Freddie All Dead All Dead on Radio 2

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Freddie All Dead All Dead on Radio 2

Postby sbrown » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:45 am

Guru wrote:The obvious question is "how many other B/R sung tracks did Freddie have a go at?"

My other question is why didn't Brian sing the full lyric

There's definitely a Freddie version of Rock It(Prime Jive). That was confirmed a couple of years ago by Greg I think.
It will probably never be released but there's also a Freddie version of Polar Bear. Not that Brian sang it, but you know what I mean.

I'd say Brian left the "Memories..." bit off the start because the piano intro has a wonderful rubato which would be extremely hard to be sympathetic to without sounding like it's forced. I'm purely guessing that there are a dozen takes of him trying to get it right, and then deciding the piano spoke for itself and the lyrics hold a nice presence on the sleeve. And that is art :)

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby CoolCat27 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:57 pm

This is just wonderful.

Gorgeous vocals by Freddie and an absolutely charming animated video.

I'd kill for more releases like this.

Freddie could sing the phone book and it'd be extraordinary.

Thank you, Queen Productions!
"We learned more in the pool halls than we did in the school halls."

CoolCat27
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:07 pm

AngelR wrote:
Kes wrote:The point isn't what Brian and Roger are up to when they're on tour with Mr Lambert, but more a case of what they definitely AREN'T up to, when they're on tour with Mr Lambert, ie working on the stuff that most of us "old Queen" fans, are hoping might one day get released.

So you think they should please you first? :D

On the grounds that I've followed them (them being the version with the goofy one) since 1974 (more than just a fucking number!), and the fact that at 57, I probably don't have as much of a time frame to wait too much longer, compared to a teen-something, twenty-something, or stretching the imagination, thirty-something.

I understand.... AL might well be a "now" thing, and in thirty years time, people might be going "Adam who?", I'll offer my sadness to you for that possibility, but by then, I'll be worms, and would like to think something I started off with, had run its full course, not been elongated beyond my lifespan, by a "distraction".

"Queen", it's what came first. Without it, Queen + Adam Lambert wouldn't exist. Without the fans that followed "Queen", they probably wouldn't be backing Adam Lambert. So yes, maybe they should remember where they came from, and at least "try" to please some of their original fanbase, while that "some of them" are still alive.

Problem is, they probably like the thought of being "legends" too much, and you don't become a legend if your memory dies with all your followers. Best reason I can think of why they're still touring. Trying to rope in younger people who'll spread the word for them.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Back to the "raw" versions.

The reason a lot of them are "as they are", is because usually, the last thing put on the track was the lead vocal, so in the main, they'd finish a backing track before anyone attempted a possible "final" lead vocal. That was kind of made very evident to me at the Innuendo Tapes thing. Sometimes, they might have a VERY rough guide vocal while they were building the backing track, but it WOULD be a very rough vocal, and maybe they wouldn't like people to hear that.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Kes wrote:
AngelR wrote:
Kes wrote:The point isn't what Brian and Roger are up to when they're on tour with Mr Lambert, but more a case of what they definitely AREN'T up to, when they're on tour with Mr Lambert, ie working on the stuff that most of us "old Queen" fans, are hoping might one day get released.

So you think they should please you first? :D

On the grounds that I've followed them (them being the version with the goofy one) since 1974 (more than just a fucking number!), and the fact that at 57, I probably don't have as much of a time frame to wait too much longer, compared to a teen-something, twenty-something, or stretching the imagination, thirty-something.

I understand.... AL might well be a "now" thing, and in thirty years time, people might be going "Adam who?", I'll offer my sadness to you for that possibility, but by then, I'll be worms, and would like to think something I started off with, had run its full course, not been elongated beyond my lifespan, by a "distraction".

"Queen", it's what came first. Without it, Queen + Adam Lambert wouldn't exist. Without the fans that followed "Queen", they probably wouldn't be backing Adam Lambert. So yes, maybe they should remember where they came from, and at least "try" to please some of their original fanbase, while that "some of them" are still alive.

Problem is, they probably like the thought of being "legends" too much, and you don't become a legend if your memory dies with all your followers. Best reason I can think of why they're still touring. Trying to rope in younger people who'll spread the word for them.

Legends before all the +'s and collaborations, and personally I'm glad for that. The music is living on without AL. It did before, and will after AL and +s. The music is still included on adverts, TV shows and film, being played on radio...it's hardly forgotten.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Action This Day » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this but anyway:

I don't like Freddie's version of All Dead, All Dead.

Maybe it's because I'm so used to Brian's vocals on what is one of my top 3 tracks on NOTW but Freddie's voice doesn't suit the song at all IMO.

Freddie's version is very interesting and I'm glad they released it. But I think they made the right decision in 1977 letting Brian sing it. Also the 'memories' lyrics don't work for me and they were rightly removed.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby WeeMann » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Action This Day wrote:I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this but anyway:

Maybe it's because I'm so used to Brian's vocals on what is one of my top 3 tracks on NOTW but Freddie's voice doesn't suit the song at all IMO.

Freddie's version is very interesting and I'm glad they released it. But I think they made the right decision in 1977 letting Brian sing it. Also the 'memories' lyrics don't work for me and they were rightly removed.

I'm with you. Ultimately they made all the right decisions, although I do like this version. I just think Brian did it better.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby YAFF » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Action This Day wrote:I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this but anyway:

Have to disagree. The emotion in Freddie's voice really matches the song's sentiment. It's supposed to be a sad song. Brian's version is lovely while Freddie's is heart wrenching. Remember also this wasn't meant to be the final vocal. It is certainly raw.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AlexKx » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:22 am

So why are Freddie's vocals shot on this? Was this more evidence of his voice losing the quality he had in the early years?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:51 am

As Sebastian has already pointed out, this wasn't a "final" lead vocal, and might be the only take they have of Freddie trying it.

It's kind of a bit like trying to get Usain Bolt to do a 100m race straight off an 18 hour flight, and expecting him to be within 0.2 of a world record time. It might take four or five takes, or even more to get a really good performance.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:45 am

Kes wrote:It's kind of a bit like trying to get Usain Bolt to do a 100m race straight off an 18 hour flight, and expecting him to be within 0.2 of a world record time. It might take four or five takes, or even more to get a really good performance.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:58 pm

sbrown wrote:There's definitely a Freddie version of Rock It(Prime Jive).

I think the story was that they recorded a 'Freddie version' and a 'Roger version', and then couldn't make up their minds on which one to keep, and then the rest is history.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby BitterTears » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm

I know it's all about Freddie for some of you but I'd be equally intrigued to hear some songs Freddie sang on the album but Roger or Brian sang the vocal guide and/or an alternative vocal for. Been one or two leaked already of course but wonder what else is in the vault.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Welshqueenfan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Freddie must have sang every Queen song, then they decided to go with roger or brian respectively on their songs, and I wonder if any recordings exist because they used to record over tapes in the early years.
I love all dead all dead with freddie singing, its always been in my top 5 Queen songs, but this is pure magic, although freddie uses a lot of vibrato in his voice which I havent heard in any song before, it actually sounds like marc martel doing an impression of him!

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby 1sharppencil » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:25 am

Was moved enough to post on the Forum after eons - what an outtake.

I wonder if the Raw Sessions will be released on the digital markets, like WWRY/WATC...
it's so easy...

1sharppencil
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On