Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:Man, $800 Million + at the box office, several Golden Globes nominations/wins and now several Academy Award nominations including Best Picture?

Fuck, imagine this film's impact if it was actually well written, paced, and structured.

This thing would've been even bigger.

Bohemian Rhapsody should've been nominated for Costume Design. Not Film Editing. The editing in that film is haphazard and butchering at best. Just when a scene starts to get interesting - boom - we move onto something else.

Also, Black Panther does not deserve to be nominated. Fun film but c'mon...but I can guess one reason only why it was nominated.

It is a very odd film to be honest. After getting it today I have watched the parts that I like. All the time I have this sadness in me. Mostly because it doesnt reflect Queen as I picture them after years of fandom. Freddie doesnt come across as the hero I think he is either. There are too many montages and time jumps. Rami nailed aspects of Freddie. But he did not capture the charisma and humour.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby MillionaireWaltz'd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Another_Roger wrote:It is a very odd film to be honest. After getting it today I have watched the parts that I like. All the time I have this sadness in me. Mostly because it doesnt reflect Queen as I picture them after years of fandom. Freddie doesnt come across as the hero I think he is either. There are too many montages and time jumps. Rami nailed aspects of Freddie. But he did not capture the charisma and humour.

It is definitely an odd film.

I've made my peace with it. Overall, it went over like gangbusters with audiences and most fans it seems and it's experienced unprecedented success that just keeps on coming. How can I not enjoy that, you know?

At the same time, I think the film is a character, narrative and editing mess and had this not been a Queen/Freddie film...I doubt it'd have fared the same.

I enjoy the film for what it is, largely. But it's definitely watered down, inaccurate for the sake of being so and could've been done so, so much better with even some small changes.

Poor Rami didn't have the chance script-wise to capture Freddie's humour all that much.

MillionaireWaltz'd
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 pm

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:It is a very odd film to be honest. After getting it today I have watched the parts that I like. All the time I have this sadness in me. Mostly because it doesnt reflect Queen as I picture them after years of fandom. Freddie doesnt come across as the hero I think he is either. There are too many montages and time jumps. Rami nailed aspects of Freddie. But he did not capture the charisma and humour.

It is definitely an odd film.

I've made my peace with it. Overall, it went over like gangbusters with audiences and most fans it seems and it's experienced unprecedented success that just keeps on coming. How can I not enjoy that, you know?

At the same time, I think the film is a character, narrative and editing mess and had this not been a Queen/Freddie film...I doubt it'd have fared the same.

I enjoy the film for what it is, largely. But it's definitely watered down, inaccurate for the sake of being so and could've been done so, so much better with even some small changes.

Poor Rami didn't have the chance script-wise to capture Freddie's humour all that much.

And its quite funny to hear Graham King talk about what a struggle it was to make the script work. How hard can it be when this was the result? The success of this film shows how powerful Queen's music are. It doesnt explain the films success in USA though. Surprises me that it has made over 200 millions now.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Writergirl » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Another_Roger wrote: It doesnt explain the films success in USA though. Surprises me that it has made over 200 millions now.

If the posts I've seen on Twitter are any indication, at least some of the success of the movie is due to young girls going for the "bromance" aspect, eg, the relationship among the band members. There are a lot of girls who think that Joe Mazzello, Ben Hardy, Gwylim Lee, and Rami Malek are "hot" and love how close they are in the film.

This isn't new; a large part of the reason 'Titanic' did so well was young Asian girls thought Leo DiCaprio was "hot" and filled theaters just to stare at him.

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am

From Brian's Instagram:
Amazing to get FIVE Oscar nominations ! Thankful, grateful, blessed !! Amazing punch in the eye for all those wingeing critics ! Amazing that @bbcnews did a piece on all the Best Picture nominations tonight and completely ignored just one - Bohemian Rhapsody. Amazing our own country’s media are still begrudging of our efforts after nearly 50 years. Amazing how little it matters. Because our friends vote with their feet. Thanks folks. Always. Onwards ! Bri

Just wanted to add that all Bohemian Rhapsody nominations were ignored on ITV news as well - other notable films nominations were introduced. Some newspapers talking about how undeserving the Bohemian Rhapsody is because of it's connection to disgraceful Bryan Singer..... :roll:

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Khashoggi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 am

Both BR as a movie and Rami Malek as an actor don't deserve an Oscar. The film is utter shite, bad script, totally unbelieving performance by Malek. I really tried so freakin' hard to like this film, but I will never get warm with it - which is a total shame, cause I've been waiting for it for so many years and really felt huge excitement prior to it's release.

If Rami Malek should win an Oscar for best actor, then tell me.. Why did Leonardo DiCaprio wait so many years for his first, considering his truly amazing and inspiring acting in countless movies??

Malek didn't (or probably couldn't) portrait Freddie's presence and essence in the slightest! In nearly all of the scenes it didn't even seem he tried. Yes, Freddie was probably too special. Yet I still think there are actors that would have pulled it off WAY better. Malek's a real nice bloke, but he claims in every promotional interview that he watched tons and tons of interview footage to really be able to play that unique man? Then I'm (still) asking myself why he didn't even seem to have tried to talk like Freddie, make his voice sound similar, etc. His moves are ridiculous, too.

