Q+PR : one more time ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Q+PR : one more time ?

Postby eiricd » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:20 am

icy wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:I still maintain that The Cosmos Rocks is better than it is given credit for, and perhaps better than it had any right to be.

The problem is that same old one: the public think Queen is Freddie Mercury. They were given an album that did not sound like him, and in places had some real stinkers for the press to tear apart. When you coupled that with piss-poor promotion, with zero effort from both the band and the record label to actually shift some units, and you've got the vibe of an album not worth listening from a band who don't care about it.

While it's not perfect, I think it's possibly their last hurrah. I personally don't really credit the solo material that Brian and Roger have released since (happy for them to be doing it, I respect them for that, but it's not my bag at all), and I'm genuinely not interested in Adam Lambert... so The Cosmos Rocks was the 'end' of Queen for me.

If they got back together, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I only saw two shows (Manchester 05 and Cardiff 08), and would love to have seen more. And I'm sure if they actually put a bit of effort in they could collectively come up with enough new songs to fill an album.

But then they'll have to call it "Queen + Paul Rodgers" and the same old problem will be evident. It ain't Fred.

I try not to compare TCR with the Queen albums, but I have often compared it to Brian's and Roger's solo music. All this time later, I'm still conflicted about the album. But I'm glad they went for it at the end of the day. I'm glad Q+PR happened, even though my main issue was about the name Queen being used. Oh fun times :-P .
I don't think of the album as the last hurrah, for me that will always be Made In Heaven.
I'd gladly go to a Q+PR show, I think from what I've seen/heard and have been told, they were bloody good live. No gimmicky crap like there is now, thankfully. And I loved Paul's voice, it was so good, IMO.
I was very upset when Q+PR ended. I literally cried. I hope things are good between the guys these days. The pic from a while ago of Paul meeting Brian and Roger gave me hope all is well.

there's a recent picture of the three of them? any links?

I saw a pic of brian and paul last year, backstage at Paul's Albert Hall gig (coming to dvd soon)

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 am

icy wrote:Thanks Leigh for the Hyde Park info. I never knew you attended until now. Imagine brings me to tears... I was shocked then and still am Hyde Park wasn't released to raise money after what happened.
It gives me goosebumps when I read posts from people who have been there throughout many Queen related events. Thank you for being a part of Hyde Park on that day. :D

Thanks.

Talking about it got me thinking back and convinced me to dig out the photos actually. I think this was the best one I got.

So yeah, we were pretty close. That was during "Feel Like Making Love", if memory serves. Great day out.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:39 am

Leigh Burne wrote:
icy wrote:Thanks Leigh for the Hyde Park info. I never knew you attended until now. Imagine brings me to tears... I was shocked then and still am Hyde Park wasn't released to raise money after what happened.
It gives me goosebumps when I read posts from people who have been there throughout many Queen related events. Thank you for being a part of Hyde Park on that day. :D

Thanks.

Talking about it got me thinking back and convinced me to dig out the photos actually. I think this was the best one I got.

So yeah, we were pretty close. That was during "Feel Like Making Love", if memory serves. Great day out.

Thank you.
Holy crap, that is close! :mrgreen: What a great picture! :mrgreen:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby icy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 am

eiricd wrote:
icy wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:I still maintain that The Cosmos Rocks is better than it is given credit for, and perhaps better than it had any right to be.

The problem is that same old one: the public think Queen is Freddie Mercury. They were given an album that did not sound like him, and in places had some real stinkers for the press to tear apart. When you coupled that with piss-poor promotion, with zero effort from both the band and the record label to actually shift some units, and you've got the vibe of an album not worth listening from a band who don't care about it.

While it's not perfect, I think it's possibly their last hurrah. I personally don't really credit the solo material that Brian and Roger have released since (happy for them to be doing it, I respect them for that, but it's not my bag at all), and I'm genuinely not interested in Adam Lambert... so The Cosmos Rocks was the 'end' of Queen for me.

If they got back together, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I only saw two shows (Manchester 05 and Cardiff 08), and would love to have seen more. And I'm sure if they actually put a bit of effort in they could collectively come up with enough new songs to fill an album.

But then they'll have to call it "Queen + Paul Rodgers" and the same old problem will be evident. It ain't Fred.

I try not to compare TCR with the Queen albums, but I have often compared it to Brian's and Roger's solo music. All this time later, I'm still conflicted about the album. But I'm glad they went for it at the end of the day. I'm glad Q+PR happened, even though my main issue was about the name Queen being used. Oh fun times :-P .
I don't think of the album as the last hurrah, for me that will always be Made In Heaven.
I'd gladly go to a Q+PR show, I think from what I've seen/heard and have been told, they were bloody good live. No gimmicky crap like there is now, thankfully. And I loved Paul's voice, it was so good, IMO.
I was very upset when Q+PR ended. I literally cried. I hope things are good between the guys these days. The pic from a while ago of Paul meeting Brian and Roger gave me hope all is well.

there's a recent picture of the three of them? any links?

I saw a pic of brian and paul last year, backstage at Paul's Albert Hall gig (coming to dvd soon)

It was two different pics at possibly different times and I can't find them on the web for some reason. I went to look for them and could not find them, very odd. I just hope all is well between the guys now. I think Q+PR was a good thing, even very good at times. I can't believe how time flew since then.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Simon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm

"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AngelR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Looks so weird. It's not a Paul's wax figure, is it?

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Aww at the second one...makes me nostalgic :D
Thanks Paul Rodgers for what you did for Q+PR :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby eiricd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Paul, Bri and JP is backstage at the Albert Hall.

What about the other one??

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby KingOfRhye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Paul Rodgers doesn't look very well in that first picture with BM and JP at all. Is that more recent than the second?

KingOfRhye
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 am

Nearly as much time has passed since Paul Rodgers first performed with Queen as had passed since Freddie died when that happened.

:onfire:

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 am

Brian, Paul, and Jimmie Page? Hmm....maybe they could put out an album entitled "The Radioactive Cosmos" :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby eiricd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 am

Elessar wrote:Nearly as much time has passed since Paul Rodgers first performed with Queen as had passed since Freddie died when that happened.

:onfire:

Insane. Time waits for nobody..
I remember the UK Hall of fame thing very clearly. I was stunned at how he made the songs work without copying Freddie, phrasing by phrasing

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby bigV » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 am

eiricd wrote:I remember the UK Hall of fame thing very clearly. I was stunned at how he made the songs work without copying Freddie, phrasing by phrasing

That's what I loved about him fronting Queen. As BM put it: "Paul doesn't try to imitate anybody [meaning Freddie]. Why should he? He's Paul Rodgers!"

Not a single phrasing did I hear that reminded me of the way Freddie sang those songs, not once. The bluesy outro he used to do for Bohemian Rhapsody was inspired and inspiring. "Shivers down my spine", indeed.

fairydandy wrote:I would go! I don't think it will happen though. :?

Didn't you get mind-numbingly drunk to even go to a QPR show? Brixton, if I recall :P

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby parchedpeas » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 pm

You like the phrasing. I often found it just annoying ' trying hard to be different just for the sake of it.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 pm

bigV wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I would go! I don't think it will happen though. :?

Didn't you get mind-numbingly drunk to even go to a QPR show? Brixton, if I recall :P

V.

Brixton was a tame affair compared to the O2 in October 2008!

fd, Loretta and I got extremely drunk at the back of the arena and others were telling us to be quiet. They had literally no idea they were speaking to QOL royalty :roll:

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On