NOTW Box Set- QPL and the Fanbase

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

NOTW Box Set- QPL and the Fanbase

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm

I recently started another thread with regards to the 40th Anniversary Edition of News Of The World after it was leaked in a music magazine. Nothing official from QPL until today with the Freddie Party premiere of the NOTW Documentary.

This got me thinking wouldn't it be great if QPL got us, the fanbase involved with this release, which could be if handled right one of the best Queen archive releases ever. Why not ask want we want (within reason) tell us what there considering and what's available, give us previews of content and artwork. If you look at the press release QPL put out recently for the Bohemian Rhapsody film, change a couple of words and it could turn this project into a huge PR statement for QPL and be something special for the fanbase.

Yes folks, it IS finally happening. You’ve been hearing rumours about the News Of The World Box Set for some time, but now QOL is about to become your most direct source of official information. This will be the place to come to stay ahead of all the very latest news and updates as the Box Set gets underway – and hopefully we’ll have some regular insider information to share with you too.

So starting right now, here's what we can confirm at this stage.

Now wouldn't that be a breathe of fresh air...........comments please :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Re: NOTW Box Set- QPL and the Fanbase

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 pm

And this evening I will be making love to Jessica Alba.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm sure QPL are already aware of what the uber-fans would consider a 'dream' anniversary edition of NotW. So not sure how much extra they'd be to find out by engaging with the fans on this.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm

They have access to, in their view, enough fans. Greg, Jim Jenkins, and on previous evidence, a couple of people on here may well cast an eye in order to reduce the error count.

They don't need a further committee of randoms making suggestions that have either already been discarded, or are unrealistic / uneconomic,

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:And this evening I will be making love to Jessica Alba.

:D :biggrin: :lol: :onfire:

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby eiricd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 am

Very excited about this - the snippets of the documentary we have seen are all good, so hopefully there is a lot of good stuff there.
Houston would be a dream!! As would the album in 5.1. Let's see what they are willing to release...

This is the 5th reply to this thread??!

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm

I heard though recently that Greg Brooks had stated Houston as a whole would never be released...so unless something has changed we're probably going to get Houston highlights at best.

Now hopefully the "Rare Versions" of well know tracks are in fact that...No mention of unknown demos though which I would think they would highlight...then again this was not the press release for the actual product....so we'll have to wait and see..

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Yeah, 'rare' can mean whatever you want it to mean. If you think of how many copies of News of the World are out there versus the number of copies of an album with 'Spread Your Wings (BBC Sessions)' on it, then I guess 'Spread Your Wings (BBC Sessions) could be described as rare.

I daresay anyone reading this has whatever level of access to that track they wish already though.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby slightlymad1970 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 pm

I still say this could be a worthwhile exercise for QPL in building bridges with the fanbase, I don't expect for one minute we would have any say in the final product but if they say held a poll to see if fans wanted a complete Houston show or highlights included they could feed the result back to Brian, Roger and Jim. If we want a 5.1 surround sound mix, if we want a dvd or blu ray, any form of interaction with the fans who have stuck with this band for decades would be appreciated!

A brief snippet of the documentary every month until the release or a teaser of an outtake would be great. Getting the fans involved would only generate interest in the final product and after all we all know this is a business with customers.

After dropping It's Late and SYW from the current tour Brian, Rog and the team need to build some bridges! ;-)

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Hangman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about this release, I just hope Houston 77 is part of it, as in the full concert on Blu-Ray. If it isn't then this release won't hit its potential by a long shot.

I will take certain songs as some are better than none, but what worries me is if this is the case then they might pick the NOTW songs and hits only. Has White Man and The Prophets Song live ever been officially released on any Queen product? In fact I only think Death on Two Legs live was released as audio only on Live Killers, but I could be wrong? Anyway, none of these are hits or NOTW songs and I really want them released as part of Houston 77, so please let it be so!

Such an amazing concert deserves to be released. Queen live in the second half of the 70's is seriously underrepresented in the live concert DVD/Blu-Ray market.
Best Queen song = Brighton Rock

Read my book Soulless Voodoo Guy

Hangman
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:I still say this could be a worthwhile exercise for QPL in building bridges with the fanbase, I don't expect for one minute we would have any say in the final product but if they say held a poll to see if fans wanted a complete Houston show or highlights included they could feed the result back to Brian, Roger and Jim. If we want a 5.1 surround sound mix, if we want a dvd or blu ray, any form of interaction with the fans who have stuck with this band for decades would be appreciated!

If anything on the Q+AL setlist is burning bridges with the fanbase, then I'm even further out of touch than before...

But in any case, whatever content is forthcoming is already decided, What would be the point of asking you whether it should be a DVD o a Bluray when it's decided already - wouldn't that actually be insulting?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby BitterTears » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Well, I suppose the original suggestion was on the assumption the content hadn't already been decided and fans could help shape it.

Not that QPL could learn too much. Can't see them going 'oh you want previoualy unreleased live concerts and unheard demos and outtakes from the archive?! We had no idea!'.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby DREAMASTER » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Fans will be quite positive surprised by this. And I already said too much.
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby GalileoFigaro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 pm

For the present and the foreseeable future, pessimism is realism. If the changes on the current tour with Adam Lambert are any indication, it's that we don't get our hopes up. For all we know, as someone on QZ said, the goodies may be:

- "We Are the Champions" premium vodka
- "Get Down, Make Love" condoms
- "We Will Rock You" vintage earwarmers
- "Spread Your Wings" replica tour plane tickets
- "It's Late" plastic wristwatch
- "Who Needs You" photocopied middle finger from Jim Beach dedicated to the fans

...and of course, a bonus disc of seven versions of WWRY. Prove us wrong, QPL.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 pm

GalileoFigaro wrote:For the present and the foreseeable future, pessimism is realism. If the changes on the current tour with Adam Lambert are any indication, it's that we don't get our hopes up. For all we know, as someone on QZ said, the goodies may be:

- "We Are the Champions" premium vodka
- "Get Down, Make Love" condoms
- "We Will Rock You" vintage earwarmers
- "Spread Your Wings" replica tour plane tickets
- "It's Late" plastic wristwatch
- "Who Needs You" photocopied middle finger from Jim Beach dedicated to the fans

...and of course, a bonus disc of seven versions of WWRY. Prove us wrong, QPL.

Don't give them ideas :nervous:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy