Freddie All Dead All Dead on Radio 2

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Freddie All Dead All Dead on Radio 2

Postby sebastian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Welshqueenfan wrote:Sebastian, your the only person ive ever seen refer to freddie as 'fredrick'.

It doesn't make it wrong, though.

At some point in his adult life, 'Frederick Bulsara' (as stated on the first contract he signed with the Sheffield brothers) was his legal name, later changed to 'Frederick Mercury' (as shown on the contract severance signed a few years later, not to mention his death certificate). At some point someone else may have referred to him as Frederick (e.g. a customs officer at some airport, since, presumably, 'Frederick Mercury' was the name on his passport).

Calling him Frederick, Freddie, Fred, FM, Mr Mercury, Lord Teeth, King Mercury, Fredos, Fred'rick, Earl Overbite... they're all technically correct as long as we all know who we're talking about. Amongst all of them, 'Frederick' has the advantage of being the actual name on his ID.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:36 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
action wrote:you're trolling, right?

No.

Freddie's voice overpowers the song. Brian's quieter tone suits it better if you ask me.

There are definitely certain Queen tracks that are suited to one band member more than another. I love this version of All Dead, but I can see why others prefer the original. I always think Brian does the whimsical, folky, soft songs naturally; whereas Freddie certainly liked to throw everything at a song (with added drama!): one example of this is Too Much Love Will Kill You - I much prefer Brian's more subtle version as opposed to Freddie's more dramatic take.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 am

sebastian wrote:
Calling him Frederick, Freddie, Fred, FM, Mr Mercury, Lord Teeth, King Mercury, Fredos, Fred'rick, Earl Overbite...

Lord Lucan is one of my favourites (thanks Smash Hits!).

On the topic of names: I am sure I recall reading somewhere that he hated being referred to as Fred (he thought it sounded rather common - which sounds about right); don't know how true this is, but thought it worth a little mention.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:07 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:
action wrote:you're trolling, right?

No.

Freddie's voice overpowers the song. Brian's quieter tone suits it better if you ask me.

There are definitely certain Queen tracks that are suited to one band member more than another. I love this version of All Dead, but I can see why others prefer the original. I always think Brian does the whimsical, folky, soft songs naturally; whereas Freddie certainly liked to throw everything at a song (with added drama!): one example of this is Too Much Love Will Kill You - I much prefer Brian's more subtle version as opposed to Freddie's more dramatic take.

I agree. Brian's version of Too Much Love is far more emotional than the Queen version. You can hear the pain in his voice.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 pm

JLP wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

I agree. Brian's version of Too Much Love is far more emotional than the Queen version. You can hear the pain in his voice.

You can certainly hear the emotion in Brian's version (remember when he sang it at the Freddie tribute? You could hear his voice breaking with the emotion of the event and of the song itself); I even prefer the more subtle guitar work on Brian's version - less is definitely more in this case.

I think there are many Queen tracks which, I think, would have packed more of an emotional punch had they reigned it in a bit: Take My Breath Away being one that - although a beautiful track - would have benefitted from a more simple approach, I feel.

And then you have the big hitters like The Show Must Go On, which, to me, deserves to be as dramatic as it is...the main thing is the emotion is there and it is raw and real.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Good Apothecary Man » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 pm

I think there are many Queen tracks which, I think, would have packed more of an emotional punch had they reigned it in a bit: Take My Breath Away being one that - although a beautiful track - would have benefitted from a more simple approach, I feel.

Never better than Freddie's Hyde Park rendition of it, in my opinion - with beautiful falsetto touches that I don't think he attempted on the subsequent American and European tours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GymG5y0Yt8
"Steel yourself: this is valid"

Good Apothecary Man
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm

YTMBA, truly a great composition. It is songs like this
that for me makes Queen such an interesting band.
The lyrics reminds me of my first real crush, a girl I fell in love with. I could give up all my life for just one kiss.. that is for sure.

As with My Melancholy Blues. I remember the first time I saw a video recording of this song. It was on a VHS cassette, Rare Live from 1989. I did not see it before the early 90s, maybe around 1992. Magical times, no internet, no cellular phones, no streaming, just a video cassette and all the info I had to read on the outer cover.

