All dead all dead

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: All dead all dead

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

sebastian wrote:
Welshqueenfan wrote:In fact, id say the only brian compositions that freddie plays piano on would be white queen and seven seas of rhye.

Seven Seas of Rhye was composed by Freddie.

Fred played piano on Sail Away Sweet Sister as well as live versions of Doing All Right, White Queen, Father to Son (1975) and Save Me (1979 - 1981).

Brian wasn't credited for the piano on 'All Dead' but he did play it. Whenever there was a Queen song written by Brian which had piano, it was him, except for 'Sail Away' (Frederick) and 'Let Me in Your Heart Again' (the other Frederick).

Has anyone heard the alleged original version of Is This The World We Created...?, which supposedly featured piano in place of the acoustic guitar? I wonder if Brian or Freddie played the piano part on that, as it was a joint composition.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 am

Kes wrote:How's about Now I'm Here, some absolutely rip-roaring piano on that one. Always wondered if that was someone outside the band, actually.

Brian played that one as well, on the famous 'Hey Jude' Bechstein. The part is not really that hard to play, and Brian was going for a conscious Mott the Hoople tribute there. Ian Hunter's a good piano player but you don't need to be Lang Lang to be able to emulate his style for a few seconds.

Welshqueenfan wrote:Sorry folks i know freddie wrote seven seas of rhye but a lot of it was brian and wasnt credited.

'A lot of it' is a bit of an exaggeration ... he (and John and Roger) contributed bits and pieces, same way Fred (and John and Roger) may have contributed bits and pieces to a lot of Brian's songs. 'Seven Seas' is still chiefly Frederick's and, more to the point, the piano part he came up with.

cmsdrums wrote:Has anyone heard the alleged original version of Is This The World We Created...?, which supposedly featured piano in place of the acoustic guitar? I wonder if Brian or Freddie played the piano part on that, as it was a joint composition.

That's just a myth. The evidence (e.g. Freddie's lengthy [for his standards] explanation to Mary Turner about the song) points at them having thought of having it guitar-based from day one. I know there have been rumours about a piano version, but everytime someone has come up with a supposed audio from it, it's obviously:

- Not Freddie (and not Brian either ... and not Fred Mandel either).
- Not a piano (but an electronic entertainment keyboard poorly emulating a piano sound).
- Overdubbed after the song had been mixed and mastered.

All of that points out at (poor) fakes made accompanied by a fake (yet theoretically plausible) story and then a quick outrage if someone dares pointing that out. Cue all the 'oh, but you can't prove it doesn't exist, can you? ... You think you know everything! ... Were you there when they were making the album?'

Same for the supposed Trident version of 'Night Comes Down' or the supposed much longer version of 'Bo Rhap'. On the contrary, other things do/did exist, such as a demo of 'Innuendo' sung by Roger (as confirmed by Greg about fifteen years ago, and by fifty lucky fans a few days ago) or a working version of what would become 'Let Me Live' tracked with Rod Stewart.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:13 am

On one of my first visits to Outside Line, my conversation with Nick Weymouth turned to a Ballads album that was originally intended to accompany Queen Rocks. Previously, I'd never heard anyone mention this piano version of ITTWWC. However, Nick told me that Greg Brooks had at some point given him a CDR of this compilation, and it had "a piano version" of the song on it. He told me it was pretty good. I asked if I could possibly hear it, and he went for a rummage round his cupboard but couldn't find it.

Even though I've never heard this version myself, and don't know for sure it really exists, I find it hard to believe that he'd mention something, a long time before it became a rumour circulating the Internet, if it didn't exist.

Oh, and from what I recall, he did mention it was Freddie playing it.

PPS. From what I recall being said, it wasn't neccessarily an "original" version, but more likely just another mix of it, with an accompanying piano.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 am

I DO consider myself "fortunate" to have been at Metropolis the other day, but everybody had the same chance, depending on their resources, and where they placed those resources.

Really, I don't think I would have found the money if it was one of those things I could put off, but from it's announcement, I think it was more of a case that I knew it was a "once only" thing, and that I'd curse myself forever for NOT attending. So, I worked out the pennies, wrote off going to Montreux for the Freddie party, and a few other things, and put everything spare I had into going to the Innuendo thing.

Fucking REALLY glad that I did too.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes, absolutely, should a piano version ever surface officially, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected. Until then, I'll remain open-minded but sceptical.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm

And THAT'S the best way to be.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Welshqueenfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 am

surely if there wasnt a piano version, queen productions could wheel out a piano version played by brian in recent times, with freddies vocals over the top.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Think if it turns up, you'll just know if it's Freddie or Brian playing it, and if it IS Fred, it won't be something he's added in the past 26 years.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On