And so it begins...

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: And so it begins...

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

BitterTears wrote:Could end up like the Mamma Mia soundtrack. Re-recorded hits with the cast performing.

Some of the cast of that film weren't great singers but the album was a huge seller. I suspect Abba diehards don't love the album though...

Oh, Christ, I hope not! I think they should simply release a double album including the hits and some lesser known stuff - and if there is a rare track or two that still haven't seen the light of day then this would be a great opportunity to work on them and put them out there (I mean, what better publicity than a big film?)...

...now if they were to only work on Love Makin Love and release that as a 'new' Queen track on the album, I would be fucking delighted.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby WeeMann » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Guru wrote:As is the idea that it will be anything other than most of GH anyway.

Er, no. No one knows what the album will include.

Based on the image in the first post, I'd say the following tracks are a shoe in:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Radio Ga Ga
Hammer To Fall
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

And possibly also Is This The World We Created.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:01 pm

WeeMann wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Based on the image in the first post, I'd say the following tracks are a shoe in:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Radio Ga Ga
Hammer To Fall
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

And possibly also Is This The World We Created.

Oh, I think we can all agree that those songs are a given on the film soundtrack (considering Live Aid is going to play such a massive part in the film); but, that doesn't mean it is going to be simply a greatest hits package - of course any soundtrack to this film is going to include the big hitters, but they could seize this opportunity to get some rarer tracks out there.

Queen are never going to get publicity like this again (I very much doubt); when this film is released they have a real chance of releasing something wonderful (with a couple of rarities hopefully) that could cater for the die-hards and the greatest hits fans.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Guru » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Guru wrote:
As is the idea that it will be anything other than most of GH anyway.

OK, it's not silly to think it won't be GH. My phrasing was too derivative. However, what would be on the soundtrack album of a Queen biopic, called Bohemian Rhapsody, and built around Live Aid as a set piece, if not for most of GH with some tracks off The Works? Yes, there will be excpetions (perhaps WWTLF), but as a 10-12 song soundtrack:

1. Bo Rhap
2. Radio Ga Ga
3. Somebody To Love
4. Play The Game
5. Somebody To Love
6. Don't Stop Me Now
7. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
8. Who Wants To Live Forever
9. Hammer To Fall
10 We Will Rock You
11 We Are The Champions

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:50 pm

As a comparison, what was the most obscure track in the musical?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Guru wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

OK, it's not silly to think it won't be GH. My phrasing was too derivative. However, what would be on the soundtrack album of a Queen biopic, called Bohemian Rhapsody, and built around Live Aid as a set piece, if not for most of GH with some tracks off The Works? Yes, there will be excpetions (perhaps WWTLF), but as a 10-12 song soundtrack:

1. Bo Rhap
2. Radio Ga Ga
3. Somebody To Love
4. Play The Game
5. Somebody To Love
6. Don't Stop Me Now
7. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
8. Who Wants To Live Forever
9. Hammer To Fall
10 We Will Rock You
11 We Are The Champions

I agree that the bulk will obviously be the big hits; for sure. But, I just feel that this would be an excellent opportunity to not be seen as a greatest hits band yet again (which is not always a bad thing, but...); a double album with the hits and some other, rarer tracks would be wonderful.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Guru wrote:As a comparison, what was the most obscure track in the musical?

Christ, don't ask me anything about the musical - I hated that shit. Although I did pay to go and watch it in London (worst script writing I have ever endured)...and from memory was it No One But You? I know what you are getting at: the film will be similar to the musical in the sense that it will be all about the hits - I am just saying that it doesn't have to be with regards to the soundtrack.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

Christ, don't ask me anything about the musical - I hated that shit. Although I did pay to go and watch it in London (worst script writing I have ever endured)...and from memory was it No One But You? I know what you are getting at: the film will be similar to the musical in the sense that it will be all about the hits - I am just saying that it doesn't have to be with regards to the soundtrack.

