Who is next for Queen+?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:50 pm

YAFF wrote:
:roll: Maybe this link will help your malady

https://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/d ... -grandeur/


Bless: look at you finding links to prove your 'point': you really needn't go to such effort to reply to me, but, again, I completely understand why you have to.

Just lighten up a little, son. No need to get all stressed and hot-headed - this is just a little forum with differing opinions...don't take it so seriously. Come on, live a little and have some fun! :) :) :lol: :lol: :)
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 2933
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm

YAFF wrote:
Did you honestly expect to be welcome here? It's very common for longtime fans of a band to resist mightily the band trying to replace a key member. Especially the singer. Freddie is pretty much sacred to a lot of us and he has very few peers. Adam is not one of them. Even a bona fide great singer like Paul Rodgers was rejected by a large percentage of folks. It's just the way it is. For some bands you just don't replace the singer. You don't replace Robert Plant. You don't replace John Lennon. You couldn't replace Roger Daltrey or Mick Jagger or Bono or Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain. It is just absurd to try. Freddie *is* for many people Queen. Why do you think almost all the DVDs have a pic of Freddie? The decision to carry on as Queen + was always going to be controversial. When I hear QAL I'm not hearing Queen- sure there's traces of it from Roger's backing vocals and Brian's guitar licks but Lambert's tone is completely different than Freddie's. I will say one positive thing tho'. I'm actually glad it's like this rather than hire a soundalike like Marc Martel. Queen are not Journey. Still I read lots of comments of Queen fans wanting Martel to replace Lambert. Not here but elsewhere.

It's not impossible to replace the singer. Ronnie James Dio replaced Ozzy Osbourne and arguably made the band greater but he had to prove himself first. Deep Purple too. But we are talking about amazing singers like Dio and David Coverdale. Nicki79, this is Queenonline not QALonline. Will you stick around once QAL is no more?

I would still read here, so yes. I've been doing so for years now. And I did find useful information and insight into many things about Queen. I would certainly check out regularly, what they would be up to. I just happen to love their music. Just for now, my favourite album is Queen II, closely followed by The Game. I do to like rock-music more than pop. That's also a reason why I would love it, if QAL would finally record new music. You know, I don't really like Adam's pop stuff. I really like the man, his singing and watching him on stage, but for me, his own music could be...better/different?

And I agree with you about the things you wrote about replacing a frontman.
It seems also easier, when the guy isn't dead, hadn't worked for about 20 years with the band before and hasn't gotten god-status (for some).
I experienced these feelings with another band (where it actually did work in the end, but as you said, the "replacement" was a lot closer in age and style and recognition than with QAL).
But in the end it is, what Brian and Roger decided.
Plus: Only looking backward by playing the old songs, doesn't help this either. So again: new music would give them more credit. Even if it's not for everybody.
 
Nicki79
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

As for new music by QAL: Roger seems to have said, that they actually did record something in Nashville. Plus Adam had been in a studio in London last year directly after a QAL-tour, maybe the rest of them was there, too.
I don't know, if it's true. Somehow I don't believe, that QAL would do a whole album.

Roger: Seems to be up to it.
Brian: Not really, after the experience with TCR.
Adam: Hesitant, said that this wouldn't be Queen and what should they call it?

What I could possibly see, is that they did indeed record something and that it might be on Adam's new album that is due next year. That way they would be able to avoid the name "Queen" in it. Maybe a single (with good promotion) to test the waters?
 
Nicki79
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby YAFF » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Nicki79 wrote:And I agree with you about the things you wrote about replacing a frontman.
It seems also easier, when the guy isn't dead, hadn't worked for about 20 years with the band before and hasn't gotten god-status (for some). .


Yeah you nailed it about "god-status". Some bands become so iconic that it becomes like irreducible complexity. It only works and survives if all the core parts are present. Freddie himself and Queen itself are one of those greatest of all time bands ala Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, U2 (arguably), Culture Club (ha ha), etc..but only Queen has dared carrying on with the Queen name without their key member. Backlash was inevitable.

Keep in mind had Brian & Roger formed a new band name with a new singer hardly anyone would have freaked out. But after saying "Freddie can't be replaced" they most certainly did replace him no matter what they or anyone else says. Also I don't buy it that they had to use the name to play their music. Had they formed a new band name they could play Queen songs of course. Anyway it's all a moot point now as what's done is done but some of us will always resent them to some degree replacing Freddie. One can find fault with that but the fact remains.

As far as a QAL album I think if they continue touring they really should add new music to the set list. Yes, I will/would criticize them mercilessly :lol: but I understand it. And. Nicki79, I apologize for telling you to "fuck off". I didn't really intend to hurt your feelings or what-have-you. It was meant in a "get-outta-here", "fugeddaboutit" kind of way.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby JLP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Nicki79 wrote:As for new music by QAL: Roger seems to have said, that they actually did record something in Nashville. Plus Adam had been in a studio in London last year directly after a QAL-tour, maybe the rest of them was there, too.
I don't know, if it's true. Somehow I don't believe, that QAL would do a whole album.

Roger: Seems to be up to it.
Brian: Not really, after the experience with TCR.
Adam: Hesitant, said that this wouldn't be Queen and what should they call it?

