New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: New NOTW documentary november 3rd on BBC4

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am

Kes wrote:I think quite a few of those interviews WEREN'T from 1977.

Agreed - I think if one assumed that anything one didn't see being said was recently recorded retrospective, one wouldn't be far off.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby AngelR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 am

Bri wrote:
JLP wrote:
AngelR wrote:Everyone is still watching the concert. Brian's "Three blind mice" solo is exquisite :D

Are you serious? I was out on my future son in law's stag night but I would have preferred to be out on my daughter's hen night than watching QAL. :lol:

True Queen fans would have been watching the documentary rather than a show where the singer forgets the words.

They meant the Queen concert being shown after the documentary.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Dave Mack » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Can't watch it here in the States sadly. But just read this review...

http://theartsdesk.com/new-music-tv/que ... t-rock-you

Dave Mack
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bri » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:21 pm

AngelR wrote:Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

And yet you still replied after I commented this.....sigh.....
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Postby Good Apothecary Man » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I never imagined I would be as moved as I was watching the boys - so young and alive and full of positivity and hunger - in the studio or backstage, etc.

I found it entertaining, but nothing special. I liked seeing them in the studio, but for the most part, they had nothing interesting to say.

In my humble opinion, a brilliant documentary – a must-watch for Queen fans, young and not-so-young. I have to say to fairydandy: what is there not to get excited about here?

It’s not my favourite Queen period musically (that’s ’74-’76) but these were my formative months as a Queen fan: News Of The World was the first ‘new’ (as opposed to already released) Queen album I bought and this was the first tour I went to.

Nowadays Queen are ubiquitous. It wasn’t always the case. It’s worth remembering that, back then, we were feeding on scraps: no internet with everything just a click away, no video tapes, not even a live album to play. ‘Experiencing’ Queen as an eleven-year-old consisted of the six albums and one non-album song, two paperbacks, a few fan-club magazines with black-and-white pictures and nuggets of information, a colour fan-club biography and (eventually) the tour programme to enjoy.

And that was pretty much it – except for my recording of the two-hour Radio 1 interview. I missed most of the Peel session. There was little or no coverage in the music press. The latest single might or might not be played on Top Of The Pops, Swap Shop or Tiswas. I don’t even think Hammersmith ’75 was re-broadcast until 1984; if it was, I didn’t see or hear it.

Nowadays, we’re used to instant gratification, daily tweets and posts from and about our heroes, behind-the-scenes footage, anything and everything revealed and explained for us. Nothing new; no surprises. Back then, weeks – months – went by without seeing or hearing anything new. That’s how it was.

This footage took me right back to those days, brought back a million memories and deepened my understanding and appreciation of the band – seeing for the first time scenes that previously existed for me only as black-and-white photographs or as words on a page. It’s hard, without sounding ridiculously sentimental, to put into words the exhilarating, joyous, life-affirming, Queen-affirming (spot on, musicalprostitute) effect of watching newly-released music and footage of this sumptuous quality from way back when.

If you haven't yet seen it and you're a fan: prepare for a real treat.

I was going to abstain from playing News Of The World until 17 November. I was.
"Steel yourself: this is valid"

Good Apothecary Man
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Good Apothecary Man wrote:I have to say to fairydandy: what is there not to get excited about here?

I would ask the reverse? I only want new music now, nothing else will do. :? For me, it was ok, but nothing special and certainly not life-changing, as some seem to suggest. ;)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:20 pm

I thought it was quite good. Loads of stuff I'd never seen before and Freddie just adorable.
That crap at the end though, with Lambert 'singing' was fucking embarrassing.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Good Apothecary Man wrote:In my humble opinion, a brilliant documentary – a must-watch for Queen fans, young and not-so-young. I have to say to fairydandy: what is there not to get excited about here?

It’s not my favourite Queen period musically (that’s ’74-’76) but these were my formative months as a Queen fan: News Of The World was the first ‘new’ (as opposed to already released) Queen album I bought and this was the first tour I went to.

Nowadays Queen are ubiquitous. It wasn’t always the case. It’s worth remembering that, back then, we were feeding on scraps: no internet with everything just a click away, no video tapes, not even a live album to play. ‘Experiencing’ Queen as an eleven-year-old consisted of the six albums and one non-album song, two paperbacks, a few fan-club magazines with black-and-white pictures and nuggets of information, a colour fan-club biography and (eventually) the tour programme to enjoy.

And that was pretty much it – except for my recording of the two-hour Radio 1 interview. I missed most of the Peel session. There was little or no coverage in the music press. The latest single might or might not be played on Top Of The Pops, Swap Shop or Tiswas. I don’t even think Hammersmith ’75 was re-broadcast until 1984; if it was, I didn’t see or hear it.

Nowadays, we’re used to instant gratification, daily tweets and posts from and about our heroes, behind-the-scenes footage, anything and everything revealed and explained for us. Nothing new; no surprises. Back then, weeks – months – went by without seeing or hearing anything new. That’s how it was.

