The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: The cat is out of the Bag - NOTW Expanded Edition!!

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Ok... i was fortunate enough to have been given NOTW box set as a present for Christmas. Must say that i like a lot of other people were not overly enthusiastic of some of the contents and will still stand by the fact that this was a missed opportunity by the items omitted.
Having said that the product packaging ( excluding the error which is pretty poor ) is top notch by any bands standards. Regardless of the content, it has been produced to the highest quality and feels like a nice product in your hands. Again from a contents perspective i like the raw tracks they have included and as a long term fan ( 1978 ) but who no longer collects bootlegs/outtakes and other rare recordings it is still holding enough interest for me. The reproduction items whilst of relevance and interest for others does little for myself personally but can understand why it has been included. The book is nice, posters fine, stickers a bit pointless and laminate a waste of time if you ask me. I have a set with the misprinted bio but as this was a gift have no way of ordering a replacement, although too be honest i am not overly bothered and will not waste time seeking a correct one out, although for a product that was £100 this oversight is a poor error that really should not have occurred.
Would i buy this had it not been gifted to me...as i love this album i would have to say yes i would have taken a punt.
Even though i disagree with including items that have only recently been available via other releases which i already own. I would have purchased this and been happy enough even though still thinking what may have been.
Very happy to have received this product as a gift, but like so many others this would have benefited from a live show inclusion,possibly an extended documentary if there was enough interesting clips to add to what is offered on this, include some of the other rare demo/outtakes that are known to exist but not included due to quality issues Dump the replica tat and concentrate on perhaps a more comprehensive book that not only includes rare pictures but also some stories by people around the recording or shows at the time ( band as well ).
The Rainbow release was superb, Hammersmith good but again pricey for contents, this sits somewhere in between in my opinion.
I really hope that if they do get round to thinking about a Live Killers / Jazz deluxe box set then they will learn and take notice of some of the comments posted on these pages, whilst it is impossible to keep everyone happy there are some constructive criticisms that could make the next release something that the band and fans can be really happy and proud with.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm

The omission of a period live gig is probably the biggest issue with the set.

Everyone who has brought out a box set such as this in 2017 has included a period live concert as part of the package, and the vast majority of them have been previously unreleased. Queen not including one in a set that costs far more than most of the others is just an insult.

The book’s a bit of let-down, too. I’ve bought a couple of similar sets this year and both of those contain books that actually discuss the making of the album at some length, with new interviews with the band members and whatnot (as well as including a host of pictures). Queen’s book of nothing but photos, nice as some of them are, feels really lightweight in comparison.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:The omission of a period live gig is probably the biggest issue with the set.

Everyone who has brought out a box set such as this in 2017 has included a period live concert as part of the package, and the vast majority of them have been previously unreleased. Queen not including one in a set that costs far more than most of the others is just an insult.

The book’s a bit of let-down, too. I’ve bought a couple of similar sets this year and both of those contain books that actually discuss the making of the album at some length, with new interviews with the band members and whatnot (as well as including a host of pictures). Queen’s book of nothing but photos, nice as some of them are, feels really lightweight in comparison.

I was going to ask what you thought of the set - since you were as critical as I about it. What's the best thing about it in your opinion?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm

I imagine the Raw Sessions disc will be the highlight, but I've been so busy over the last few days I honestly haven't had a chance to get into it beyond a cursory look-through the physical stuff.

It's certainly a nicely put together set - the ridiculous screw-up with the newspaper notwithstanding - but at a glance, I'm seeing little to really justify the price tag. Sure, it's significantly larger (in terms of physical size) than the other 2017 box sets I own (Def Leppard's and Whitesnake's), but cardboard isn't exactly expensive and content-wise it certainly contains less.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:I imagine the Raw Sessions disc will be the highlight, but I've been so busy over the last few days I honestly haven't had a chance to get into it beyond a cursory look-through the physical stuff.

It's certainly a nicely put together set - the ridiculous screw-up with the newspaper notwithstanding - but at a glance, I'm seeing little to really justify the price tag. Sure, it's significantly larger (in terms of physical size) than the other 2017 box sets I own (Def Leppard's and Whitesnake's), but cardboard isn't exactly expensive and content-wise it certainly contains less.

Well, I look forward to your review when you have had a chance to listen to it all properly. The raw sessions are what appeal to me the most too...

....xmas has fucked off, so maybe I will put it on my birthday list next month. Maybe. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Garibaldi_bcn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:42 am

Hi friends.

Yesterday I finally got my box set..and I'm confused:
On the back of my box set it says: DVD - NTSC, although it has been purchased in Europe where the DVD system is PAL. Is that alright?. I mean, are all the DVDs in the box sets NTSC?.

I hope you can help me.

Regards.

Garibaldi_bcn
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am

Quite common for music DVDs released in Europe to be in the NTSC format. It'll play fine though unless you have a very old TV

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:29 am

Had to send my set back as the vinyl jumps at the start of Side Two... hopefully won't be too long til I get a replacement!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby kurgan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm

I received my replacement newspaper in the post today.

kurgan
We Will Rock You

Postby sbrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Now that I've had some time to absorb it, I think I'd say the best thing on the RAW disc is the earlier version of Get Down, Make Love. Much more organic and a beautiful groove. I think that's a good example of one they tinkered with too much.

I'm also really appreciating the instrumental Fight From The Inside. Brilliant bit of recording.

It's Late is also fascinating. The final version is one of the very best rock songs Queen ever did, and Freddie makes it seem effortless. However, this earlier vocal really shows how much work he put in to get it to that point. So much stretching or avoiding the higher notes. Brian has mentioned he pushed Freddie in terms of range and he was completely right to - what eventually was created is an amazing piece of music.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby WiseMan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 am

News Of The World 2011 remaster in Box set 2017.
Why six-years-old remaster in this box?
I don not understand

WiseMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:Had to send my set back as the vinyl jumps at the start of Side Two... hopefully won't be too long til I get a replacement!

That's disappointing to hear. I've not got round to listening to mine yet, guess I'd better check it!

kurgan wrote:I received my replacement newspaper in the post today.

Did you receive any kind of communication/confirmation from them before this?

I sent of my request but I've heard diddly squat from them so far.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby kurgan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Yes, I received an email to say they were sending me a replacement this week.
I received it by 1st class post the next day.

kurgan
We Will Rock You

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Got my replacement paper today

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dave Mack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Hey guys! Happy New year, all? Is there any way to watch the doc here in the states? I go to the BBC site to watch it and it says BBC player only works in the UK due to rights issues.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09d5xpf
I don't see it on the BBC America site.
I have scanned YouTube and only see random clips. I really don't want to plunk down all the $ for the boxset to get an SD dvd version. Should have been a Blu ray. Thanks!

Dave Mack
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On