What I could possibly see, is that they did indeed record something and that it might be on Adam's new album that is due next year. That way they would be able to avoid the name "Queen" in it. Maybe a single (with good promotion) to test the waters?


Did they play on a track on his last album?
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10533
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 399 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby JLP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Guys I know it is difficult to keep spats out of threads but can we draw this to a close now and get back on topic please/ As always, an impasse has been reached and no one will give up an inch. Let's call it a score draw, after extra time of course.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10533
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 399 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby YAFF » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm

JLP wrote:Guys .


How sexist!! You should not be a moderator. Shame on you!! You aren't fair to non-guys.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby JLP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:41 pm

YAFF wrote:
JLP wrote:Guys .


How sexist!! You should not be a moderator. Shame on you!! You aren't fair to non-guys.


Fuck off :lol:
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10533
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 399 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby YAFF » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

JLP wrote:
YAFF wrote:
JLP wrote:Guys .


How sexist!! You should not be a moderator. Shame on you!! You aren't fair to non-guys.


Fuck off :lol:


:lol: Indeed.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm

JLP wrote:
Did they play on a track on his last album?


Brian did. On one track called "Lucy".
But he "just" threw in his guitar-solo and didn't have any other input. Adam said, Brian had heard his demos and liked the song. I think it would help, if Brian or Roger would actually write something.
 
Nicki79
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

YAFF wrote:
As far as a QAL album I think if they continue touring they really should add new music to the set list. Yes, I will/would criticize them mercilessly :lol: but I understand it. And. Nicki79, I apologize for telling you to "fuck off". I didn't really intend to hurt your feelings or what-have-you. It was meant in a "get-outta-here", "fugeddaboutit" kind of way.


I'm sure, you would.
And thanks for the apology. I somehow had the feeling, how you meant it. But it's not always easy, because it's not only that I can't hear the tone, in which you are "telling" it. It's also, that English is my second language. So it's even harder to get.
 
Nicki79
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby fairydandy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Plus: Only looking backward by playing the old songs, doesn't help this either. So again: new music would give them more credit. Even if it's not for everybody.


There's no point in new music. The pop tart can go and do a new album whenever he likes for his ever dwindling fan-base (and let's face it, that bunch of glittery retards don't give two fux if Brian and the other one are on his album, just as long as they can bop to his latest crass, vacuous drivel in the name of pop). There can't be a Queen fan alive who would possibly want an album by them...well, no, some Queen fans will collect any old rubbish, I mean they even buy Taylor and May's solo material and pretend that it's good, so there is a few thousand copies there, I suppose. :roll:

Me, well all I want and all I have wanted since I joined this site is new Queen music from the archives (and then we get it and they expect me to pay for a silly little carboard box full of badges and tat....err, no thanks, I'll download it illegally then). I certainly don't want that shrieking fat bastard singing pop with those two old bozo's, because they really should know better after the Cosmos Flopped.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8150
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:Plus: Only looking backward by playing the old songs, doesn't help this either. So again: new music would give them more credit. Even if it's not for everybody.


There's no point in new music. The pop tart can go and do a new album whenever he likes for his ever dwindling fan-base (and let's face it, that bunch of glittery retards don't give two fux if Brian and the other one are on his album, just as long as they can bop to his latest crass, vacuous drivel in the name of pop). There can't be a Queen fan alive who would possibly want an album by them...well, no, some Queen fans will collect any old rubbish, I mean they even buy Taylor and May's solo material and pretend that it's good, so there is a few thousand copies there, I suppose. :roll:

Me, well all I want and all I have wanted since I joined this site is new Queen music from the archives (and then we get it and they expect me to pay for a silly little carboard box full of badges and tat....err, no thanks, I'll download it illegally then). I certainly don't want that shrieking fat bastard singing pop with those two old bozo's, because they really should know better after the Cosmos Flopped.


:lol:
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:Plus: Only looking backward by playing the old songs, doesn't help this either. So again: new music would give them more credit. Even if it's not for everybody.


1. There's no point in new music.

2. that shrieking fat bastard .

1. So I‘m grateful, they won’t ask you.
2. Just out of curiosity: What is it, that makes you always state and emphazise that he is „fat“ ? You must have a strange idea of a healthy body or a strange kind of humor ( or a bad eyesight). I mean, a friend of mine, who was in the first row at the gig in Munich stated, that he looked too slim. I would say he is neither.

Call him fat, if you want to and think, it’s funny.
But it’s ridiculous.
 
Nicki79
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Who is next for Queen+?

Postby Kes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Using the Queen name with Paul Rodgers, was the difference between playing places like Wembley Arena and the O2, or playing the Hammersmith Apollo and Portsmouth Guildhall.

It's that simple.

Sometimes, it's not always about the money (though that is obviously a draw), but the buzz of getting your music across to the largest number of people in the fewest number of gigs. Especially when you're nearing pensionable age.

These days live shows pay so much more than records, so if it was a flat choice between live shows, or putting out stuff like NOTW40, then they'd just be doing the shows (while they still can). So people who don't like the cost of boxsets, bear that in mind while forming your conclusions, they don't have to release ANYTHING.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14486
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 334 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron