The Ultimate Queen Celebration feat. Marc Martel....

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

The Ultimate Queen Celebration feat. Marc Martel....

Postby julymorning » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 am

Tristan Avakian and Brandon Ethridge.

Saturday night March 3rd fan video compilation.

Magnificent!

phpBB [video]
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Re: The Ultimate Queen Celebration feat. Marc Martel....

Postby Tenement Funster » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 am

Really interesting, thanks for posting.

Having seen the QeX live (and having shot the (slightly) famous Prophets song video), I could make the following comments.

Marc is as good vocally as ever.
The band are not a patch on QeX
Marc looks uncomfortable on the bigger stage. He tries to imitate Freddie’s gestures which (to me, at least) cheapens his act. He doesn’t command the stage like he should and thus it looks empty, weirdly.

As always in these situations a really good band splits and the two resulting factions both fail to live up to the original. In rock music it’s rare that two halves make a whole.

Tenement Funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Marc and Tristan sharing vocals for Under Pressure. Same night, different fan video.

phpBB [video]
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:Really interesting, thanks for posting.

Having seen the QeX live (and having shot the (slightly) famous Prophets song video), I could make the following comments.

Marc is as good vocally as ever.
The band are not a patch on QeX
Marc looks uncomfortable on the bigger stage. He tries to imitate Freddie’s gestures which (to me, at least) cheapens his act. He doesn’t command the stage like he should and thus it looks empty, weirdly.

As always in these situations a really good band splits and the two resulting factions both fail to live up to the original. In rock music it’s rare that two halves make a whole.

Agree with all your comments.
Marc's improved since I saw QeEx about 5 years ago but still looks awkward.... and sounds good.
Tyler Warren is a missing link, i think. He's born to be on stage and a musical director of QuEx.
Where did you see QuEx? This theatre looks tiny. I saw QuEx at a bigger venue.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Marc Martel is just awsome as usual. In some ways this lineup is better than Queen Extravaganza. I prefer Tristan Avakian to Nick Radcliffe. Brandon Ethridge is great with the keys as well. So at this moment I would rather see the ultimate Queen celebration than Queen Extravaganza. I suspect many feel like that. I wonder how Roger and Brian takes this.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby julymorning » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm

I can't help but focus on everything BUT Marc's stage moves, although sometimes he does something cute. Marc's expression comes through his voice and eyes. Brian May is more physically awkward but I've never heard anyone say it interfered with the quality of his performance. Marc continues to loosen up in little increments, my companion commented on that last night....Marc's background of decades of performing Christian music didn't really afford him the necessity of being all over the place athletically. I would cringe if tried.

It's good that we all enjoy different aspects of what it takes to make a great performance as it has afforded us a variety to choose who we want to go see.

Again, this is not to be confused with Queen Extravaganza. Roger has Tyler working outside of North America, Marc's Ultimate Queen Celebration is playing over here, inside. Thankfully someone is trying to make us happy here. The respective groups will never put themselves into a position of competition on one continent.

It remains to be seen if Marc fronts Queen Extravaganza next year, or at some point in the future. In my idea group Tyler WOULD be the drummer, no question about that! And Francois on bass. Maybe someday we'll get the right combo we can all be happy with again. But for now, I have to say if I had a choice between the two tribute groups to see, it would be this one with Marc, Tristan and Brandon. Besides that choice, taking cost into consideration, I would choose Marc's over Queen with Adam Lambert. But that's just me. I have to make choices like that because I'm a poor person, lol.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 pm

julymorning wrote: I would choose Marc's over Queen with Adam Lambert. But that's just me. I have to make choices like that because I'm a poor person, lol.

No, that's not just you. I would also enjoy hearing Marc a lot more than Lambert. I have no problem with the way Marc moves on stage. I actually think he is very good. He is getting better and better. And I am glad he does not try to immitate every move from Freddie.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 pm

julymorning wrote:I can't help but focus on everything BUT Marc's stage moves, although sometimes he does something cute. Marc's expression comes through his voice and eyes. Brian May is more physically awkward but I've never heard anyone say it interfered with the quality of his performance. Marc continues to loosen up in little increments, my companion commented on that last night....Marc's background of decades of performing Christian music didn't really afford him the necessity of being all over the place athletically. I would cringe if tried.

It's good that we all enjoy different aspects of what it takes to make a great performance as it has afforded us a variety to choose who we want to go see.

Again, this is not to be confused with Queen Extravaganza. Roger has Tyler working outside of North America, Marc's Ultimate Queen Celebration is playing over here, inside. Thankfully someone is trying to make us happy here. The respective groups will never put themselves into a position of competition on one continent.

It remains to be seen if Marc fronts Queen Extravaganza next year, or at some point in the future. In my idea group Tyler WOULD be the drummer, no question about that! And Francois on bass. Maybe someday we'll get the right combo we can all be happy with again. But for now, I have to say if I had a choice between the two tribute groups to see, it would be this one with Marc, Tristan and Brandon. Besides that choice, taking cost into consideration, I would choose Marc's over Queen with Adam Lambert. But that's just me. I have to make choices like that because I'm a poor person, lol.

Brian just being himself is the main "attraction' of the Queen + AL show, after Frank of course :)
He's authentic, quirky and a genius guitar player and song writer. Please don't compare him to Marc.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby DANAIR737 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:01 am

Marc's an awesome singer. He sounds too much like Freddie for there to be a Queen + Marc Martel though. Adam has the different sound and the flamboyance that attracted Brian and Roger. Me? I much prefer Marc to Adam.

DANAIR737
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pm

AngelR wrote:
julymorning wrote:I can't help but focus on everything BUT Marc's stage moves, although sometimes he does something cute. Marc's expression comes through his voice and eyes. Brian May is more physically awkward but I've never heard anyone say it interfered with the quality of his performance. Marc continues to loosen up in little increments, my companion commented on that last night....Marc's background of decades of performing Christian music didn't really afford him the necessity of being all over the place athletically. I would cringe if tried.

Brian just being himself is the main "attraction' of the Queen + AL show, after Frank of course :)
He's authentic, quirky and a genius guitar player and song writer. Please don't compare him to Marc.

Wow. get a grip girl! I wasn't comparing them, and listen, I have loved Brian for 40 years. Always will. If you haven't noticed I use a photo of him for my avatar here. I got into his solo work and own his Brian May Band cd's and DVD's, as well as his DVD with guitar legends in Seville Spain. I've had a couple dreams about him. I saw Queen live 3 times with Freddie. I mentioned Brian's awkwardness because it's a bit of a joke between him and Anita that he has no rhythm.....can't dance. In her words the rhythm he has goes from he brain straight to his fingers. I was just using him as an example that smooth moves for a big stage aren't a requirement to be the complete package. For some people. Examples aren't necessarily comparisons.

Eh, you wont' get it, you're stuck on your point as I am on mine.

Meanwhile, Marc's web page has the tour info for now through Sept. My State isn't on it. :'(

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9KSDi4p5auAgAE9UPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTEybXNuNWlhBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQxMjNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1520391011/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fmarcmartelmusic.com%2f/RK=2/RS=ahSQoFzuy8X9BxONPjv7gTVNxew-

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 am

Here's exactly what she said, it's been a few years since I watched this so I didn't remember it word for word. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I do. She's as entertaining as he is when she talks. Brian appeared with her on this show a couple of times later on.

phpBB [video]

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Return to The Show Must Go On