New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Lover Boy wrote:I've watched the documentary twice and I've got to say it's brilliant. So much footage that shows our band at a time when they were close and hungry for world domination. I too thought the inclusion of Adam Lambert at the end was awkward and distracting. Now, I haven't anything against the man. In fact, I'm thankful for the work he's done with Queen, but he wasn't necessary for the documentary. The only part of it I liked is that it shows just how strong the fan base is after 40 years of Frank, but that's about it.

I thought the whole thing quite wonderful.

As for the QAL footage? I just cannot understand the negative reactions to it. Sure, I get that not all Queen fans are QAL fans (me included) and that they feel this should be only about Queen, considering it is about the News Of The World era; but, this was clearly a TV promo as well as a brilliant little documentary - and it made perfect sense in the way that it was about how the music from that album is still performed live after all these years - celebrating the 40th anniversary by saying this music is still very much alive and out there...and for a band that 'died' some 26 years that ain't no mean feat.

Please QPL...more of the same; there has to be more of this footage just sitting there gathering dust.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Lover Boy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:00 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:I've watched the documentary twice and I've got to say it's brilliant. So much footage that shows our band at a time when they were close and hungry for world domination. I too thought the inclusion of Adam Lambert at the end was awkward and distracting. Now, I haven't anything against the man. In fact, I'm thankful for the work he's done with Queen, but he wasn't necessary for the documentary. The only part of it I liked is that it shows just how strong the fan base is after 40 years of Frank, but that's about it.

As for the QAL footage? I just cannot understand the negative reactions to it. Sure, I get that not all Queen fans are QAL fans (me included) and that they feel this should be only about Queen, considering it is about the News Of The World era; but, this was clearly a TV promo as well as a brilliant little documentary - and it made perfect sense in the way that it was about how the music from that album is still performed live after all these years - celebrating the 40th anniversary by saying this music is still very much alive and out there...and for a band that 'died' some 26 years that ain't no mean feat.

Please QPL...more of the same; there has to be more of this footage just sitting there gathering dust.

I hear what you're saying, really I do. And after reading your post, I have to agree with you, actually. There really wasn't any shame in including the footage. It does make sense. Maybe the underlying thing here is it's not Freddie. And that's not a silly feeling to have. We all miss him. And like I said, I appreciate everything Adam has done. I think he does a tremendous job and if it weren't for him I would never have seen my heroes four times in concert.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

YAFF wrote:
Capt. Den Ronson wrote:I thought it was quite good. Loads of stuff I'd never seen before and Freddie just adorable.
That crap at the end though, with Lambert 'singing' was fucking embarrassing.

It is utterly contemptible. Lamberace is a joke. Fuck him and fuck QAL. If I had any qualms about buying this box set they are gone. The doc was good but ruined by the inclusion of something that is the opposite of Queen.

I'm not used to seeing or hearing Lambert as I don't actively hunt down clips of him singing, with or without Beavis and Butthead. His vocal gymnastics at the end of Champions were appalling. Roger's gut hanging over his snare drum was another bad editing decision. Brian's wire wool hair completed the hat-trick.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:As for the QAL footage? I just cannot understand the negative reactions to it.

Yes you can; you've not been living under a rock. These criticisms have been going on here and elsewhere since Adam replaced Freddie.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Lover Boy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

I hear what you're saying, really I do. And after reading your post, I have to agree with you, actually. There really wasn't any shame in including the footage. It does make sense. Maybe the underlying thing here is it's not Freddie. And that's not a silly feeling to have. We all miss him. And like I said, I appreciate everything Adam has done. I think he does a tremendous job and if it weren't for him I would never have seen my heroes four times in concert.

Well stated. I agree with you: it is about the fact that Adam is not Freddie - and as a Freddie worshipper, I truly understand and empathise...to a degree. But, saying that, I can see this whole QAL thing for what it is and simply keep it separate from my love for Freddie and the boys; it is keeping the music alive, it is bringing in more fans - fans who will discover Freddie for the first time (how great is that?) and it is reminding music fans across the globe just how wonderful and timeless this music is: to me there is no negative side to any of this.

I guess we all differ in how we see or handle Queen without Freddie. For me, there will always only be one Queen and there always be one Freddie Mercury...I am secure enough in that knowledge to be able to accept this latest incarnation of my favourite band. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:As for the QAL footage? I just cannot understand the negative reactions to it.

Yes you can; you've not been living under a rock. These criticisms have been going on here and elsewhere since Adam replaced Freddie.

But - and sorry to point out the obvious here - observing repeated criticisms is not the same as understanding them. Yes, I get people don't take to Adam (I am not enamoured by his performances most of the time)...I just don't get the really negative reactions: just ignore it. It will run its course in due time and it will not have harmed the legacy of the band in any way, just put the music out there a bit more...I just cannot see that as a bad thing.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:18 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
But - and sorry to point out the obvious here - observing repeated criticisms is not the same as understanding them. Yes, I get people don't take to Adam (I am not enamoured by his performances most of the time)...I just don't get the really negative reactions: just ignore it. It will run its course in due time and it will not have harmed the legacy of the band in any way, just put the music out there a bit more...I just cannot see that as a bad thing.

Of course Maylor can do what they wish. As far as QAL I say live and let live but keep it separate from Queen. The lads want to play their music live and Lamberace helps them do that. Keep it separate. Same as they did with QPR. The only time I get annoyed is when Brian blithely compares/compared QAL/QPR to Queen or Adam/Paul to Freddie. It's embarrassing for him. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't know how special Freddie was. So Lamberace can hit all the notes. So what? There are days I can hit all the notes too. Doesn't mean it sounds good when I do. To my ears Adam's voice is puke-inducing when he hits the tough notes as is his vocal gymnastics and hubris on stage.

