Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby KNIGHT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm

This topic joins two things that I love:
-Movies
-Queen

And in just 4 days it’ll be the nominations for the biggest award in the world of movies…..in Tuesday, January 22, 2019 it’ll be announced the nominations for the 91st Annual Academy Awards, the Oscars night.

And I bet that Bohemian Rhapsody will receive (at least) some nominations.

To me BR will be nominated for:
-Best Picture;
-Best Actor;
-Best Costume Design;
-Best Sound Mixing;
-Best Film Editing (maybe);
-Best Makeup and Hairstyling (probably not).

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Re: Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby Writergirl » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 am

KNIGHT wrote:To me BR will be nominated for:
-Best Picture;
-Best Actor;
-Best Costume Design;
-Best Sound Mixing;
-Best Film Editing (maybe);
-Best Makeup and Hairstyling (probably not).

I agree with most of these. Best Picture and Actor, probably because the movie won both at the GGs. It deserves both nominations.

Best Costume Design, maybe, although it'll face a lot of competition from the heavy crop of sci-fi fantasy movies this year. Black Panther and Infinity War will probably get nominated too, and Fantastic Beasts and The Favourite.

Sound Mixing, probably.

I'm not sure about editing, again, lots of competition from "artier" films, and there's usually only about 5 slots. But, maybe.

Makeup and Hairstyling is a long shot IMO. There wasn't a lot of remarkable makeup aside from Freddie's teeth, and TBH I thought the wigs were awful. They didn't even try to get Roger's Live Aid hair right, he's basically wearing the same shaggy mane from 1980 onwards. It never changed.

I'll add that I'd like to see Lucy Boynton get a nod for Best Supporting Actress, I think she did a great job.

I'd also like to see it get nominated for Best Special Effects because that's what most of the Live Aid sequence was. They had to recreate Wembley Stadium in a computer and populate it, and it looked really good. I also love the bit where the camera pans "through" the bus during the Fat-Bottomed Girls number.

How about Best Cinematography? That was pretty good in the movie too.

That said, while BR may get these nominations, I sort of doubt it's going to win anything. Christian Bale is a solid lock for 'Vice' and there's contenders for Best Picture that have that "This is a Serious Arty Movie" vibe that Oscar voters love. I'm thinking "Roma" might win, or if that's not eligible, then probably it'll go to "Vice" or maybe "A Star is Born." I'm not sure the voters think "Bohemian Rhapsody" has the gravitas necessary to be called the best movie of the year. It'll get nominated as the "huge box office smash hit that is also a pretty good movie so maybe this will get people to tune into the broadcast" film, along with maybe "Black Panther." But that might be as far as it goes.

And I'm OK with that. The GG win was fantastic, because Brian and Roger were there, and it was a very happy surprise. Don't get me wrong, if Rami and BR win a raft of Oscars I'll be thrilled, but if it doesn't happen, meh. I've got the video of Rami's fantastic acceptance speech. I'll just go watch that again!

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby Faellie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Oscar nominations are out, with Bohemian Rhapsody having 5 -

Best picture

Best actor - Rami Malek

Best film editing

Best sound editing

Best sound mixing

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Not sure if BR will win any of these. But the best chance is probably best actor as its universally accepted that Malek was great in the role as Freddie. I know many Queen fans do not agree though ;)

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peavy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

They weren't nominated for best soundtrack or best song, because the music was written long before and not especially for the movie, right? Huh...if those are the rules...still one of the best movie soundtracks of all time to me. ;)

Congratulations to Rami again! Let's see he wins or the movie in general...I wouldn't be surprised, the success of that movie is unstoppable.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm

It wont win the best picture category. Remember that those who votes are 7000 people within the industry. The scrips simply isnt good enough for that. If it was up to the general public it would have had a chance.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby zso » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm

I think that being awarded a GG in the best picture category decreased the chance of winning an Oscar for the film. Before the GG win, BR was an underdog. They will not give 2 important awards to the film.
However, its rivals are not extraordinary at all.

zso
Spread Your Wings

Postby Writergirl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Peavy wrote:They weren't nominated for best soundtrack or best song, because the music was written long before and not especially for the movie, right? Huh...if those are the rules...still one of the best movie soundtracks of all time to me. ;)

Congratulations to Rami again! Let's see he wins or the movie in general...I wouldn't be surprised, the success of that movie is unstoppable.

