Very Interesting quote at the BAFTA's re Queen Live Archive

Discuss current and upcoming Queen projects.

Very Interesting quote at the BAFTA's re Queen Live Archive

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but during the post BAFTA award for best Sound in a Movie, the team who won the award for Bohemian Rhapsody were interviewed about the award and one quote stood out above them all.

When asked about how much research / deep diving did the team do into the Queen sound, Paul Massey stated they were allowed access to all the live archive Queen had and to quote "We could go back to almost every concert they ever performed". So is this the conformation we have all wished for, that in fact the band did record pretty much every live show they played, presumably soundboard quality too! At last surely this confirms what a lot of Queen fans have speculated over for years.

Video below, quote at 2:22 :D

phpBB [video]

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Re: Very Interesting quote at the BAFTA's re Queen Live Arch

Postby BitterTears » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm

I dunno. We know that they have all the 'bootlegs' catalogued and so on. I'm sure they have the best collection of Queen live shows possible but I suspect many of them may be audience recordings and so on that they've simply come across or been sent over the years once Greg started to really get the archive sorted.

Hope I'm wrong though.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Greg has stated that the number up to releasable quality is quite low though.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby QueenFan19 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 pm

They may have quite a few recordings in the archives but some won't be very good quality. Some audience recordings may be better than soundboard recordings.

There's a soundboard recording from Richfield in January 1977 available to listen to but unfortunately is of average quality due to a lot of tape hiss which may be the case with a lot of recordings.

However the live version of Sleeping On The Sidewalk came from a soundboard recording in excellent quality it could be a one off. Yet an additional song (White Christmas) was going to appear on The American Dream/Rock The World documentary but was dropped for Brian and Roger disliking the performance not for quality reasons.

Seeing how the former was played at the start of the tour and the latter at the end, it may be that every show (or at least most shows) from the start of the News Of The World tour to the end may exist in the archives in excellent quality. Though shows prior to this may be in the same or even worse quality than the Richfield recording.
Well I'm just 17 and all I wanna do is disappear
Do you know what I mean there's a lot of space between my ears
The way that I touch don't feel nothin'

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 pm

I have been saying for some time now it is VERY important that audio only concerts that do not have complimentary film/video DESPERATLY need to be released in a professional and official manner. I don't mean to be a punk ass Debbie Downer but I would not take what the guy said as face value. I would imagine they probably meant all that they have in the archives and not a literal every show. Though that would be nice. I have a snarky bad feeling it could even mean all of their professional concerts...that have already been released but let's hope it ain't that bad. Time to get on it boys! Along with new studio recordings, singles, and a few e.p.s here and there with Adam Lambert! Leading up eventually to a new studio l.p. with him of course!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby FCB101 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I totally agree with what AlexKx says!

They should at least release their finest live shows, even if the audio is only soundboard quality.
Shows they have in sound quality comparable to Sleeping on the sidewalk from the NOTW box are just perfect!

We know they have stuff like LA Forum 22-12-77, Madison Square Garden 17-11-78, fantastic live killers shows like Paris 01-03-79 and several Crazy tour shows!
Release a couple from each tour, just the very best and do some lovely imaginative write ups...

Such a project would be AMAZING!

FCB101
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

BitterTears wrote:I dunno. We know that they have all the 'bootlegs' catalogued and so on. I'm sure they have the best collection of Queen live shows possible but I suspect many of them may be audience recordings and so on that they've simply come across or been sent over the years once Greg started to really get the archive sorted.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I remember many years ago, when the bootlegs were officially released as downloads here on queenonline, or queen-fip.com.

I think they were called Top 100 Bootlegs.

.... Yes they were..:

.... and here is the list of concerts that were available:

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/di ... tlegs.html

Examples are Cologne 1974, Copenhagen 1977, Milan 1984 and Berlin 1986.

The project was abandoned due to low interest.
On such a breathless night as this
Upon my brow the lightest kiss
I walked alone
~ Queen II ~

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to The Show Must Go On