Queen in 2018 ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Queen in 2018 ?

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:09 pm

We all have different perspectives of things.

Some people absolutely love going to a concert, and having five pints before they go in.

To me, the whole point of going to a concert is to take in as much of the event as is humanly possible to take in, not to completely numb your senses with a depressant. You might just as well take your phone and a set of headphones and listen to another artist while the artist on the stage is unsuccessfully trying to impress you.

Still, each to their own. These people buy a ticket, don't they?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Kes wrote:I, personally believe that record companies and artists make comparitively VERY little from downloads, and even less from streaming

How can they make less from downloads? They have no production costs after the file is on their computer and they have no work to do at all.

I honestly hope that Jim Beach reads this forum ( I suspect that he does) because he needs to know that the band lost revenue by not releasing a digital version of NOTW 40. :?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:41 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:I, personally believe that record companies and artists make comparitively VERY little from downloads, and even less from streaming

How can they make less from downloads? They have no production costs after the file is on their computer and they have no work to do at all.

I honestly hope that Jim Beach reads this forum ( I suspect that he does) because he needs to know that the band lost revenue by not releasing a digital version of NOTW 40. :?

No, I'm pretty sure Jim Beach doesn't read this forum, but at least three people who often talk to him, do.

I've researched the previous point, and on a $0.99 download from iTunes, the artist gets about 10%, usually a little less, so yes, Apple DO make absolutely truckloads for doing VERY fucking little. No talent scouting, no A&R budget, no promotion, no manufacturing or distribution costs. They let everyone else do the work, and then hijack all the money. Sorted!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Echoplex » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Kes wrote:I, personally believe that record companies and artists make comparitively VERY little from downloads, and even less from streaming, compared to the companies that host such services. Apple have pretty much got it wrapped, and then to add insult to injury, they avoid paying tax on the vast sums they milk out of the music industry.

It's become a necessary evil to be involved with it, because otherwise the artists would get cock all from the traffic of their music at all.

As regards the consumer, it's all a matter of personal choice. At home, when it comes to just audio listening, I don't play digital music AT ALL. The whole concept of it is repulsive to me. If it doesn't go on a good old fashioned turntable, then it doesn't get played. I appreciate that others might actually like an empty house, but I enjoy having stuff I've worked for, around me. Personal choice.

Anyway, your analogy of a bag of coal, would have been better suited if you had downloaded a picture of a nice warm fireplace, as that would be about as real, in the physical world, as a downloaded piece of music.

:lookround:

This ^^^

I have a friend who is a professional musician. I was falling to him a few months ago and he was saying that the income the band he is in generate from selling there music has dropped two thirds in five years because of the lack of physical sales. The percentage paid on streaming and down loads is a fraction of what is already a small cost.

It's no secret that in an attempt to secure more physical sales the industry has pushed vinyl (at twice the price of a new released CD) as an attempt to claw back some revenue.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 pm

I think going back a few years, I heard people saying the artist only got about 3% from online sales, so at least the situation must have got better, but it still doesn't make it right.

Anyway, the point I was making was that I, personally, prefer physical sales. I actually like seeing something in my sweaty mitts, when I buy something. Not the thought that I've spent money on something that doesn't actually exist, other than in the form of a series of 0s and 1s. Fucking computers have slowly taken over my working life and home life, and given the choice, I'm holding onto my own little bit of the real world, before Cyberdyne Systems take over everything else.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Kes wrote:I think going back a few years, I heard people saying the artist only got about 3% from online sales, so at least the situation must have got better, but it still doesn't make it right.

Anyway, the point I was making was that I, personally, prefer physical sales. I actually like seeing something in my sweaty mitts, when I buy something. Not the thought that I've spent money on something that doesn't actually exist, other than in the form of a series of 0s and 1s. Fucking computers have slowly taken over my working life and home life, and given the choice, I'm holding onto my own little bit of the real world, before Cyberdyne Systems take over everything else.

I'm completely the opposite. I hate physical products with a passion! I just want the music and how lovely it is to type the name of the song into the search box and get it instantly (I'm talking my own music, on my PC). The last to go were the Queen albums on cd's, they took a while to part with, but I proudly walked in the Heart Foundation with them and I suppose they got a few quid for them.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 pm

God WILL no doubt reward you in heaven. :-)

....runs for the slit trench!

The Beatles song Norwegian Wood, is all about a Scandanavian girl (or one who loves Scandanavian decor, at very least) who has a minimalistic home. Lennon winds up torching the place, in his song.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Kes wrote:God WILL no doubt reward you in heaven. :-)

....runs for the slit trench!

The Beatles song Norwegian Wood, is all about a Scandanavian girl (or one who loves Scandanavian decor, at very least) who has a minimalistic home. Lennon winds up torching the place, in his song.

Love that song, but I have never actually listened to the lyrics!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:34 am

Yeah, the basic story is that he meets a girl, goes back to her place. She has fuck all furniture in the place, but apparently loads of wood panelling everywhere. They sit up until two in the morning talking, but he doesn't get to shag her because she says she has to work in the morning. He winds up sleeping in the bath, and when he wakes up she's already gone to work. So he leaves her a little present by setting light to her house. Quite entertaining storyline in a song for 1965.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Kes wrote:Anyway, the point I was making was that I, personally, prefer physical sales. I actually like seeing something in my sweaty mitts, when I buy something.

Likewise.

While I confess I often turn to digital if I'm only after one or two tracks from an album, if I've any interest in the whole thing I invariably go out and buy the CD. I like having a shelf (actually quite a few shelves) with all my albums on, regardless of the fact I do 95% of my music listening via my iPod, which means most of the CDs never get played beyond ripping them to my PC.

Not to mention there's still a lot you simply can't buy digitally. And not just old stuff that no one's bothered to upload yet - a new album by a band I absolutely adore came out just the other week, and it's only available on CD or vinyl.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am

fairydandy wrote:I'm completely the opposite. I hate physical products with a passion! I

And yet you sound like a broken record... I mean mp3... :P
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby TheHero » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Will there be any Queen releases in 2018?
Any rumours?

No teasers and nothing heard from official sites?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby SelfMadeMan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 pm

All I'm really interested in is outtakes or early versions of already release songs, and even when they do that they feel the need to 'finish' them and add stuff from released songs that clearly wasn't there in the demo. I'm looking at you 2011 remaster bonus tracks.

SelfMadeMan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kevinrm15 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm

I have a feeling there will be a new compilation to coincide with the film.

Kevinrm15
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On