The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby TheHero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Listening through the raw sessions now...
Spread Your Wings and Fight From The Inside.
Both songs have a surprisingly different feeling, and I actually find them more easy to listen to, especially FFTI
Somehow they are more american sounding/influenced than their typical british sound image.

I know they are not similar, but Billy Joel came into mind when hearing SYW. Steely Dan on Roger's FFTI, on some improvised parts that were skipped on the album version, which ended up sounding more "punk-like" than this cool version.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Sleeping On The Sidewalk: Wow! Queen doing blues, sounding really awesome! They should have done this more often!! Freddie does a perfect job on vocals! I like this version better than the original. They are playing this blues like an Eagle flying in the sky, smooth like silk. Hearing lots of fans yelling at the end, so obviously a larger concert.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:07 pm

It's Late: Again, less angry, less punk, more relaxed and easier on the ears. Really good! It seems to me they would have a pretty good alternative album if they used all these versions instead! But I suppose at the time they needed to show punk fans, and Queen fans, that they had not forgotten their hard rocking style, and they also needed a real change from their two previous albums.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DANAIR737 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 pm

It is a nice item despite it's well documented flaws and being far too expensive. I noticed quite a bit of extra stuff on the dvd that wasn't shown on tv, and the Frank menu is really good.

I got mine late. I was on the fence for a month, but 5 weeks before the release I took the plunge and pre-ordered it on Amazon. I was on the fence on where to buy it from, too. What Records, Spin CD's (£89.99, but saw a terrible Spin CD's review on Youtube), the Queen online shop, HMV or Amazon. I chose Amazon in the end with it's pre-order guarantee and because I've never had a problem with them... until now that is. Amazon lost it, so so much for my £102 pre-order guarantee. I asked for a refund after a week without it and ended up buying it for £110 at Fopp (HMV) on the high street. Can't beat high street shopping, just a shame it's generally more expensive.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby sacko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 am

Last edited by sacko on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 pm

sacko wrote:sleeping on the sidewalk live shows, once again, what a shit singer brian is and how much freddie dominates. including brian's screeching vocals for a whopping two songs, really hurt the overall quality of the album. selfish prick he is.

Whoa, Action! Steady on! 'selfish prick'? I think Brian is a good man myself...but he is a crap vocalist (I agree on that). Thank fuck he picked up a guitar all those years ago instead of a microphone, hey?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:06 pm

sacko wrote:sleeping on the sidewalk live shows, once again, what a shit singer brian is and how much freddie dominates. including brian's screeching vocals for a whopping two songs, really hurt the overall quality of the album. selfish prick he is.

Brian doing lead vocal on a "whopping total of 10 songs" (mostly written by Brian) of a song list of around 170 songs. I wouldn't call that selfish. :roll:

Songs sung by Brian, have I forgot any ? :

Some Day One Day
She Makes Me
'39
Good Company
Long Away
All Dead, All Dead
Sleeping On The Sidewalk
Leaving Home Ain't Easy
Sail Away Sweet Sister
No-One But You

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Listening to the beautiful sound quality of Sleeping On The Sidewalk (live in USA 1977), makes me wonder if there is a bucket full of recorded live tracks from every concert they did on the US/European tour of -77/-78 ?? When they got this rare one, you would think they got everything else too. :o

Any thoughts around this ?

Anyway, if this is this the case, then I would be very happy if they put together a live box-set, or a big live compilation from this period.

One thing that is very amusing, is that there is nothing that tells us which date, or what venue this song was performed? Quite a mystery this. Does anyone have a clue? I read over at QZ, that there are rumors saying this was recored at Portland Maine. In that case, maybe they keep it secret, just to come up with a full live concert later on? I don't know, but there is something mysterious with this anonymous, pleasant surprise. Very untypical Queen to release a track without any information.

Imagine a live compilation from 1978-1979, celebrating Jazz or Live Killers. A unique opportunity to get out some late 70s music.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sacko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Last edited by sacko on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm

sacko wrote:a whole album's worth of freddie songs we're missing because brian thought his voice better, i'd call that a big deal.

he basically thought he sang better than the greatest singer of all time. selfish doesnt cover it all really. i call it just plain ignorant

Wow. I don't think I'll ever see a more clear cut case of the pot calling the kettle black...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:20 pm

All though Freddie is the greatest singer, I am glad both Roger and Brian had some songs singing lead, even if some songs may have sounded better with Fred. If John could/wanted to sing, I would like to hear his voice on some tracks too. Sharing lead adds to the versatility of Queen. If I wrote a song, I would also like to have the opportunity to sing lead on my own composition.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 am

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 am

In The Studio with Redbeard: NOTW 40th Anniv.

Radio interview in the link below:
http://www.inthestudio.net/online-on-de ... brian-may/

In the studio with Redbeard:
Brian May and photo journalist Neal Preston.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:23 am

TheHero wrote:
phpBB [video]

I can't see why anyone would want that hideous thing. It looks nothing like the real robot on the cover.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sebastian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Thank fuck he picked up a guitar all those years ago instead of a microphone, hey?

He once said it was quite disheartening but also a bit of an eye opener when people at his solo gigs were relatively bored when he was singing but suddenly erupted in loud cheers when he started a guitar solo.

TheHero wrote:Brian doing lead vocal on a "whopping total of 10 songs" (mostly written by Brian) of a song list of around 170 songs. I wouldn't call that selfish. :roll:

It is selfish if the quality of those ten songs was affected because of his insistence in singing them himself. What if Frederick had played lead guitar on ten songs just for kicks, instead of letting Maestro May do it?
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On