Now spreading this QAL feces on a doc about a Queen album from 1977 is just plain obnoxious and presumptuous. No, I'm not saying it's a reason to throw the whole box out of question but it's another reason for me to not buy it. I really hate being so negative. I'm going to have to post something positive on another thread because I LOVE Queen. Queen music makes me happy. Simple as that.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm

YAFF wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Of course Maylor can do what they wish. As far as QAL I say live and let live but keep it separate from Queen. The lads want to play their music live and Lamberace helps them do that. Keep it separate. Same as they did with QPR. The only time I get annoyed is when Brian blithely compares/compared QAL/QPR to Queen or Adam/Paul to Freddie. It's embarrassing for him. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't know how special Freddie was. So Lamberace can hit all the notes. So what? There are days I can hit all the notes too. Doesn't mean it sounds good when I do. To my ears Adam's voice is puke-inducing when he hits the tough notes as is his vocal gymnastics and hubris on stage.

Now spreading this QAL feces on a doc about a Queen album from 1977 is just plain obnoxious and presumptuous. No, I'm not saying it's a reason to throw the whole box out of question but it's another reason for me to not buy it. I really hate being so negative. I'm going to have to post something positive on another thread because I LOVE Queen. Queen music makes me happy. Simple as that.

I agree with you to a point: yes, I feel similarly peeved when Brian compares Adam to Freddie, but that's Brian - I think he sometimes gets lost in the excitement of a project and just gets carried away by it all. I love the man to bits (I find his morals and peaceful, compassionate approach so endearing), but I am also aware that he does like to get knee-deep in hyperbole.

And I get people don't take to Adam - his voice doesn't appeal to me either (or some of his stage antics). But this collaboration works and many fans seem to love it, so good for them.

As for the QAL performance at the end of the documentary - just see it for what it is: a marketing campaign, as well as the fact that 40 years after the release of NOTW the songs are still being sung out there. It's not worth letting one two/three minute clip ruin such a wonderful documentary for you - I mean, come on, THAT footage was bloody beautiful (Freddie singing Melancholy Blues just warmed my heart).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:50 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I think Rotten is full of it. Like most 'punks.

What utter bullshit.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I think Rotten is full of it. Like most 'punks.

What utter bullshit.

Care to elaborate? Or just wanted to add a pointless and brief little rant? Knock yourself out, bruv.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:35 pm

As regards "they must have more of this stuff", surprisingly I really don't think stuff like this is quite so abundant.

We all know that the OGWT team followed them round for about six months, recording NOTW, and the subsequent American tour. Anyone know of any other albums that had the same sort of thing happening? I suppose there was a little bit with One Vision, and the AKOM album, but that's it. They had DoRo following them around on the Magic tour, so you could make a decent hour long documentary about the Magic era, but otherwise, I think you'd be lucky to scrape together more than about twenty minutes for each album.

Not to say you couldn't squeeze it out to an hour, with interviews of any survivors you could find, but they wouldn't be like this one, they had a definite project going on "at the time" with this one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Kes wrote:As regards "they must have more of this stuff", surprisingly I really don't think stuff like this is quite so abundant.

We all know that the OGWT team followed them round for about six months, recording NOTW, and the subsequent American tour. Anyone know of any other albums that had the same sort of thing happening? I suppose there was a little bit with One Vision, and the AKOM album, but that's it. They had DoRo following them around on the Magic tour, so you could make a decent hour long documentary about the Magic era, but otherwise, I think you'd be lucky to scrape together more than about twenty minutes for each album.

Not to say you couldn't squeeze it out to an hour, with interviews of any survivors you could find, but they wouldn't be like this one, they had a definite project going on "at the time" with this one.

I watched it again, because I'm struggling to understand why I didn't really enjoy this 60 mins of cobbled together 'interviews' (now, let's be honest here, it was never their strong point, they rarely said anything of interest and Freddie always came across as really shallow in interviews). I managed 5 mins before I turned it off and watched really dull people baking cakes in the name of TV. Maybe it's me... ;)
Last edited by fairydandy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:01 pm

The NOTW one was a bit special though, with all the studio stuff, sound checks, and sequences of on-stage stuff like the video shoot for WATC, and Houston clips like My Melancholy Blues and It's Late.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Kes wrote:The NOTW one was a bit special though, with all the studio stuff, sound checks, and sequences of on-stage stuff like the video shoot for WATC, and Houston clips like My Melancholy Blues and It's Late.

No, not for me, it was boring. I tell you what would knock it out of the fucking park for me...a documentary with Brian and Roger going through 'the archive' providing anecdotes and explaining the left-behind gems that they find along the way! Can you imagine how bloody interesting that would be? To me, this documentary was just nothing out of the ordinary. Not complaining, just trying to counter all of the gushing reviews that are bewildering me! :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby P.T » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:16 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:The NOTW one was a bit special though, with all the studio stuff, sound checks, and sequences of on-stage stuff like the video shoot for WATC, and Houston clips like My Melancholy Blues and It's Late.

No, not for me, it was boring. I tell you what would knock it out of the fucking park for me...a documentary with Brian and Roger going through 'the archive' providing anecdotes and explaining the left-behind gems that they find along the way! Can you imagine how bloody interesting that would be? To me, this documentary was just nothing out of the ordinary. Not complaining, just trying to counter all of the gushing reviews that are bewildering me! :P

Yes, something like the Making of ANATO docu but for the other albums would be GREAT. Like this:

phpBB [video]

P.T
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On