Right - to be nominated for best song, the song has to be composed specifically for the movie it's nominated in. I'm not sure about the rules for soundtrack, but while the soundtrack to BR was great, it was really "Here's a collection of Queen's greatest hits that were put in the movie."

I agree with those who say the best chance for an Oscar is Rami for best actor, although that depends on the voters' mood - they might give to Bale instead for "Best Impersonation of Dick Cheney and isn't it funny how this big fat jerk ran the country for eight years?".

It doesn't really have a chance for "Best Picture" against Roma and Vice, or even Green Book, all of which are more "serious" films. My money's on 'Roma'. I love BR, but I'd hesitate to call it the best movie of 2018.

And, obviously, it doesn't need any gold statuette to validate its existence, any more than Star Wars did, or any other hugely popular film that didn't win a Best Picture Oscar. It's introducing a whole new generation to Queen, and it's an emotional, heartfelt celebration of Freddie's life. AND we have that awesome win at the Golden Globes. I'll take it.

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm

zso wrote:I think that being awarded a GG in the best picture category decreased the chance of winning an Oscar for the film. Before the GG win, BR was an underdog. They will not give 2 important awards to the film.
However, its rivals are not extraordinary at all.

I got a digital version of the movie today. And I have to say that Bohemian Rhapsody could have been so much better. But I have accepted the fact that I will never be able to watch the movie with neutral eyes being a Queen fan. I have invested too much in the band emotionally.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Don't think they've got much a shot at the two big awards on that list but 'the Golden Globe winning and Academy Award nominated Bohemian Rhapsody' still sounds pretty good.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby spuzzum42 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 pm

Just noting for others who have commented about it, there is no category for Best Soundtrack. The category is Best Original Score, and, like Best Original Song, it must be composed specifically for the movie. Try as I might, I can't remember any original score from the movie at all.
The sound was superb, so I wouldn't be surprised to see BR in the running for those categories. And I wouldn't dismiss Rami in his category, either. Best Movie? Much as I loved the movie, not a chance.
Last edited by spuzzum42 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spuzzum42
Spread Your Wings

Postby Faellie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm

spuzzum42 wrote:Just noting for others who have commented about it, there is no category for Best Soundtrack. The category is Best Original Score, and, like Best Original Song, it must be composed specifically for the movie. Try as I might, I can't remember any original score from the movie at all.
The sound was superb, so I wouldn't be surprised to see BR in the running for those categories. And I wouldn't dismiss Rami in his category, either. Best Movie? Much as a loved the movie, not a chance.

That all sounds about right to me. I particularly agree that the sound on the film was astonishingly good - although of course they had good material to work with!

I'd almost hope that the film didn't win Best Picture because it would be a controversial win and give the critics too much scope to complain. Almost nicer for it to not win, and just treat Oscars night as a celebration of everything that's already been achieved - along with wishing a fair wind to Rami, of course.

I wonder whether Brian and Roger will get invitations - I would have thought they would, as star power at their level is unlikely to be overlooked.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm

If we were worried about the critics, I don't think any of us would be Queen fans in the first place.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 pm

BitterTears wrote:If we were worried about the critics, I don't think any of us would be Queen fans in the first place.

Critics were far too kind to the technical failings of this film's narrative, characters and structure.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Man, $800 Million + at the box office, several Golden Globes nominations/wins and now several Academy Award nominations including Best Picture?

Fuck, imagine this film's impact if it was actually well written, paced, and structured.

This thing would've been even bigger.

Bohemian Rhapsody should've been nominated for Costume Design. Not Film Editing. The editing in that film is haphazard and butchering at best. Just when a scene starts to get interesting - boom - we move onto something else.

Also, Black Panther does not deserve to be nominated. Fun film but c'mon...but I can guess one reason only why it was nominated.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to The Show Must Go On