It was around that time I discovered Queen, and fell in love with the music. Before that I did not know anything about the band. I was just a little kid then. Wonderful times. Then I got Box of Flix (double VHS) and the Champions Of The World documentary, VHS from 1995.

The first ever Queen song I heard was believe it or not, Thank God It's Christmas. I heard it on a cassette tape, recorded from the top hits list on the radio. But I did not know the bands name until years later . I just liked the song.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby stagnation » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:24 am

TheHero wrote:As with My Melancholy Blues. I remember the first time I saw a video recording of this song. It was on a VHS cassette, Rare Live from 1989. I did not see it before the early 90s, maybe around 1992. Magical times, no internet, no cellular phones, no streaming, just a video cassette and all the info I had to read on the outer cover.

It was around that time I discovered Queen, and fell in love with the music. Before that I did not know anything about the band. I was just a little kid then. Wonderful times. Then I got Box of Flix (double VHS) and the Champions Of The World documentary, VHS from 1995.

'Rare Live' was also my introduction to some of the deep cuts of Queen. It was a similar time that i got into Queen around 1992/1993 and i had the two greatest hits albums and flix videos. I then got 'Rare Live' and played it to death. I know 'Rare Live' gets a lot of wrap due it's editing and inaccuracies but at the time there wasn't many Queen concert videos out there.

I think there was only Flix 1&2, The EP videos, Magic Years, Budapest and "We Will Rock You" not much from the 70s really. Of course you could stump up the cash for the "Box Of Tricks" set to get the edited Rainbow gig but that was out of the question when you were a poor teenager.

I would love to see more product like this gathering up all the snippets of Queen live from all eras. Of course i want to see full concerts too.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:14 pm

I loved Rare Live. I liked the concept of showing clips from various shows. And the cover art was the best ever!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Havent had the chance to respond. LOVE this version. Freddie is just flat out amazing. What he can do with a song is rivaled by no one.

With that being said, I get people who enjoy Brian's vocal better as to fitting the song. I have no problem with that. It's subjective afterall. Myself I think they are equal for different reasons...

Either way, isn't it nice to have both? (well, all 3 if you count the hybrid....)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 pm

soxtalon wrote:Havent had the chance to respond. LOVE this version. Freddie is just flat out amazing. What he can do with a song is rivaled by no one.

Absolutely agree. Brian's ok, his version works, but this is in a different league. It's the most excited I have been since someone sent me an email with 'I Guess We're Falling Out' on it, ooh 15 or so years ago.

I asked Greg Brooks on here many years ago, if there was a more complete version of IGWFO and he said 'yes, I think so'. Well, I long to hear it, I absolutely love, love, love that track. These tracks aren't perfect of course, and they don't have to be, but it's Freddie and we love him.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Action This Day » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 am

TheHero wrote:I loved Rare Live. I liked the concept of showing clips from various shows. And the cover art was the best ever!

Another one who loved Rare Live here! I got it for my 13th birthday. It was my introduction to a lot of Queen's early material as I only had Greatest Hits and Live Magic then. I remember the sight of a 1973 Freddie with long hair, nail polish and shaved chest during Liar was quite shocking when I had been used to Magic era Freddie :lol:

The cover art was awesome. At the time I found it hard to believe it was a painting, the instruments looked so real.

What a shame that Rare Live turned out to be what we got instead of a Miracle tour :-(

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Jimi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 am

TheHero wrote:I loved Rare Live. I liked the concept of showing clips from various shows. And the cover art was the best ever!

yes it was
and still is.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 am

Action This Day wrote:

Another one who loved Rare Live here! I got it for my 13th birthday. It was my introduction to a lot of Queen's early material as I only had Greatest Hits and Live Magic then. I remember the sight of a 1973 Freddie with long hair, nail polish and shaved chest during Liar was quite shocking when I had been used to Magic era Freddie :lol:

The cover art was awesome. At the time I found it hard to believe it was a painting, the instruments looked so real.

What a shame that Rare Live turned out to be what we got instead of a Miracle tour :-(

I wish it ha ben the Miracle album sleeve instead of that abomination !

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I love the cover art to The Miracle. It's incredibly arresting. Certainly unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Rare Live's cover on the other hand is really quite generic. I've seen a lot of albums with the same "let's pile our instruments up and take a photo"-style cover artwork.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On