Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Re: Oscars (Academy Awards)-Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:31 pm

I think his original snap at Sue was unnecessary, in the moment, and a bit over-the-top. Personally, I didn't take Sue's comment as necessarily intent on pissing Brian off, but it also wasn't her place to place judgement on him. And that's where I think Brian felt offended. Simply put, I think he had a moment of weakness and wasn't thinking clearly.

As for his apology letter, I respect that. It takes a lot of courage to admit when you're wrong, but he was also being attacked by the media -- so the pressure was on to do something, so I don't think he had much of a choice. His letter does come across as a bit naive, which he admits at least. But humble too.

What I took most out of his letter though is how he was able to put himself in the fan's shoes. I can only imagine how horrible it would feel if I were angrily snapped at by my idol over the internet. Absolutely gutted, I'm sure. To love someone so much, and admire them from afar, and to get that kind of response? Ouch. Granted, I also wouldn't be stupid enough to make a public criticism of the man. Again, that's not her place. But at least Brian felt horrible that he probably upset some fan who naively wanted to give advice. So there's that.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby KNIGHT » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:45 pm

phpBB [video]

Awesome, especially the Live Aid part…….

KNIGHT
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Also interesting to see that Bryan Singer has removed every picture connected with the movie on Instagram. All pictures with Roger, Brian, Malek and the rest of the actors are gone. I am sure Brian has spoken with Singer in private, and they have come to the conclusion that it is the best for the movie, and Rami Malek. What do you make of that? Something has clearly happened. It is a very deliberate action, so there must be some thought behind it.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm

You might be on to something, AR. Severing ties (publicly) might help improve the way things are going recently.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Is it only me, or isn't it VERY 2018 stupidity that ONE person's (Bryan Singer) disgusting behaviour should affect the movie's chance of deserving any award?

A movie is made by hundreds of people; actors, tech crew etc. Who knows, maybe in every company, in every movie, in every school, in every family on the planet, there is a bad person with this kind of behaviour. If so, we could not have ANY awards at all. If there is one player on a football team, or the coach, raping someone, should then the whole team be banned from achieving any awards? Actually I find that ridiculous! Let the one person doing this, take his punishment, but don't punish the product, the team behind or anyone else! One person's personal problems should not affect it. Ban him from any nomination, but not the movie.

If a person in your family happened to be Jack The Ripper, then why on Earth should the rest of the family be judged, or any person working in the same company as him. Ok, you could say it would be a signal to the Hollywood business that this isn't acceptable, but I don't think it is fair to punish all the others involved because of this. The World isn't perfect, and it will never be. There are always bad people. Punish them, not the innocent people!
Especially not when they fired him, and got Dexter Fletcher instead. They dealt with it. This movie took 10 years for God's sake. Blood, sweat and tears; hard work by a big team.
You really think they like to rock in space? Well, I don't know. What do you know?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Latest news:

It really happened:

Bohemian Rhapsody had it's Academy nominations withdrawn today! Reason: Bryan Singer. :shock:

:roll:

This is just sad. The consequence of a society trying to be so political correct that all sensibilty is put aside.

Then can they please ban VW Beetle too? Put every owner of a VW product in jail. Ban it! Why? Because it was designed under command of a horrible person.

Then ban Bosch and Simens. German products.

Take away awards to any company that has an employee beating his wife.

Deny Olympic medals to any person who was raised by parents that did something illegal.
You really think they like to rock in space? Well, I don't know. What do you know?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby cmsdrums » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 pm

TheHero wrote:Latest news:

It really happened:

Bohemian Rhapsody had it's Academy nominations withdrawn today! Reason: Bryan Singer. :shock:

This is just sad. The consequence of a society trying to be so political correct that all sensibilty is put aside.

Then can they please ban VW Beetle too? Put every owner of a VW product in jail. Ban it! Why? Because it was designed under command of a horrible person.

Deny Olympic medals to any person who was raised by parents that did something illegal.

I didn’t think the Oscar nominations had been rescinded, but another organisation has removed them from their awards?

I agree however that it’s fucking ridiculous to punish every other artist, technician etc for the ALLEGED behaviour of one person.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 pm

cmsdrums wrote:
TheHero wrote:Latest news:

It really happened:

I didn’t think the Oscar nominations had been rescinded, but another organisation has removed them from their awards?

I agree however that it’s fucking ridiculous to punish every other artist, technician etc for the ALLEGED behaviour of one person.

