston concert was part of the NOTW tour 1977.

So since this year marks the anniversary of the NOTW album, it would be logical to assume they put out Houston. There was also a problem with the microphone on the Earl's Court show.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dearmrmurdoch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 am

TheHero wrote:There was also a problem with the microphone on the Earl's Court show.

no, the rumour or myth is that there is a problem on the multitrack where freddie's vocal mic at the piano didn't record properly. that's a rumour that has come from the monitor/rough mix that is present on the bootlegged version and it been given legs when qpl sources have alluded to that as an excuse not to release it. but ya know, they have an excuse to not release everything.

lets forget that there were 2 nights, that they were professionally recording them and a such there would have been a recording engineer overseeing the recording of each night. i think they'd have noticed there was no signal from that microphone to the tape recorder quite early on - and most definitely have corrected it for the second night.

dearmrmurdoch
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 pm

According to queenconcerts the complete video recording of the 2nd night exists in the archives.

Does that mean no bootlegs of the 2nd night has ever been out, only the first night ? If that is the case, there is more unseen material here than with the Houston concert?

http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/liv ... on-uk.html

A release of Earl's Court would be a nice support for the forthcoming 2017 UK tour.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 pm

I find it funny people still genuinely believe there might be a treasure trove of new unreleased stuff "from the vaults" on this.

If we get anything extra, maybe some live material. Otherwise I won't be holding my breath, which is pretty sad.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Hangman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:09 pm

An expanded edition doesn't really interest me unless it includes the full Houston 77 concert, if it includes that then I'm in.

To be honest I don't know why they can't just release Houston 77 as a standalone SD Blu-Ray? I just hope that one way or another we get it, and by that I mean the whole concert, not an edited version picking out NOTW tracks or hits. I want songs like White Man live released on SD Blu-Ray and all of the others too. Please do justice to this amazing concert!

The worst thing that could happen is that nothing gets released off it, or equally as bad just the NOTW tracks get released off it in audio only.
Best Queen song = Brighton Rock

Read my book Soulless Voodoo Guy

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby sbrown » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:57 pm

As unlikely as it is, I'd be very hopeful that Brian and Roger took a vocal comp of the best takes of Feelings, Feelings and finished the track and released it as the single.
Consolation prize is a live version of It's Late.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:07 am

If they and Universal want to sell a decent amount they will need to make it worthwhile like, say, the Prince Purple Rain Deluxe. Disc 1: Original album. Disc 2: Unreleased Outtakes Disc 3: Extended Versions & Single Edits Disc 4: DVD Full Concert. Or the recent Beatles Sgt Pepper Anniversary. THESE are deluxe editions. The 2011 Queen Deluxe Editions are an insult. Being they probably don't have any outtakes then release one of the 1977 shows.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AlexKx » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:41 am

The Deluxe Edition you speak of concerning Prince's "Purple Rain" is in digi-packaging the worst ever. Certainly not a box set. THOUGH if this is limited edition as I would imagine with an anniversary release it probably should be like everyone else and taken that route. With THAT said before hand I was thinking this might end up in a box like Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and Elton John's "Good-bye Yellow Brick Road"...

...oh, and by the way. (Not Red Hot Chili Peppers...:)) What exactly constitutes as an "outtake"? I though they would have been parts of songs not used, no? Because it appears it is used as the term for "previously unreleased songs" or even demos of unfinished songs...anyone?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Hangman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I don't think NOTW is one of Queens strongest albums really, it's good, but not of of my favorites. If there are some more unreleased tracks I'll wonder why they weren't on the original release. It needed more of the heavier stuff in my view, like Feelings Feelings.
Best Queen song = Brighton Rock

Read my book Soulless Voodoo Guy

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby Soul Brother » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:58 am

It'll be shit.
Each morning I get up and die a little....
Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
I feel like no one ever told the truth to me.
About growing up and what a struggle it would be....

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On