The Golden Globes were a joke. But if this movie wins just one Oscar, then.. I dunno. :shock:
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Spook2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 am

MillionaireWaltz'd wrote:Man, $800 Million + at the box office, several Golden Globes nominations/wins and now several Academy Award nominations including Best Picture?

Fuck, imagine this film's impact if it was actually well written, paced, and structured.

This thing would've been even bigger.

Bohemian Rhapsody should've been nominated for Costume Design. Not Film Editing. The editing in that film is haphazard and butchering at best. Just when a scene starts to get interesting - boom - we move onto something else.

Also, Black Panther does not deserve to be nominated. Fun film but c'mon...but I can guess one reason only why it was nominated.

delete, delete your message quick, you will be hounded off as a Nazi by the elite posters / members on this board

how could you say / hint at such a thing

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:52 pm

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/mov ... ic-783208/

Interesting that this surfaces now. I would not be surprised if the timing is deliberate to torpedo the film in the race for an Oscar. Look at the last paragraph...what a clever bunch

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pestopasta » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:51 am

eiricd wrote:https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/bryan-singer-accusation-sexual-abuse-rape-atlantic-783208/

Interesting that this surfaces now. I would not be surprised if the timing is deliberate to torpedo the film in the race for an Oscar. Look at the last paragraph...what a clever bunch

It definetly is.
I think that the film-makers have known this since they fired Singer, that the shit will hit the fan in a big way and decided to totally distance them away and not even mention Singer in the promo tour.
They knew that the accusations is gonna rise during the award time to maximize the negative exposure.
And that means also that bye bye oscars. The academy ain't going to touch the film with a long stick after this, unfortunately. :D

Pestopasta
Spread Your Wings

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Postby soxtalon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 am

Not entirely true. I think Rami still has a shot at best actor. It's a way to celebrate the film without talking Singer at all.

But if it had a chance at Best Picture (which I don't really think it had anyways)...then there is no chance it does now.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby rpt81 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I echo the sentiment that it probably wouldn't win best picture anyway, but accusations certainly didn't stop the Academy giving Casey Affleck the best actor Oscar a couple of years ago. They did take a fair amount of flack for that though, so likely wouldn't want to repeat the process.

rpt81
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:55 pm

It's getting worse.....So they don't want to honour the number 1 LGBT film now because of the Bryan Singer's allegations? Why are they making it all about him not about Queen and Freddie??? :roll:
Bohemian Rhapsody removed from LGBT awards ceremony following Bryan Singer allegations | The Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 45571.html

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pestopasta » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:58 am

From the afticle:
“The team that worked so hard on Bohemian Rhapsody as well as the legacy of Freddy Mercury deserve so much more than to be tainted in this way. ”

I don't get it?
If they deserve better, then why are you removing the film from competition? :D
I just don't understand with these scandals, if one person messes up, the whole team suffers because of it.
Pretty two-faced if you ask me.
People should separate these things much more better.

Pestopasta
Spread Your Wings

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Postby Inny » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:06 am

They can't even spell Freddie correctly... :roll:

Inny
Don't Stop Me Now

叙情詩

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm

What do we make of Brian May's post on Instagram today? He has unfollowed Bryan Singer on IG, and it's easy to connect it with the upcoming Oscars. Opinions anyone? Here is his post:

brianmayforreal
Dear Folks - I was shocked and saddened to realise what I had done by my hasty and inconsiderate IG reply to this lady yesterday. I’ve posted an apology to her in the ‘reply’ box, but it seems to have disappeared - so I’m going to try to repeat it here, to be clear. ———-
Dear Sue, I’m so sorry that I responded to your post so snappily and inconsiderately. My response was a result of my perception that someone was telling me what to do. I now realise that I was completely wrong in thinking that. You were actually just trying to protect me, for which I thank you. I am mortified to discover the effect my words produced. I had no idea that saying someone was innocent until proven guilty could be interpreted as “defending“ Bryan Singer. I had absolutely no intention of doing that. I guess I must be naive, because also it had never occurred to me that ‘following’ a person on Instagram could be interpreted as approving of that person. The only reason I followed Bryan Singer was that we were working with him on a project. That situation came to an end when Mr Singer was removed during the shooting of the film, but I suppose unfollowing him never occurred to me as a necessity. Now, because of this misunderstanding, I have unfollowed. I’m so sorry. This must have caused you a lot of upset. I wish I could take the comment back, but all I can do is apologise, and hope that my apology will begin to make amends. Sadly, this is all very public, but since I snapped at you in public, it’s only fitting that I should apologise in public. I’m going to try to follow you so we can communicate privately if you want. With love - Bri. —— I should add that this is also a sincere apology to anyone else out there that I inadvertently offended. No such offence was intended and I will be more careful in future. Bri

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On