New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Postby Kes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:37 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:The NOTW one was a bit special though, with all the studio stuff, sound checks, and sequences of on-stage stuff like the video shoot for WATC, and Houston clips like My Melancholy Blues and It's Late.

No, not for me, it was boring. I tell you what would knock it out of the fucking park for me...a documentary with Brian and Roger going through 'the archive' providing anecdotes and explaining the left-behind gems that they find along the way! Can you imagine how bloody interesting that would be? To me, this documentary was just nothing out of the ordinary. Not complaining, just trying to counter all of the gushing reviews that are bewildering me! :P

Think you should have gone to that "Innuendo - Back to the tapes" day. Would have been pretty much exactly what you're after.

I mean, most of these documentaries, you say you only watch the once, so why not a completely "live interactive" thing like that?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm

P.T wrote:Yes, something like the Making of ANATO docu but for the other albums would be GREAT. Like this:

Yes, that's great! I find that so much more interesting than the usual 'dwarves covered in liver and serving cocaine' nonsense.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sebastian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 am

I really liked it. It was obviously not perfect, and we could all waste loads of time pointing out the flaws, the already-seen footage and the inclusion of a loser from a reality programme and how those minutes and seconds could've been spent on something better, but all in all I liked it a lot.

Highlights:

Spoiler! :
- Recording footage from 'It's Late' and Roger's expression.
- Frederick on the original BHM. A shame we didn't get to hear what he was playing.
- The mix.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am

Initial reaction was one of joy at seeing so much unseen footage of the band I love at a creative peak. Really need to sit down and watch it again there was just so much to take in, again I thought Freddie just shone like the star we all knew he was, so much charisma in one man!

I do think like I'm sure others do that it was way to short, there must be hours and hours of footage left in the vault. I really do believe QPL have again missed a huge opportunity to get this footage out there, I don't believe for one minute we will ever get to see it now. What was shown on the BBC should be a TV edit and the NOTW box set version should be a more detailed account of that period of Queen's history. Similar to what was done with The Magic Years, an hour long edit for TV and then perhaps 3 volumes for the Box Set.

It could've been broken down into perhaps 3 or 4 hour long sections like below

1977 - Queen in the Studio
1977 - Queen Tour Rehearsals and Interviews
1977 - Queen On Tour in America
1977 - Bonus Disk WWRY, WATC and SYW Videos + Making of Documentaries

It will be interesting to see what the version in the box turns out to be, will it be slightly different, will Q+AL be on it? We will find out very shortly.

PS I also believe the Box Set was the perfect vehicle to release the complete Houston show, I now believe this will never be released in it's entirety (Hope I'm proven wrong)

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Echoplex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:Initial reaction was one of joy at seeing so much unseen footage of the band I love at a creative peak. Really need to sit down and watch it again there was just so much to take in, again I thought Freddie just shone like the star we all knew he was, so much charisma in one man!

I do think like I'm sure others do that it was way to short, there must be hours and hours of footage left in the vault. I really do believe QPL have again missed a huge opportunity to get this footage out there, I don't believe for one minute we will ever get to see it now. What was shown on the BBC should be a TV edit and the NOTW box set version should be a more detailed account of that period of Queen's history. Similar to what was done with The Magic Years, an hour long edit for TV and then perhaps 3 volumes for the Box Set.

It could've been broken down into perhaps 3 or 4 hour long sections like below

1977 - Queen in the Studio
1977 - Queen Tour Rehearsals and Interviews
1977 - Queen On Tour in America
1977 - Bonus Disk WWRY, WATC and SYW Videos + Making of Documentaries

It will be interesting to see what the version in the box turns out to be, will it be slightly different, will Q+AL be on it? We will find out very shortly.

PS I also believe the Box Set was the perfect vehicle to release the complete Houston show, I now believe this will never be released in it's entirety (Hope I'm proven wrong)

I really enjoyed it but felt, like a lot of recent Queen related stuff, we are being allowed to look through a window rather than open the door and step inside. Genisis and the BBC filmed a documentary around three or four Genisis shows including Knebworth on the And Then There Were Three tour. It was only an hour long but watching it again it allows the viewer far more access to the album, live experience and day to day on tour life of both band and crew.