True! You are correct. Not the Oscars yet.. but Glaad Awards. The next scandal would be if their Golden Globes are withdrawn too... You never know these days.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/bohe ... 203116481/.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Yes, one mad person and then ban everyone! :shock:

Example:

"Trump is bad" - grabs em by the puxxx- is leading USA - voted for by the American people - Hollywood is in the USA - Oscars are in the USA - BAN the Oscars!
BAN any award coming from USA! Hollywood says they want to fire Trump; doesn't matter. Ban them, because of ONE bad person leading them.

We have become so political correct these days, and the consequence of that; it ruins more than it does good. It creates hate instead.

One rapist in your company? Ban the company for any award! Punish the plumber, the electrician, because they were part of the same team, working together.

It isn't funny, just stupid! The western society has become stupid! The fall of the Roman empire. Brexit. As Roger would say: A nation of haircuts.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:48 pm

I came to think of these lyrics now. Somehow they seem to fit in 2019:

"Pressure On"

I've got the pressure on

Pressure from above
Pressure from below

I can't think straight
Or even go with the flow
I've got the pressure on

Analysts here, therapists there
You ain't getting me sitting in your chair
I've got the pressure on

The price is not right, or open to debate
Besides I'm worried about my weight
I've got the pressure on

It's a signal, it's a sign
It's a symptom of the time
It's a warning, it's a gauge
It's a feature of the age

Politics, schmolitics
I'm developing tics, clean out of tricks
Like a skin flick, just a little slick
So where's the kick?
Aah aah
I've got the pressure on

I think about you, I think about me
We grew up but we don't feel free
Is this where we wanted to be
It's not you, it's gotta be me

It's a signal, it's a sign
It's a symptom of the time
It's a warning, it's a gauge
It's a feature of the age

I got the pressure on
I got the pressure on
I got the pressure on me

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 pm

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:39 pm

One can begin to wonder if all this fuzz about Singer is pushed by the press!

A conspiracy theory: What if all this hate against Singer and the movie is fabricated by the press, carefully thought out, to create a scandal, and then finally make Freddie into a bad person as well. Something they tried to do all the years Freddie was alive, and even when he was dying. But they failed because of the love and support from their fans. They never managed to stop the love for Queen, despite their efforts. The homofobic press in the UK and also in the USA have always been cruel against Freddie. To write shit reviews is just one part of it. To bring up scandals around Singer is another. And in additon they know bad news are selling.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:33 am

TheHero wrote:One can begin to wonder if all this fuzz about Singer is pushed by the press!

A conspiracy theory: What if all this hate against Singer and the movie is fabricated by the press, carefully thought out, to create a scandal, and then finally make Freddie into a bad person as well. Something they tried to do all the years Freddie was alive, and even when he was dying. But they failed because of the love and support from their fans. They never managed to stop the love for Queen, despite their efforts. The homofobic press in the UK and also in the USA have always been cruel against Freddie. To write shit reviews is just one part of it. To bring up scandals around Singer is another. And in additon they know bad news are selling.

I think, it IS some campaign against BoRhap. But not against Freddie.
I‘ve read a lot of really evil tweets by activists, who slam Singer AND everyone involved with BoRhap for working with him. They use the film and its success now for their fight against Singer. The film is their platform. People finally listen.
I‘ve also noticed, that also many supporters of „A Star is born“ and Lady Gaga can‘t stand it, that their film has been beaten at the Award Shows by BoRhap. So they support the activism against our film.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:11 am

One more thing:

The gay haters/homophobic people and journalists, will use this opportunity to speak out their hate and rage against gay people, (which has been politically incorrect the latest years), now in this case politically correct because they can do it indirectly, as hate against the movie because of Singer, and then say: Look what this kind of lifestyle leads to etc. And if they have hated Queen and Freddie, they can now yell out their hate against the band, by publishing negativity against the biopic and everyone involved.

That is how something politically incorrect suddenly becomes politically correct. And that is why I think these political correctness trends is ridiculous, and I wish people would be more sceptical when these trends spreads globally like a virus. Think, reflect and remember that the press/media is almost more powerful than the government in 2019. They may have an agenda with these synchronized/common hateful articles spreading on the internet from one country to another.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Peavy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 pm

It has always surprised me how fast many people tend to judge a person they don't know, have never met/talked to or even read a lot about. Today it's enough that there are rumours in tabloids and many people believe that as fact and judge the person that way immediately. People rather want to have an "opinion" immediately, instead of waiting for facts and the truth.The latter often doesn't even matter in the end anymore, the damage is done.

All that political bullshit aside, the movie IS still a massive success, despite that bullshit and also some rather negative reviews in the beginning. The music and story speaks for itself and as sad as these associations/early judgments have negative impact on the movie, it's doesn't affect the big picture of the movie being a fun and enjoyable movie that most people who saw it like and gets them interested in Queen's music. This won't change, even it doesn't win this or that award now.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to The Show Must Go On