Next live concert release?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Next live concert release?

Postby Tigerlee » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Wonder what surprises the band have in store for the market next?
There has to be tons of gigs that were recorded? (Particularly during 1979.... inc European and Japanese shows)
Following the note documentary...... I’d love to see each album deconstructed by the band so that they can go through each track on each album..... these kind of things breathe life into proper queen fans’ lives and shows a fresh take on lyrics and background to tracks & recording techniques

Tigerlee
Spread Your Wings

Re: Next live concert release?

Postby Kes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Think the main reason there wasn't a live release with NOTW, may well be the fact that along with concert releases, there can be CD, and vinyl releases, and bringing one out with NOTW would have inhibited their options.

So, personally, I'm still anticipating (at least hoping for, anyway) the concerts around the mid seventies, in some form or another.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby YAFF » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Kes wrote:Think the main reason there wasn't a live release with NOTW, may well be the fact that along with concert releases, there can be CD, and vinyl releases, and bringing one out with NOTW would have inhibited their options.

So, personally, I'm still anticipating (at least hoping for, anyway) the concerts around the mid seventies, in some form or another.

I think you hit the nail on the head in another thread when you suggested there really isn't an abundance of releasable material in the vault. It would explain so much. Then again what Brian May considers "releasable" is controversial at best. I'm jonesing for a box set of mid to late 70s live. Being that "Live Killers" was not re-issued I think it's in the works. That said the NOTW40 box was a missed opportunity if you ask me. Any ole' fucking soundboard would have been delicious.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:46 am

Oh, I do think there's quite a bit of stuff, it's just that it probably isn't consistent.

They'll be loads of demos from one period, film from another, rare live stuff in another, and so on.

When they were looking at the bonus tracks for the 2011 EPs, there were BBC sessions for the first three albums and NOTW, 12" mixes for The Works, AMOM and The Miracle, an abundance of B sides for The Miracle, and the odd ones for about four other albums. So, some albums had shitloads of stuff to cherry pick from, others had next to cock-all. They really had a patchwork quilt of things to choose from, but nothing they could do too much consistent with.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby FCB101 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Well, I really hope they give the years 1977 and 1979 the live releases those years deserve!

From what I make up they have about 30 shows from 1979: almost all Euro 1979 shows (with at least partial footage from several shows (Paris, Munich, Rotterdam, Madrid), several Japan 1979 shows and about 9 Crazy Tour show (Hammy 79 filmed). The Crazy Tour recordings are probably just stereo soundboards.

From what I make up they have at least several soundboard recordings from the NOTW 1977 tour (they now include only Sleeping on the Sidewalk in the NOTW box) with Houston also having footage!
Brian also mentions listening to recordings of their first Madison Square Garden show in his 3D book. I think he is not referring to bootlegs there.
There's Earls Court...

They must have a ton of material and I'm sure they could easily release an absolute wealth of stuff from those years. I must say I truly hope we get box sets with SEVERAL COMPLETE SHOWS for those years. I'd happily pay good money for really comprehensive box sets (not just 1 edited show!)

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm

If NOTW does well, I can imagine that Jazz will follow suit next year. Which may put a kibosh on more live stuff once again - probably for the best, considering they've released four (five including On Air) in the last decade.

But with 1979 being a 'fallow' studio year for them, I can see a live box-set covering 77-79 happening very easily, and keeping the candle burning until the inevitable reissue of The Game - there's no way they're gonna pass up a chance to give that one the deluxe treatment.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Return to The Show Must Go On