The Rhapsody Tour

Discuss Queen's collaboration with Adam Lambert
Kes

Re: The Rhapsody Tour

Post by Kes »

Singing well IS a talent, but Mayer literally spent years locked in his bedroom doing scales and finger exercises, over and over again . He truly is one of the world's finest guitarists, and you only get good on a guitar by hard work, and a bloody good memory.

A singer either has an ability to sing, or they haven't. It takes practice, but if you have the ability, practice isn't THAT neccessary. Now looking pretty, that is something AL spends time on. I always wonder about ladies swooning over gay guys, and quite why they're attracted to them. Sorry, that's a piece of maths I've never been able to figure out.

I guess it's like guys attracted to lesbians, I suppose, but I can honestly say, I don't know any who are.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Kes wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm Singing well IS a talent, but Mayer literally spent years locked in his bedroom doing scales and finger exercises, over and over again . He truly is one of the world's finest guitarists, and you only get good on a guitar by hard work, and a bloody good memory.

A singer either has an ability to sing, or they haven't. It takes practice, but if you have the ability, practice isn't THAT neccessary. Now looking pretty, that is something AL spends time on. I always wonder about ladies swooning over gay guys, and quite why they're attracted to them. Sorry, that's a piece of maths I've never been able to figure out.

I guess it's like guys attracted to lesbians, I suppose, but I can honestly say, I don't know any who are.
I still like Mayer more than AL honestly, and there is a heck of many more artists that I like more than Lambert anyways. To call the video that you posted above as "noise" and not music, says it all really. At least Mayer canot play an instrument and Lambert can't. He couldn't be bothered to even learn IIRC.

I can honestly say I used to swoon over George Michael years ago, of course this was before he came out. I stopped swooning over artists years ago. It's about the music for me rather than looks.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Adam is a handsome man but if he didn’t have a spectacular voice to go with it he would just be a handsome man! It was his version of “Ring of Fire” that made me his fan!

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

carolb57 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:49 pm Adam is a handsome man but if he didn’t have a spectacular voice to go with it he would just be a handsome man! It was his version of “Ring of Fire” that made me his fan!

Handsome man first, spectacular voice second as you put it. :lol:

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Black Wings wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:57 pm
carolb57 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:49 pm Adam is a handsome man but if he didn’t have a spectacular voice to go with it he would just be a handsome man! It was his version of “Ring of Fire” that made me his fan!

And a spectacular personality!

Kes

Post by Kes »

We like who we like.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

carolb57 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:01 am
Black Wings wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:57 pm

And a spectacular personality!

I'm a huge fan of Freddie Mercury's, because I think he's talented in many ways and the courage he'd shown throughout his career and in real life as well. There is a lot to be said about that man for never giving up, even in the face of a terminal illness.
In all the music I like, I will say this much, it doesn't depend on how someone looks for me. I outgrew that decades ago. I think it's a shame there is so much focus on how someone looks and I'm glad I like Freddie and Queen ( and so many other artists ) for more reasons than just looks.

whitequeen20

Post by whitequeen20 »

Kes wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 pm Singing well IS a talent, but Mayer literally spent years locked in his bedroom doing scales and finger exercises, over and over again . He truly is one of the world's finest guitarists, and you only get good on a guitar by hard work, and a bloody good memory.

I'm far more interested in talent than how someone looks and then personality is next for me personally but I can see why some women would be attracted to him (or some other gay guys) since attraction is about a lot of things and being gay doesn't change those things. Plus when it's someone famous you're never gonna actually meet and get off with them so it's just a fanstasy thing the same as fancying any famous person.

Never really listened to Mayer before, he's definitely impressive on guitar I'm gonna have to check him out more now, not sure about his voice I'd have to hear more than that one song, it definitely suited the blues style though.

As to singers not needing to practice I'd say you can be a natural singer and have abillity but you're never gonna reach your potential and be technically good without practice although I know some think that takes something away from the voice. Adam might spend time on looking pretty but he's spent years and years practicing and taking vocal lessons for his voice, yeah he likes clothes and make up etc but vocal quality is No 1 before any of that for him despite appearances that might make someone think otherwise.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Last I'll post here about John Mayer, but here's his 'pop' side.

Before you say it, yes he looks awkward, and scruffy in the video, because that's what the message in the song's all about.

He's basically a blues guitarist, at heart, but out of that, he's managed to branch out into pop, country, and a number of different styles. Strangely enough, it's that ability in musicianship that drew me to Queen, in the first place. Someone determined not to be pinned into one bag.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Kes wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:13 am Last I'll post here about John Mayer, but here's his 'pop' side.

Before you say it, yes he looks awkward, and scruffy in the video, because that's what the message in the song's all about.

He's basically a blues guitarist, at heart, but out of that, he's managed to branch out into pop, country, and a number of different styles. Strangely enough, it's that ability in musicianship that drew me to Queen, in the first place. Someone determined not to be pinned into one bag.
He's original. One of the very few who have been original since he started. I remember being amazed by Your Body Is A Wonderland back in the day, it was so simply done, and I think that simplicity is what drew me in. I like a fair bit of country music so it was interesting for me to see him branch out that way.
As for being awkward, sometimes it works, as it does in the video you posted. Sometimes I really hate cock sureness in music, for example Gene Simmons. I don't think he has just confidence, it's arrogance.
Freddie and Queen sure had the glitz in their looks at times,, but at the end of the day the music stood out the most. They would not be legends just for being "pretty" "handsome", I dare say.