Re-Name "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2018)

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Re-Name "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2018)

Postby BitterTears » Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I do like the name because without knowing anything else about the film, you know it's a film about Queen. Unless it was called 'The Freddie Mercury and Queen movie', I don't think there's a title that let's you know what you need to know as well as that

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Broooklyn » Sun May 27, 2018 1:55 am

BitterTears wrote:I do like the name because without knowing anything else about the film, you know it's a film about Queen. Unless it was called 'The Freddie Mercury and Queen movie', I don't think there's a title that let's you know what you need to know as well as that

Don't say such things! You should know very well that Brian May would take this on and name this film something completely raw, out of the ordinary and original...like 'We Will Rock You'. :bomb:
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby icy » Sun May 27, 2018 2:03 am

Broooklyn wrote:
BitterTears wrote:I do like the name because without knowing anything else about the film, you know it's a film about Queen. Unless it was called 'The Freddie Mercury and Queen movie', I don't think there's a title that let's you know what you need to know as well as that

Don't say such things! You should know very well that Brian May would take this on and name this film something completely raw, out of the ordinary and original...like 'We Will Rock You'. :bomb:

Don't you give him any ideas! :nervous:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby AlexKx » Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 am

I think the tity title works nicely my dears! The reason being is because it gives a different and new dimension to asking another if they have seen "Bohemian Rhapsody" the feature film and not just the "short promotional film" (a.k.a.: "music video", eh). Why, "Hello.", and yes, I am Freddie's ghost floating in space communicating with and through the satellites to you all! Carry on! Carry on! Nothing really mah-ttahs!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 am

Broooklyn wrote:

Ah, see this is what I mean. 'We Will Rock You' could pass as the name of another movie. Maybe to do with music or sports or something. But Bohemian Rhapsody I don't think could.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby AlaRegularis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 am

It's one of their most famous songs that pretty much everybody knows about and the meaning of it, as stated earlier, fits with the story. I think it's a good title, evenr if I too thought it was a bit lazy at first glance.

AlaRegularis
Spread Your Wings

Postby Deacon Fro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 am

It's a no brainer that they'd call it Bohemian Rhapsody because that's their most popular song. The idea is to get people interested and the title is one way of doing it. Calling it "Life Is Real" or "Breakthru" would confuse everyone but us diehards. :D

Deacon Fro
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 am

Deacon Fro wrote:It's a no brainer that they'd call it Bohemian Rhapsody because that's their most popular song.

And?

It just doesn't mean anything or fits as a title to a film about Queen. I don't think anyone here is missing the marketing logic of the name - but some of us are saying it sucks as a film title.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:26 am

I couldn't care less - I understand their reasoning for chosing that name and I think for that it's a perfect choice. That movie should not only attract fans, much rather all the rest, the Fans know about it anyway.

I think to call that one album "Jazz" is waaaaay more stupid... ;)

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:01 am

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
Deacon Fro wrote:It's a no brainer that they'd call it Bohemian Rhapsody because that's their most popular song.

And?

It just doesn't mean anything or fits as a title to a film about Queen. I don't think anyone here is missing the marketing logic of the name - but some of us are saying it sucks as a film title.

What do you mean the name doesn't mean anything? Lol I posted about this weeks ago:

Bohemian Rhapsody works perfectly for the film. Here's what it means.

Bohemian - a person who has informal and unconventional social habits, especially an artist or writer. Sounds like Freddie to me.

Rhapsody - a free instrumental composition in one extended movement, typically one that is emotional or exuberant in character. While this describes music, put into the context of the film's story, I think it works well. An emotional coaster ride, and we've got one exuberant character in Freddie.

Given the meaning of those two words, and the song's overwhelming popularity and association to Queen, and particularly Freddie, I think they'd have been crazy not to call the film Bohemian Rhapsody. And believe me, I was originally in the camp that found the title distasteful. But it works, and will undoubtedly reach the most amount of people. A very smart commercial move, yet it still describes the contents of the film. Perfect, if you ask me.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Freddie's masterpiece - which some fans feel is the story of his own sexuality - created at a time when Queen felt it really was do or die for them career-wise. It catapulted them to stardom and turned them from just an ordinary rock band into something much more. Alongside Live Aid, I would suggest that this song was the biggest turning point for them.

It makes perfect sense to name the film after this song.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Lover Boy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Precisely, musicalprostitute. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby maidenpriest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:30 am

Call the film 'Musical Prostitute' :)

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Lover Boy wrote:Precisely, musicalprostitute. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

How else can I explain this so that some here will understand it?

The utilitarian and marketing justification for the title is very understood. The significance is clear.

What the issue is (to someone like me) is that it's a lazy title, uninspired and boring. It also doesn't describe Queen.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:28 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
Lover Boy wrote:Precisely, musicalprostitute. Not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

How else can I explain this so that some here will understand it?

The utilitarian and marketing justification for the title is very understood. The significance is clear.

What the issue is (to someone like me) is that it's a lazy title, uninspired and boring. It also doesn't describe Queen.

I acknowledge you agree with us regarding marketing. That's a no brainer. But you're forgetting this movie is less about Queen and more about Freddie Mercury. It's his story within the context of Queen. That said, the title Bohemian Rhapsody is perfect. The words translate very well in depicting his life. It's short, succinct, eye catching, and embodies the essence of the film. Frankly, they're lucky this title fits so well. Because if it had a different meaning that's totally irrelevant to the story I'd be on your side of the fence too.

Lover Boy
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On