Magic Years was spread over three videos because three hours wouldn't fit the format easily otherwise. The NOTW thing would probably fit on one DVD of 90 to 120 mins covering what you suggested. It would make the huge Boxset price easier to swallow, though not as worthy of the money as Metallica's Master Of Puppets set at twenty quid more!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ian R » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

sebastian wrote:Highlights:
- Recording footage from 'It's Late' and Roger's expression.
:lol: :lol:

Ian R
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Did someone fart in the studio?! Priceless! Litreally laughing out loud at his face :funny2:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:47 am

Like a muppet I completely forgot this was on, but luckily iPlayer came to my rescue.

I thought it was OK. I was already disappointed when they said it was going to focus on the US tour rather than the making of the album itself, although I was glad to see the latter did at least get some attention. Nothing in it felt especially revelatory though.

The best bits were the behind the scenes peeks at the band developing the songs in the studio. Once it moved away to the tour I lost most of my interest (although the soundchecks and Houston snippets were good). Also I occasionally got the feeling there was too much filler in between the good bits; lots of extended sections of people walking down corridors or pushing boxes around. And how many times did I need to see limousines driving down a freeway? I'm not arguing against stuff like that being included because it helps set the scene, but some of the shots seemed really needlessly drawn out.

There was also a couple of bizarre moments where it showed the band rehearsing a song for the live show, then instead of cutting to them actually playing that song for the crowd, it cut to the studio version with some stock footage. I was really scratching my head over that one, it seemed like such a counter-intuitive bit of editing. Fortunately after the first couple of instances of this they did actually start leading into complimentary live footage, as you'd expect.

Loved seeing everyone playing everyone else's instruments, though. Probably the only bit that genuinely wowed me. Freddie drumming and Roger on the Red Special was a hoot.

As for the stuff about Lambert being tacked on... Without even touching on my own opinions, it simply felt completely out of place in a documentary billed as a long-lost restored piece from the 70s. I get why they did it - to sell the tour - but it felt tasteless and incongruous and really brought you out of it.

Certainly nothing like as good as the excellent Days of Our Lives documentary, which tellingly already contained quite a bit of the best footage from this.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:37 am

I'd almost forgotten just how much of a warbler Lambert is until I had the misfortune of hearing him sing on this documentary that didn't concern him.

Urgh.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby JLP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:I'd almost forgotten just how much of a warbler Lambert is until I had the misfortune of hearing him sing on this documentary that didn't concern him.

Urgh.

Yeah I don't really know why they put him on the end. It isn't as if they need to promote the tour. Should have been Freddie from circa 1977.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:I'd almost forgotten just how much of a warbler Lambert is until I had the misfortune of hearing him sing on this documentary that didn't concern him.

Yeah, because it was Lambert's decision to be in the documentary. Obviously. :roll:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

musicalprostitute wrote:

Yeah, because it was Lambert's decision to be in the documentary. Obviously. :roll:

I didn't imply that it was.

Though, if you want to go down that route, he'll have signed a release notice for that footage in some form or another.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

I didn't imply that it was.

Though, if you want to go down that route, he'll have signed a release notice for that footage in some form or another.

But you stated that he sang on a documentary that did not concern him; my answer is that it is more to do with Brian, Roger and QPL rather than Adam - if he signed a release notice or not. So your 'beef' is with QPL more than Adam then? Fair enough.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Cool Cat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Roger pissed up and chatting up the girls :lol: ' get in there my son ' :mrgreen:

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:But you stated that he sang on a documentary that did not concern him; my answer is that it is more to do with Brian, Roger and QPL rather than Adam - if he signed a release notice or not. So your 'beef' is with QPL more than Adam then? Fair enough.

To clarify my position on this.

I have absolutely no beef with Adam Lambert. I'm sure he's a lovely person. I don't personally feel he's right for the band, and don't believe that his voice - though obviously impressive - suits the songs he's being asked to sing.

I do have a beef with the Queen name being used to perpetuate the warbling, but at the same time, Brian and Roger can do whatever they damn well want, even if I reserve the right to say it's shite.
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On