The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby Ian R » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Kes wrote:Is it me? :shock:

That just sounds like the album version recorded in a public toilet.

Pretty certain someone has just dicked around with filters in an off the shelf audio software programme, and added some weird arse echoes to make it feel like an alternate version...

Nope: it was posted on YouTube by someone who got it from a reel-to-reel tape. It's legit; the final mix was sped up a semitone:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1425723/sheer-heart-attack-demo-august-1977.aspx

The original upload:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Ian R
Spread Your Wings

Postby stagnation » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 pm

TheHero wrote:
sacko wrote:sleeping on the sidewalk live shows, once again, what a shit singer brian is and how much freddie dominates. including brian's screeching vocals for a whopping two songs, really hurt the overall quality of the album. selfish prick he is.

Brian doing lead vocal on a "whopping total of 10 songs" (mostly written by Brian) of a song list of around 170 songs. I wouldn't call that selfish. :roll:

Songs sung by Brian, have I forgot any ? :

Some Day One Day
She Makes Me
'39
Good Company
Long Away
All Dead, All Dead
Sleeping On The Sidewalk
Leaving Home Ain't Easy
Sail Away Sweet Sister
No-One But You

One... lost opportunity (headlong b-side)

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:41 am

Ian R wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:
Kes wrote:Is it me? :shock:

That just sounds like the album version recorded in a public toilet.

Pretty certain someone has just dicked around with filters in an off the shelf audio software programme, and added some weird arse echoes to make it feel like an alternate version...

Nope: it was posted on YouTube by someone who got it from a reel-to-reel tape. It's legit; the final mix was sped up a semitone:

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1425723/sheer-heart-attack-demo-august-1977.aspx

The original upload:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Interesting, thank you. Though I'd prefer some genuine evidence over another forum discussing if it's fake or not. :)

Listening closely it does sound in places that Freddie's delivery is slightly different on a couple of words here and there... but it could still just be that someone's slowed it down, and got access to the multitracks to make a clever fake....
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Ironically, after how vocal I've been about the ridiculous pricing of this set, my parents actually bought me it for Christmas. Lol.

Not listened to anything or even looked at it in any great detail so far, but it's quite a nice set. Blindingly obvious that it could've cost around half as much, but still. Ignoring the price, it's OK. The bonus tat is totally superfluous but at least nice to look at. I'm sure the Raw Sessions disc will be an interesting listen. The third disc is still a complete and utter piss-take though. The only thing of any interest whatsoever on there is the US single mix of "It's Late". Everything else is either already on my shelf or is execrable filler. The fact they have the fucking gall to call this stuff "recently unearthed out-takes and rarities from the band's archives" on the back of the box when most of it has been widely available for years just adds insult to injury.

And yeah, my newspaper has the misprint with the missing bios. Good job, QPL, good job. Nothing like making sure people get value for their hundred quid. I saw it mentioned on here that it's possible to get a corrected replacement for this; I thought it was in this thread, but I haven't been able to find it. If someone point me in the direction of that info, I'd be very appreciative.

EDIT: Actually I found the replacement link, it was earlier in this thread than I realised. However, it's now dead. If this means I can't get a corrected copy because I got it for Christmas instead of on day one, QPL really can go fuck themselves... Is there no way to get the newspaper replaced now?
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
EDIT: Actually I found the replacement link, it was earlier in this thread than I realised. However, it's now dead. If this means I can't get a corrected copy because I got it for Christmas instead of on day one, QPL really can go fuck themselves... Is there no way to get the newspaper replaced now?

http://www.queenonline.com/news/updated ... -newspaper

https://claim.notw40.com/

:)
Last edited by fairydandy on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby BitterTears » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 pm

They reposted a link about it on Facebook only a couple days ago so I'm sure you can still get your replacement. IIRC the original thing said we had until May next year to claim our replacements.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Yeah, I managed to track the application page down on my own in the interim, but thanks for responding regardless, fairydandy. Sent my info off.

Heard nothing back, so apparently I just need to hope they got it.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Oret » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 am

You buy a £100 release from the official store, and still have to send them proof of purchase and photos of their own fuck-up to get a corrected version of a 50p print.
If this was any other band than Queen, I would be surprised at the low level of customer service. :?

Oret
Spread Your Wings

Postby kurgan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 am

My version also has the missing print in the newspaper.
As it was a gift I have no proof of purchase either.
No replies to the emails I sent explaining this.

kurgan
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:38 am

kurgan wrote:My version also has the missing print in the newspaper.

It's Christmas, the place might just be closed for a few days.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Oret wrote:You buy a £100 release from the official store, and still have to send them proof of purchase and photos of their own fuck-up to get a corrected version of a 50p print.
If this was any other band than Queen, I would be surprised at the low level of customer service. :?

I agree. It's absolutely disgraceful. The Queen store probably treats people as fans, when they need to treat them as consumers. Why on earth would anyone email the store to get a print of that nonsense if they hadn't purchased the box set?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby TheHero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Oret wrote:You buy a £100 release from the official store, and still have to send them proof of purchase and photos of their own fuck-up to get a corrected version of a 50p print.

I agree. It's absolutely disgraceful. The Queen store probably treats people as fans, when they need to treat them as consumers. Why on earth would anyone email the store to get a print of that nonsense if they hadn't purchased the box set?

You bet a lot of people would for sure see this as an opportunity to get a free poster to put on the wall if there wasn't any control.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 pm

But the problem isn't with the posters. It's with a bit of obvious reproduction newspaper tat.

Why the hell would anyone care about hanging one of those on their wall? It's not like it's especially aesthetically pleasing. Do you typically hang up faux newspaper clippings about bands to decorate your room?

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 am

JLP wrote:
kurgan wrote:My version also has the missing print in the newspaper.

It's Christmas, the place might just be closed for a few days.

I emailed them with a question regarding my copy the day they announced the misprint and got no reply. Also, when I received my damaged Absolute Greatest deluxe box it took numerous emails and 2 months to get sorted. It's Christmas all year for them I'm afraid...

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby DANAIR737 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 am

Leigh Burne wrote:But the problem isn't with the posters. It's with a bit of obvious reproduction newspaper tat.

Why the hell would anyone care about hanging one of those on their wall? It's not like it's especially aesthetically pleasing. Do you typically hang up faux newspaper clippings about bands to decorate your room?

You didn't see my bedroom wall when I was a teenager. I had it bad, lol!

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On