The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby Kes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:04 pm

TheHero wrote:
sacko wrote:sleeping on the sidewalk live shows, once again, what a shit singer brian is and how much freddie dominates. including brian's screeching vocals for a whopping two songs, really hurt the overall quality of the album. selfish prick he is.

Brian doing lead vocal on a "whopping total of 10 songs" (mostly written by Brian) of a song list of around 170 songs. I wouldn't call that selfish. :roll:

Songs sung by Brian, have I forgot any ? :

Some Day One Day
She Makes Me
'39
Good Company
Long Away
All Dead, All Dead
Sleeping On The Sidewalk
Leaving Home Ain't Easy
Sail Away Sweet Sister
No-One But You

Lost Opportunity.

You "could" also include Who Wants To Live Forever, I Want It All and Let Me Live if you wanted songs where he "sang" sections of lead vocals.

...He also got a line in Hello Mary Lou, on the Magic Tour, if you want to be picky.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 pm

My take on it, is that the Brian and Roger sung things, gave the albums more depth and variety, and as a result made each collection stronger for it. None of us, even Brian, would dispute Freddie was the best singer in the band, but that's not the point. One of the things that makes the earlier albums "seem" better, is that point-counterpoint argument of songs working with each other to create a 45 minute rollercoaster of an album.

They later admitted that on the last two albums, it was pretty much all about getting Freddie to sing everything, because they knew they wouldn't have that luxury at their disposal for much longer.

The same argument could be used for the backing vocals. Freddie proved on Bo Rhap he could do his own backing vocals. After all, he's the only voice you can hear in the entire first half of the song, but if EVERY song was like that, I think it would have started to get boring, so the band used different combinations of one, two and the three of them, doing different things to get a bit of variety and unpredictability working for them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:03 pm

The Raw album is simply amazing, I absolutely love it. :)

Curiously, the song that I really would really like to hear Freddie sing on is 'Driven By You'. I think that would've really suited him....wonder if it exists? Who knows?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sbrown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 pm

sebastian wrote:It is selfish if the quality of those ten songs was affected because of his insistence in singing them himself.

What evidence is there that he insisted?
At the very least he said Freddie told him to sing the first verse of Who Wants To Live Forever.
It's just like Roger playing guitar on Fight From The Inside, John playing guitar on Who Needs You, or Freddie playing guitar on Crazy Little Thing.
Given the solidarity for all of their messaging throughout their working life with Freddie, I don't think it's fair to call it anything other than a band decision.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 pm

sbrown wrote:What evidence is there that he insisted?

That's why I wrote 'if...'

sbrown wrote:At the very least he said Freddie told him to sing the first verse of Who Wants To Live Forever.

When and where did he say that?

sbrown wrote:It's just like Roger playing guitar on Fight From The Inside, John playing guitar on Who Needs You, or Freddie playing guitar on Crazy Little Thing.

All those three songs still feature Brian on lead guitar.

sbrown wrote:Given the solidarity for all of their messaging throughout their working life with Freddie, I don't think it's fair to call it anything other than a band decision.

Not necessarily.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:19 am

IMHO - Freddie's live vocals on Sleeping On The Sidewalk here explain both why he didn't sing every track Brian and Roger wrote, and why they dropped the song shortly afterwards.

His voice was incredible. But it didn't suit everything. There are songs in the band's back catalogue that he'd quite possibly have ruined.

Hell, personally, I think there IS one already - Too Much Love Will Kill You. I love ya, Fred, but your bombastic take on it is no match for Brian's tortured vocals on the solo version, where he actually manages to sing like he bloody means it.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby YAFF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:38 am

Sir Didymus wrote:Hell, personally, I think there IS one already - Too Much Love Will Kill You. I love ya, Fred, but your bombastic take on it is no match for Brian's tortured vocals on the solo version, where he actually manages to sing like he bloody means it.

Couldn't disagree more. Freddie shows a lot of feeling in that song and it's actually somewhat restrained for him. Brian's is nice but his version sounds too pop like Foreigner..

I am fine with the Brian & Roger vocals on the albums and don't really care if Freddie could do them better. Like Kes said I like the little variety here and there. I think the only tracks Freddie should have sung was "Long Away" and "Leaving Home Ain't Easy" because they might have been worthy of being singles with Freddie singing.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:39 am

sebastian wrote:
sbrown wrote:At the very least he said Freddie told him to sing the first verse of Who Wants To Live Forever.

When and where did he say that?

That quote is definitely out there, but I can't remember where I heard it.

I do think, however, the words 'suggested' or 'encouraged' should replace 'told.'
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 am

I've said numerous times how much I enjoy the songs Freddie didn't sing for the band. It makes them that bit more special. Kinda like that one random Iron Maiden B-side that guitarist Adrian Smith sings leads on, with Bruce relegated to backing. It's not their greatest song, but it stands out as an interesting curiosity, and is a hell of a lot more memorable for it.

Sure Freddie was the better singer. But I wouldn't want him to re-do the vocals on every single Dire Straits song just because he's a better vocalist than Mark Knopfler. Same goes for Queen. I like to hear Brian and Roger sometimes. Not to mention there are certain tracks where Brian's thinner voice or Roger's raspy tones just fit better.

Case in point - "All Dead, All Dead" from this set. Brian suits the song better.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am

Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby sacko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:16 am

Last edited by sacko on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 am

For anyone who's interested...

The MPT are auctioning off the NOTW picture disc numbered "0001" on eBay.

Not often ANYONE outside the band, or members of it's immediate families get a chance to own a numbered limited edition below about number 10, let alone 1-4.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby YAFF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

sacko wrote:
YAFF wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:Hell, personally, I think there IS one already - Too Much Love Will Kill You. I love ya, Fred, but your bombastic take on it is no match for Brian's tortured vocals on the solo version, where he actually manages to sing like he bloody means it.

Couldn't disagree more. Freddie shows a lot of feeling in that song and it's actually somewhat restrained for him. Brian's is nice but his version sounds too pop like Foreigner..

I am fine with the Brian & Roger vocals on the albums and don't really care if Freddie could do them better. Like Kes said I like the little variety here and there. I think the only tracks Freddie should have sung was "Long Away" and "Leaving Home Ain't Easy" because they might have been worthy of being singles with Freddie singing.

brian's version is so horrible, it makes my balls shrink.

prefering brians version over freddie is like preferring to be be thrown in a pit of nails

:lol:
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 pm

I have to agree that Brian's vocals on TMLWKY fits the song better. It feels more personal, like he reallly means it, while when Freddie sings, it is more like "him doing Brian's song". Though I prefer the guitar solo/instrumental part on the Queen version.

A bit off topic, but I also prefer the Queen version of Made In Heaven over the FM solo version. It still gives me chills when played loud. While at it, the guitar solo on You Don't Fool Me is in my opinion one of the best Brian ever did, and I think the whole MIH album is underrated, good production, but it is a sad album, and that is why I don't play it too often. Infact I believe the overall sadness is what overshadows the quality. Though I could like more rock songs (which was my thought when I bought it in 1995), perhaps it is for the better that they made it a peaceful farewell to the one and only.
Last edited by TheHero on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 pm

TheHero wrote:the guitar solo on You Don't Fool Me is in my opinion one of the best Brian ever did

Interestingly enough, he recorded it on what would have been Frederick's 49th birthday. It was also the very last guitar he played for a bona fide Queen record, though of course he did some other stuff afterwards such as No-One But You, TCR and overdubbing recycled material.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On