Ogre Battle. ;-)

https://youtu.be/7rq5U8YNJ2Y

I hated it too...still saw it 88 times though. :lol:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Ogre Battle. ;-)

Ey Fairy! How do you feel about the biopic? Is it something that excites you?

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Christ, don't ask me anything about the musical - I hated that shit. Although I did pay to go and watch it in London (worst script writing I have ever endured)...and from memory was it No One But You? I know what you are getting at: the film will be similar to the musical in the sense that it will be all about the hits - I am just saying that it doesn't have to be with regards to the soundtrack.

Ogre Battle. ;-)

88 times? I don't know if you are pulling my plonker about this, fd. Once was definitely enough for me...the music and the talent of the live band, as well as the general atmosphere (queen fans all together dancing, singing, not giving a fuck) were the things that I did enjoy - the 'script' however...now that Ben Elton drivel I could not subject myself to ever again. I still think Queen missed a trick when they turned down the woman who wrote the Mamma Mia musical book - the whole thing would have been a completely different beast altogether.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:28 pm

It was shit
top to bottom.
My lad came with me , he was 12 then, and thought it was shit too.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
88 times? I don't know if you are pulling my plonker about this, fd.

Yeah 88 times in many countries and many cities on the UK tour...oh and about 40 odd visits to London. :P Yeah, the script was crap, but it was a massive success. I hope it returns, they were good days and for me, as awful as it was, it got me travelling about a bit and meeting people. I think it was Freddie's 60th birthday show that was the best one, the crowd was better than any crowd at any Queen show I ever went to, it was a great night out. :)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
88 times? I don't know if you are pulling my plonker about this, fd.

Yeah 88 times in many countries and many cities on the UK tour...oh and about 40 odd visits to London. :P Yeah, the script was crap, but it was a massive success. I hope it returns, they were good days and for me, as awful as it was, it got me travelling about a bit and meeting people. I think it was Freddie's 60th birthday show that was the best one, the crowd was better than any crowd at any Queen show I ever went to, it was a great night out. :)

Christ, you weren't joking. Like I said, I loved the atmosphere and the live band, but the Ben Elton drivel just wound me up far too much.

I recall the reviews in the papers (about 2002?) at the time; I had a little newsagents and before I even opened up I had scanned every paper for every written piece - and every review was absolutely atrocious (but as Queen fans we are used to all that)...totally scathing articles, but I think more about the script than the music to be fair.

I do miss the sense of togetherness that these sorts of events used to create: you know, like a little Queen community...and for an anal, obsessive Freddie fan like me chatting to others who are just as mad about my idol as I am just warms my heart and soul. Simple things, I know. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I recall the reviews in the papers (about 2002?) at the time; I had a little newsagents and before I even opened up I had scanned every paper for every written piece - and every review was absolutely atrocious (but as Queen fans we are used to all that)...totally scathing articles, but I think more about the script than the music to be fair.

I had no intention of going whatsoever and was absolutely scathing of it myself on here (of course :P ) but Kes persuaded me that I should go and I did and I was completely blown away by the audience reaction at the end! The live singers were every bit as good as Lambert and it was just a bit of honest fun..not Queen, not pretending to be Queen, just a musical show. Sure the script was crap, but it was 'that' music, those smiling people, those waving arms...and of course there was the adulation for Freddie which just made me so proud (not that he's mine, lol). The icing on the cake was meeting Brian in the Queen gift shop in Vegas. He was buying a keyring and other assorted tat with his band on...curiously and maybe thankfully, he had no idea who I was. :P

If ever there was a time to reopen it, it must be coming soon, it would be a great compliment to the film...(and yeah, rewrite it...). :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 pm

fairydandy wrote:If ever there was a time to reopen it, it must be coming soon, it would be a great compliment to the film...(and yeah, rewrite it...). :P

There was at least one major meeting for a sequel, but no idea how far it's gone.

A couple of months ago I met the sound designer, Bobby Aitken, at my mate's wedding. Unfortunately I was too pissed to trust myself talking to him about the show.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On