And so it begins...

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: And so it begins...

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I recall the reviews in the papers (about 2002?) at the time; I had a little newsagents and before I even opened up I had scanned every paper for every written piece - and every review was absolutely atrocious (but as Queen fans we are used to all that)...totally scathing articles, but I think more about the script than the music to be fair.

I had no intention of going whatsoever and was absolutely scathing of it myself on here (of course :P ) but Kes persuaded me that I should go and I did and I was completely blown away by the audience reaction at the end! The live singers were every bit as good as Lambert and it was just a bit of honest fun..not Queen, not pretending to be Queen, just a musical show. Sure the script was crap, but it was 'that' music, those smiling people, those waving arms...and of course there was the adulation for Freddie which just made me so proud (not that he's mine, lol). The icing on the cake was meeting Brian in the Queen gift shop in Vegas. He was buying a keyring and other assorted tat with his band on...curiously and maybe thankfully, he had no idea who I was. :P

If ever there was a time to reopen it, it must be coming soon, it would be a great compliment to the film...(and yeah, rewrite it...). :P

Yeah, you have nailed just why it was so popular: it obviously had nothing to do with the awful script, but had everything to do with THAT music (timeless, passionate, living, breathing music) and the atmosphere amongst the crowd - I recall fans standing up during the show and singing and dancing and simply not giving a solitary fuck (my kind of people!). I remember seeing Brian there too (I think he virtually slept in that building for the first few weeks of the show), Jim Beach and dear old Jer (she was so small, bless her).

The love and respect for Freddie is what attracts me to these kind of things more than anything else - 26 years after his passing and I can still sit there in awe, excitement running down my spine just because a few hundred people have reacted a certain way when The Man is referenced or paid respect to. Wonderful. And you are completely correct: Freddie is not yours; he's mine, bitch! :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Guru » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:52 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
I agree that the bulk will obviously be the big hits; for sure. But, I just feel that this would be an excellent opportunity to not be seen as a greatest hits band yet again (which is not always a bad thing, but...); a double album with the hits and some other, rarer tracks would be wonderful.

You mean like a NOTW 40th anniversary boxset would be an excellent opportunity to showcase a live show from their peak live period?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 am

Guru wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
I agree that the bulk will obviously be the big hits; for sure. But, I just feel that this would be an excellent opportunity to not be seen as a greatest hits band yet again (which is not always a bad thing, but...); a double album with the hits and some other, rarer tracks would be wonderful.

You mean like a NOTW 40th anniversary boxset would be an excellent opportunity to showcase a live show from their peak live period?

Well, obviously, most of us want the Houston show, but it is what it is. I am specifically talking about the film soundtrack though; the NOTW box set is fine by me - could be better, but could be far fucking worse.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On