This footage took me right back to those days, brought back a million memories and deepened my understanding and appreciation of the band – seeing for the first time scenes that previously existed for me only as black-and-white photographs or as words on a page. It’s hard, without sounding ridiculously sentimental, to put into words the exhilarating, joyous, life-affirming, Queen-affirming (spot on, musicalprostitute) effect of watching newly-released music and footage of this sumptuous quality from way back when.

If you haven't yet seen it and you're a fan: prepare for a real treat.

I was going to abstain from playing News Of The World until 17 November. I was.

Well stated.

For me, this short (all too brief!) film is one of the finest things to come out of Queen Towers for a fair while.

And you know what really struck me? And what brought one or two tears to my eyes? The fact that there they were all so young and full of energy and so seemingly close - they still looked like a band of brothers at this stage of their career, before they all started getting on each others nerves a little.

And the footage of Freddie on drums whilst Roger played guitar was nothing short of wonderful. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:I thought it was quite good. Loads of stuff I'd never seen before and Freddie just adorable.
That crap at the end though, with Lambert 'singing' was fucking embarrassing.

Freddie is always adorable.

As for your distaste at seeing QAL at the end: they would have been major numpties had they not included this for the TV version - I mean, they are selling two things on the back of this: the tour and the box set. I can easily see why they included this couple of minutes on a TV special...and it's not as if it took anything away from the wonderful, rare footage we all witnessed.

Bloody great little film this.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dave76 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Now that i've watched this beautiful (and way too short) documentary, the question now is, will the documentary in the boxset be the same or does it contain some extra bits? Someone on QZ said that this was NOT the documentary in the boxset although the running time on both is the same. We'll find out in less than 2 weeks.
Shame that they showed so little because there are hours and hours of outtakes with Bob and the band. The individual interviews, the album launch party. So much more has been shot and kept under wraps.

dave76
Spread Your Wings

Postby Faellie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Dave Mack wrote:Can't watch it here in the States sadly. But just read this review...

http://theartsdesk.com/new-music-tv/que ... t-rock-you

A somewhat ungenerous assessment in that review, I think.

For instance: ""There really wasn’t much sex,” recalled Roger Taylor" is misleadingly taken from the RT quote "There really wasn't much sex and drugs - well, there wasn't much drugs", in order to try to prove that Queen were dull accountant types.

musicalprostitute wrote:
Good Apothecary Man wrote:And you know what really struck me? And what brought one or two tears to my eyes? The fact that there they were all so young and full of energy and so seemingly close - they still looked like a band of brothers at this stage of their career, before they all started getting on each others nerves a little.

And the footage of Freddie on drums whilst Roger played guitar was nothing short of wonderful. :)

I think this is spot on - to me too the four band members came across as a close-knit family making common cause on their way to conquer the world.

Unless my eyes deceived me, Roger was playing the Red Special when Freddie was on drums. All four of them were extraordinarily talented multi-instrumentalist musicians and composers - true successors to the Beatles and succeeded by no-one.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Faellie wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:And you know what really struck me? And what brought one or two tears to my eyes? The fact that there they were all so young and full of energy and so seemingly close - they still looked like a band of brothers at this stage of their career, before they all started getting on each others nerves a little.

I think this is spot on - to me too the four band members came across as a close-knit family making common cause on their way to conquer the world.

Unless my eyes deceived me, Roger was playing the Red Special when Freddie was on drums. All four of them were extraordinarily talented multi-instrumentalist musicians and composers - true successors to the Beatles and succeeded by no-one.

Wholeheartedly agree about Queen being the true successors to The Beatles (and I honestly think this will be the standard view in time); I have stated before - and been shot down by many - that, for me, Queen are on the same par as The Beatles anyway: I know The Beatles did things first and Queen were obviously influenced by them, but Queen did not simply emulate them, they took things to a new level and created tracks that I don't think even The Beatles could do (and I respect and love The Beatles, along with every other music fan).

But, back to the documentary. I just found it all quite bloody emotional: seeing them so together and united and hungry for world domination...before they became a little jaded with it all. And that last line from Freddie: 'The show goes on' moved me too - 14 years later he would be singing virtually the same line, but under very different, tragic and far less happy circumstances.

And all that footage of them singing and playing together in the studio (especially Freddie singing Melancholy Blues, with all that added raw emotion)...simply beautiful.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Faellie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 pm

I once heard a story of someone being asked to name the most underrated band of all time and they said "The Beatles".

Should have said Queen, of course!

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 pm

A genuine question now...were members of Queen close in the NOTW era? I read often about the band became closer n the latter part of their career, not so much mid to late 70s.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby dave76 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:14 pm

They became closer when Freddie got ill and they really protected him from all bad publicity. After NOTW it went a bit downhill and especially during the Hot Space era they had trouble working together and each one went their seperate way after that.

dave76
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On