Q+PR : one more time ?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Q+PR : one more time ?

Postby eiricd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Zak Royen wrote:Do you guys believe there's any chance at all that Brian and Roger will ever perform again with Paul Rodgers ?

Even if it's just one gig, or just one song... I'd be thrilled.
How about you ?

I would go! I don't think it will happen though. :?

I would go to as many as possible. QPR re-ignited my passion for Queen. lambert however, has put out the fire. pun intended. (any glamberts who got that? :) )

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:16 pm

icy wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:
BitterTears wrote:The shows were good but no one wanted to hear a new album, about sums up what Brian wrote about QPR.

People would like to hear a new album. It's just a shame they produced a pretty crap one. Take the Roger songs off it and it was amongst the worst things released that year.

Ouch. :lol:
I don't know what expectations Q+PR had for the album...or even the fans, I know when news broke about the album I was surprised that they did a studio album. Listening to it was more of a surprise, I thought it would be more gritty, balls to wall type stuff, and we'll it wasn't :-P .
Sometimes I feel I wish Q+PR only released ROTC. That to me is one of the best things Q+PR did. Although I wish the Hyde Park concert was recorded and released too. I've heard good things from people who attended that show.
I can't imagine Q+PR ever coming together again, which I think is a shame. I miss those times.

As evident with "Imagine" from TCR, and the odd digital-only video release of BoRhap from the same gig, they could have put out Hyde Park if they wanted to. I believe there was talk about it prior to any live releases from the 2005 tour was announced?

ROTC is great imo. Anyone, including Brian and Roger, who think that the band is playing better than ever need to watch ROTC, and they will realise that what's happening nowadays is a step down from what happened in 2005

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:21 pm

another thing which bugs me... :)

how on earth has there not been a re-release of ROTC, Japan 2005, and Ukraine on blu-ray? (or indeed initially)
All of them were shot in HD, all the work has been done. Yet, all we have are dvds.

Stick some neat bonus discs on all of them, and you would have some great releases.

ROTC + Hyde Park?
Japan + something from the 2006 US tour? (screens were used, so they have decent footage)?
Ukraine + South America / any gig on the european tour? (again, a decent camera set up was used!)

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:30 pm

eiricd wrote:
As evident with "Imagine" from TCR, and the odd digital-only video release of BoRhap from the same gig, they could have put out Hyde Park if they wanted to. I believe there was talk about it prior to any live releases from the 2005 tour was announced?

ROTC is great imo. Anyone, including Brian and Roger, who think that the band is playing better than ever need to watch ROTC, and they will realise that what's happening nowadays is a step down from what happened in 2005

Wow, I didn't know about that digital only release of Bohemian Rhapsody before reading your post. I missed that completely.
Q+PR will always be better than the current Q+. I love how Paul's voice was on the Queen songs, and I loved Brian and Roger on the Paul music. ROTC is bloody brilliant.
I wish Q+PR lasted longer, I was so sad when and how it ended.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby eiricd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm

icy wrote:
eiricd wrote:

Wow, I didn't know about that digital only release of Bohemian Rhapsody before reading your post. I missed that completely.
Q+PR will always be better than the current Q+. I love how Paul's voice was on the Queen songs, and I loved Brian and Roger on the Paul music. ROTC is bloody brilliant.
I wish Q+PR lasted longer, I was so sad when and how it ended.

phpBB [video]

worse quality than the initial release, but you get the idea. Would make an excellent release. The footage from the actual gig used in the opera section gives you an idea on what it could potentially look like.

Paul Rodgers became a hero of mine with QPR. He is the only singer who has managed to put his own personal stamp and trademarks on a Queen song.
Everyone else who is a decent singer, and I mean everyone, sounds like a poor Freddie Mercury somehow. Either cause of limited range, too much or too little of this and that technique, and also cause they copy his phrasing.

Look at the initial promo for QPR when Brian talks about Paul's ability to make the songs his own. The excitement in his eyes and voice is a joy to watch. Never seen him like that since, even now when he's far up lambert's arse.

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 pm

I still maintain that The Cosmos Rocks is better than it is given credit for, and perhaps better than it had any right to be.

The problem is that same old one: the public think Queen is Freddie Mercury. They were given an album that did not sound like him, and in places had some real stinkers for the press to tear apart. When you coupled that with piss-poor promotion, with zero effort from both the band and the record label to actually shift some units, and you've got the vibe of an album not worth listening from a band who don't care about it.

While it's not perfect, I think it's possibly their last hurrah. I personally don't really credit the solo material that Brian and Roger have released since (happy for them to be doing it, I respect them for that, but it's not my bag at all), and I'm genuinely not interested in Adam Lambert... so The Cosmos Rocks was the 'end' of Queen for me.

If they got back together, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I only saw two shows (Manchester 05 and Cardiff 08), and would love to have seen more. And I'm sure if they actually put a bit of effort in they could collectively come up with enough new songs to fill an album.

But then they'll have to call it "Queen + Paul Rodgers" and the same old problem will be evident. It ain't Fred.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby eiricd » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 am

Sir Didymus wrote:I still maintain that The Cosmos Rocks is better than it is given credit for, and perhaps better than it had any right to be.

The problem is that same old one: the public think Queen is Freddie Mercury. They were given an album that did not sound like him, and in places had some real stinkers for the press to tear apart. When you coupled that with piss-poor promotion, with zero effort from both the band and the record label to actually shift some units, and you've got the vibe of an album not worth listening from a band who don't care about it.

