The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby Tenement Funster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm

BitterTears wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:Like JLP I am resisting saying more so as to not spoil the surprise.

When you say 'the surprise', are you just meaning the whole set or is there a specific surprise you are referring to that's going to blow us all away?

Sorry - no specific surprise. Just don’t want to mention what’s different on the raw sessions tracks or how they sound so that people can get the pleasure of listening to them themselves.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:58 pm

phpBB [video]

I wasn't expecting this from this young boy. But he sure knows his stuff. This is actually the best review I have seen in a long time. Worth checking out.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dave76 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 am

These raw sessions tracks are stunning and i love the little surprises here and there. They even went with an interesting inner sleeve for the vinyl record. All in all this boxset is not that bad after all. The inclusion of a full '77 show would have made it complete. Inglewood december 22nd 1977 anyone?

dave76
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 am

dave76 wrote: They even went with an interesting inner sleeve for the vinyl record.

That inner sleeve for the vinyl was a very pleasant surprise! :-D A truly unique LP this one.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby QueenVault » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 am

Nice inner sleeve!
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated November 5, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigospedros » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:50 am

So, having watched and enjoyed the documentary on BBC, is there any point in me getting the DVD out of the boxed set?

I've only had chance to listen to the Raw Sessions once so far, but I liked what I heard :D The book is lovely and the vinyl is also very nice. Glad I also bought the picture disc too, that is sumptuous.

Still a bit miffed that 1/4 of the raw tracks were made available prior to release (I chose not to listen) and if the documentary is the same as on tv then that's yet more exclusive content I could've got for free. Don't get me wrong, I love getting stuff like this and I'd love to see more, but if I'm gonna shell out £100 for it, I'd rather know that I was getting a unqiuely available product for my investment!
THE FEEDER ANORAK - The Complete Feeder Discography - Last Updated 22nd October 2017

bigospedros
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am

QueenVault wrote:Image

Nice inner sleeve!

Awesome :inlove:

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am

A couple of clips from The American Dream documentary can be viewed here:
http://notw40.queenonline.com

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:01 am

bigospedros wrote:
Still a bit miffed that 1/4 of the raw tracks were made available prior to release (I chose not to listen) and if the documentary is the same as on tv then that's yet more exclusive content I could've got for free. Don't get me wrong, I love getting stuff like this and I'd love to see more, but if I'm gonna shell out £100 for it, I'd rather know that I was getting a unqiuely available product for my investment!

You know, the fact is that both the DVD and the RAW sessions would have found their way out on the illegal market no matter what!! It is just how the World of internet has become, and it is nearly impossible to stop it! Youtube for instance, contains the complete queen catalogue, + rarities and live clips that even isn't official ones. You also find their solo careers etc. +++ So if you go for the argument that something has to be unique, this is what you have to face. That is why I am saying: Buy PHYSICAL products (because they are really unique in their form of a physical product. A product that is only yours, not in a cloud, or on someone else's server somewhere). And as time goes by, the value of these products will only rise, while the digital releases will be worth nothing.

So these previews and free official releases is a way of making the illegal ones less attractive. It is a two sided sword I know, but if they didn't, you bet your bottom dollar bill, there would be a whole lot more illegal ones out there, and people would look all over the net to find them.

Then you have other artists on youtube, that has a policy where they remove all the artist's videos/songs on youtube that isn't put out by the official channel. I thank Queen for not doing this, because some of the fan-made videos are actually good. I also think there is not only negative things with sites as youtube, because the more people that watch Queen videos, the more likely Queen will get new generations of fans, that eventually buy some physical products as well, or listen to them on Spotify, iTunes etc. So it is a sort of a lose-win situation.

Everyone is losing something of the uniqueness because of the internet. In the old days, early 90s and backwards, products were exclusive and official. But then again, it was a long wait before something happened, and there was no way of staying updated, apart from being a fan-club member or going in and out of the record store weekly to look for something new (almost forgot I did that :shock: ). And you would not even receive e-mail updates, because we did not have e-mail then. Most of us did not even have cell phones, so forget SMS too.

It is a bit of give and take for all of us to be surrounded by this internet. By the way, if it wasn't for it, we would not be on this forum and discuss Queen's latest release! :lol:
Last edited by TheHero on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigospedros » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:15 am

I'm not stupid enough to not understand that stuff will get leaked online or broadcast on tv, I'd just rather it happened AFTER the official release. Singles are a thing of the past, so I get that they promote by digitally releasing tracks ahead of release, but I'm not sure they had to release 3 of the 12 tracks, did they?
THE FEEDER ANORAK - The Complete Feeder Discography - Last Updated 22nd October 2017

bigospedros
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 am

bigospedros wrote:I'm not stupid enough to not understand that stuff will get leaked online or broadcast on tv, I'd just rather it happened AFTER the official release. Singles are a thing of the past, so I get that they promote by digitally releasing tracks ahead of release, but I'm not sure they had to release 3 of the 12 tracks, did they?

They have to do it early, because if they waited after the release, you bet there would be "someone" gaining on leaking the album,bit by bit, before the official product was out there. Now that the official ones are early, it is not that "attractive" to leak them either. It is both a psychological game and a marketing thing. There is also the promotional benefit.

I don't care if they did 3 or 5... the digital tracks would be out for free somewhere anyway. I can understand it if you only downloaded the digital music, but as long as you have the physical product, you basically have something unique.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigospedros » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:41 am

could someone answer the key question ... is the DVD different to the tv broadcast (excluding the Q+AL stuff) or not?

bigospedros
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

Tenement Funster wrote:In other news (if we can actually keep this on topic and stop the irrational hatred) - this set it absolutely wonderful.

I still fail to see how anyone can label this set "wonderful" when you compare it to what everyone else is offering.

Especially given that you immediately go on to list four things that quite obviously should've been included (and have been in virtually every other artist's set) but weren't here.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:05 pm

dave76 wrote:They even went with an interesting inner sleeve for the vinyl record.

I hadn't unwrapped that, so that was a nice surprise when I saw your post!
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby dave76 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Without spoiling i've just finishing watching the DVD and what i can say is like 90% is from the BBC TV version but there are some other new or extended bits as well. The ending is a real nice surprise and oh, check out the menu which is a nice touch.

dave76
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On