Sheer Heart Attack box in 2018?

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Sheer Heart Attack box in 2018?

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:38 pm

As regards any Queen releases this year, it was hinted to me that anything substantial this year would be geared around the biopic. Might be the case, might not, but sometimes you trust what you are told by people who probably know.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby agkelly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am

If I were a betting man, I'd be thinking most of their energies this year, away from touring, would be aimed at the movie.

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Kes wrote:As regards any Queen releases this year, it was hinted to me that anything substantial this year would be geared around the biopic. Might be the case, might not, but sometimes you trust what you are told by people who probably know.

I imagine you're spot on there, tbh. As much as we can dream for more deluxe packages and the like, it's going to be Bohemian Rhapsody that gets all the attention this year, and anything else could potentially detract from that campaign, so out the window it goes!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby BitterTears » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:45 pm

I don't think we need 'insider' knowledge to guess this year's focus would be on the movie. Very curious as to find out what will actually be on offer though. Obviously the film itself won't be available to buy until next year so I guess it'll be soundtrack orientated and/or a companion release with Bo Rhap branding.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby AlexKx » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 am

It seems like a good time for "Live Killers" to be fixed and re-released as a big ass box set...

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby hotspace1966 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:10 am

Yes...Live Killers sounds good

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:18 pm

A Sheer Heart Attack box set could be pretty awesome if done right. (big if!)

Let's say.....disc 1, original album of course. Next disc or maybe two next discs, alternate song versions, edits, whatnot. And finally, the real kicker, last 2 discs, complete May '75 Tokyo concert sounding better than it did on any bootleg...

Hey, I can dream, right? :P

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 pm

I would actually prefer a Live Killers re-release over a SHA boxset. It's long overdue. The original album should be remastered, which is what they should have done in 2011 (can't believe it's been THAT long since Queen's 40th anniversary). I'd also like to see a DVD/Blu-ray included with some concert footage from the 1977 - 79 era.

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 pm

The reason we haven't seen an update of Live Killers or Live Magic, must be because the band hates them I think. My guess is that they dislike them because they are cut n paste.

But other than that, I think both albums have good songs, better sound and way better artwork, cover design than any of the other live albums. For that reason I think they deserve an upgrade..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 am

A release of the aforementioned May 1975 Budokan concert in as-enhanced-as-it-could-possibly-be quality would be the best thing ever to me. I've heard that show bin bootlegs..... it's the best Queen concert ever, in my opinion.

Of course, I'm just basing that on hearing recordings. But, I've heard a lot, and that's my favorite of them all. Sound quality-wise.... it's good, but not great. It just ain't up to "live album" standards, not quite. Now... there's another bootleg I've heard, Chicago 78. Sound quality, excellent. On a par with any live album or at least close to it. The problem with that one is Freddie's voice. Not at his best. Possibly that was why they indulged in the Brighton Rock extended jam, that was just epic.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby bigV » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am

Kes wrote:Pretty sure one probably doesn't exist. I was in the mixing desk area that night, as I was the DJ for the night. The only kit I saw that looked capable of recording anything half decent, was my own mini-disc set up, and not saying they didn't trust me, but they unplugged my feed from the PA, just before Brian came on.

I love that you know so much about Queen and I've learnt so much from you that it's incalculable. But you can be a real killjoy sometimes :P

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Kes » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm

It's only being a killjoy, if the possibility was ever there in the first place.

As regards the Rivermead set, just saying what I believe, the best person placed to record a soundboard recording on that particular night, was probably me, and as regards other potential releases....

I won't say the band, and/or it's representatives don't use this place for ideas, because they do. In this case, it's about windows given to them by the record company, and the ability to fill them. If I thought there was a realistic gap, then I'd run with it, but its ALL about the movie at the moment, and the fact that it will probably put them on the crest of a wave, sales wise. I think you can bet that commerciality will override common sense, or what the hardcore fans "want".
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby cmsdrums » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Kes wrote:
As regards the I think you can bet that commerciality will override common sense, or what the hardcore fans "want".

As much as I want all the rarities and anthology stuff, in the case of the movie then commerciality IS the common sense option - there’ll only be a couple of opportunities to cash in on the film both financially and artistically, and that’s around the time of release and then the subsequent home release of the film. For once I won’t be disappointed or annoyed at the release plan as it’s very much a ‘one off’.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to The Show Must Go On