While it's not perfect, I think it's possibly their last hurrah. I personally don't really credit the solo material that Brian and Roger have released since (happy for them to be doing it, I respect them for that, but it's not my bag at all), and I'm genuinely not interested in Adam Lambert... so The Cosmos Rocks was the 'end' of Queen for me.

If they got back together, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I only saw two shows (Manchester 05 and Cardiff 08), and would love to have seen more. And I'm sure if they actually put a bit of effort in they could collectively come up with enough new songs to fill an album.

But then they'll have to call it "Queen + Paul Rodgers" and the same old problem will be evident. It ain't Fred.

sums it up nicely.

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am

To me there was something a little bit magic in those early QPR days. Maybe it was just the novelty of Queen, in some form or fashion, being back on the road but everyone looked so happy, the setlist was fresh and featured songs Brian and Roger hadn't played togther before and Brian and Roger themselves seemed to be playing better than ever. Brian says all the time they are better than ever but in 2005, I think it was actually true.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:15 pm

BitterTears wrote:To me there was something a little bit magic in those early QPR days. Maybe it was just the novelty of Queen, in some form or fashion, being back on the road but everyone looked so happy, the setlist was fresh and featured songs Brian and Roger hadn't played togther before and Brian and Roger themselves seemed to be playing better than ever. Brian says all the time they are better than ever but in 2005, I think it was actually true.

Sounds like they definitely slowed down recently but they were so much younger in 2005 though. I would've liked to see them with JSS more than with PR. They could've done so much more with Jeff, I think.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm

eiricd wrote:another thing which bugs me... :)

how on earth has there not been a re-release of ROTC, Japan 2005, and Ukraine on blu-ray? (or indeed initially)
All of them were shot in HD, all the work has been done. Yet, all we have are dvds.

I recall Brian saying at the time of its release, that although Ukraine was recorded/filmed in HD he didn't believe that Blu Ray was a format that was popular enough to warrant release on that format instead of DVD. What a muppet!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Funny this has come up, I gave Return of the Champions a spin for the first time in years over the weekend, and I'd completely forgotten how bloody good it is. I'm probably a bit more inclined towards it because I was a pre-existing fan of both Queen and Paul before they joined forces, and because I saw them on the tour (it was actually the first big concert I ever went to), but they really did put on a brilliant show. Paul's voice was stellar and the band seemed to be firing on all cylinders and having a great time. I especially got a kick out of seeing Brian and Roger playing stuff like "Wishing Well" and "Feel Like Making Love", songs I loved from Paul's career.

It's a shame their studio effort was so forgettable. Never mind not matching up to Queen's existing body of work, it wasn't even as good as anything Paul had done in his long career previous. Given how much I liked the people involved, it made it even more of a downer when it just wasn't that great. I honestly think the let down pretty much turned me off the project, to the point where I didn't even realise until fairly recently that they released a second live concert from the supporting tour. I've been meaning to pick that up on-and-off ever since I found out about it. I'm sure I'll get it some day.

icy wrote:Although I wish the Hyde Park concert was recorded and released too. I've heard good things from people who attended that show.

I was there. Like I said, it was the first major gig I ever went to, so it holds special memories. I was close, actually, just to the side of the runway; I got a couple of great photos of Paul and Brian only a few feet away. My mate had a giant Union Jack hat on which is visible in the video of "Imagine" on the DVD. Speaking of which, that was quite a moving little moment, given what had happened just a week or so before.

I remember hoping for a long time afterwards that it would be the one that got released, and I was pretty disappointed when I found out it was going to be Sheffield instead.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:I still maintain that The Cosmos Rocks is better than it is given credit for, and perhaps better than it had any right to be.

I try not to compare TCR with the Queen albums, but I have often compared it to Brian's and Roger's solo music. All this time later, I'm still conflicted about the album. But I'm glad they went for it at the end of the day. I'm glad Q+PR happened, even though my main issue was about the name Queen being used. Oh fun times :-P .
I don't think of the album as the last hurrah, for me that will always be Made In Heaven.
I'd gladly go to a Q+PR show, I think from what I've seen/heard and have been told, they were bloody good live. No gimmicky crap like there is now, thankfully. And I loved Paul's voice, it was so good, IMO.
I was very upset when Q+PR ended. I literally cried. I hope things are good between the guys these days. The pic from a while ago of Paul meeting Brian and Roger gave me hope all is well.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks Leigh for the Hyde Park info. I never knew you attended until now. Imagine brings me to tears... I was shocked then and still am Hyde Park wasn't released to raise money after what happened.
It gives me goosebumps when I read posts from people who have been there throughout many Queen related events. Thank you for being a part of Hyde Park on that day. :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby soxtalon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22 am

I too actually look on The Cosmos Rocks as a solo effort instead of a true Queen effort. Just one that Brian and Roger both worked on.

Looking at it that way, it's probably amongst the best of the solo projects :)

I hope they do continue to make solo efforts...or in Brian's case actually MAKE a solo album (MINUS Kerry Ellis though that seems highly unlikely).

I"m hoping Roger continues to at least release drips and drabs such as Journey's End.

QPR was definitely the epilogue of their creativity. MiH ended the band, but they had some juices left (NOBY, Another World, Electric Fire especially, and then QPR)

I'm in the minority in that I'd love to see a QAL album because at least they'd be trying to do something rather than just relying on the GH as they've been doing all of QAL.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:45 am

Sorry, but I don’t think there will be a QPR reunion anytime soon!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On